5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

damage resistance issue?

Hi, I'm running into a resistance issue, and I wonder if I'm just understanding the rule set wrong. I'm running Rise of Tiamat premium module with all the rule books ( PHBD, DMG & MM), Specifically, the party just battled some Helmed Horrors, which have resistance to blunt, pierce, and slash from non magic weapons that aren't adamantine.

The monster resistance syntax loaded is " RESIST: bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, !magic, !adamantine; "

When damaging it with a +1 Longsword dropped in from the DMG, it still receives a partial resistance to it's damage.

Here is what came up on the damage roll:
    [DAMAGE (M)] Longsword, +1 [TYPE: slashing (1d8+4=5]

Here is what the damage calculated too:
    Damage [2] -> [to Helmed Horror] [PARTIALLY RESISTED][STATUS:Light]

Weapon does show the Magic property. Syntax " Versatlie (1d10), magic "

I was under the impression that weapons with the Magic and/or Adamantine properties should bypass the damage resistance and inflict full damage. Am I wrong in this assumption?
    Or is it intended to still resist blunt, pierce and slash damage unless the weapon has the Adamantine property also? Does that mean only the magic damage of 1 point (+1 weapon) bypasses the resistance, but the base damage is still resisted?

If anyone has more info on this, let me know. Much appreciated, thanks

Yea, I thought you might be on to something since "Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non magical weapons that aren't adamantine" So I tried it and it worked fine. see pic. May want to check your magic weapon. click the mag glass on the weapon and under Damage type there needs to magic as pictured

Attachment 13825
    Last edited by gqwebb; April 23rd, 2016 at 03:41.
    VR Gaming on I9 9900K RTX 3090 ( 4k on the go on I7 6700HQ 965M )
    Fantasy Grounds Ultimate in HD
    member_gqwebb

the magic properties needs to be on the damage type line for the damage roll, and not just in the weapon properties, I believe. There is stuff in the works that will make that be picked up on and recognised, but I think it's not active just yet.
    Change the weapon damage to be 1d8 + 4 slashing, magic

Quote Originally Posted by spite View Post
    the magic properties needs to be on the damage type line for the damage roll, and not just in the weapon properties, I believe. There is stuff in the works that will make that be picked up on and recognised, but I think it's not active just yet.
    Change the weapon damage to be 1d8 + 4 slashing, magic
    A weapon that has the 'magic' property in the properties box will automatically add the magic type to the damage. This applies whether the weapon comes from whatever source, DMG or user created and I believe from any of the modules. There was a problem just after the DMG came out where items didn't have the magic tag. However that was fixed and there was an update sometime ago.

To the OP, as has been pointed out above, something has gone wrong with the weapon. It may be the case that it was given to the player when the magic property wasn't working. I suggest that you delete it from the player's inventory and give him a new one from the DMG. The ouput in chat should show the magic tag as in gqwebb's attachment.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thanks for the screen shots and tips, I got it working now. The magic type on the weapons was listed in the upper properties box, but not the lower box showing damaged type. By adding ',magic' int the damage type box, the rolls now work correctly. Cheers!

Now that we have that cleared up, let me ask a related question, more about 5e rules than about FG implementation. There is a magic item, "Bracers of Archery" which gives +2 to damage with Short or Longbows. I'm pretty sure that shooting non-magical ammunition with a +1 Longbow makes the attack a magical attack for the purposes of piercing resistance. But I'm pretty sure that Bracers of Archery don't provide a bypass to piercing resistance. Do any of you know whether or not my presumptions are correct?

Hey ffujita, the way I read it, the bracers don't actually enchant the ammunition and it doesn't lend a 'magic' property to the ammo.It gives a Proficiency with long and short bows and lends a +2 damage bonus, but this bonus is not flagged with a damage type, like 'magic', so it can't bypass resistance needing 'magic' or any other type.

While wearing these bracers, you have proficiency with the longbow and shortbow, and you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls on ranged attacks made with such weapons. Yes, HavocSmurf on it. The item is not even keyed to applying this automatically. You would have to go and make the changes for this manually.

Attachment 13837
    VR Gaming on I9 9900K RTX 3090 ( 4k on the go on I7 6700HQ 965M )
    Fantasy Grounds Ultimate in HD
    member_gqwebb

Quote Originally Posted by HavocSmurf View Post
    Hey ffujita, the way I read it, the bracers don't actually enchant the ammunition and it doesn't lend a 'magic' property to the ammo.It gives a Proficiency with long and short bows and lends a +2 damage bonus, but this bonus is not flagged with a damage type, like 'magic', so it can't bypass resistance needing 'magic' or any other type.
    Indeed, when I pointed this out, the Player said, "Show me where it says that a Longbow +1 gives a magic property to the ammo and then I'll be satisfied." And I was stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by ffujita View Post
    Indeed, when I pointed this out, the Player said, "Show me where it says that a Longbow +1 gives a magic property to the ammo and then I'll be satisfied." And I was stumped.
    But what you should have said was well have a look at the DMG errata and there you'll find it

Magic Weapons (p. 140). The section ends with a new paragraph: “If a magic weapon has the ammunition property, ammunition fired from it is considered magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage."
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information