STAR TREK 2d20
Page 14 of 15 First ... 412131415 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by senjak View Post
    If you use a tv/monitor on its back, cut a plastic sheet to protect it from scratches. I've an example of what I built for my group in another thread.
    Hi Senjak

What did you do to disperse the heat that comes through the monitor?
    Patou a.k.a: Patmaster
    Challenging players since 1987
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    https://twitter.com/PatouLeFou
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

Quote Originally Posted by Patou View Post
    Hi Senjak

What did you do to disperse the heat that comes through the monitor?
    I haven't seen the monitor heat up, even after more than 6 hours of play.

None of the vents on the back/bottom of the monitor are blocked and there's a good inch or more clearance under most of the monitor.

Look down in https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...r-FG-IRL/page2 and you can see a picture of the front and back. (and assorted weird things on my dining room table!)

Senjak

Quote Originally Posted by senjak View Post
    I haven't seen the monitor heat up, even after more than 6 hours of play.

None of the vents on the back/bottom of the monitor are blocked and there's a good inch or more clearance under most of the monitor.

Look down in https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...r-FG-IRL/page2 and you can see a picture of the front and back. (and assorted weird things on my dining room table!)

Senjak
    Pretty awesome stuff!
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

I always use a projector and Fantasy Ground.

I have a 120" wall screen that we use to display the players view and I (as the DM) use my laptop for the DM view behind a DM screen. (Wich means, two clients on the same pc)

I use syrinscape for sfx and music. (home theatre system provide an excelent ambience)

Theres no more battle mat that has to be redrawn every scene.
    No minis to manage.

Most of my players appreciate they only need to point at the screen to tell me what they do, where they move to.

But lately, I've been missing the old days. I am thinking of going back to the pen&paper only. I miss rolling dices.
    (I tried to roll manualy but just clicking saves everyone a lot of time.

All in all, it is a great experience. But I think in the long run, players forget to use one thing... they're imagination.
    Visuals are provided when using a virtual tabletop and maps (from book modules for exemple) so You dont have to mention the ground and walls are made of stone.
    They see it. Saving time again. But... Theres no more... "romance" between the DM and players. It feels video gamish. It takes a part of the dnd soul.

Maybe I am too nostalgic. Maybe I should accept the evolution that we untertook many years ago. I always wanted to provide the best experience for my players.
    But maybe I went too far. Maybe I am taking them by the hand. Carrying, dragging them into something I can't control anymore.

Are you there players? Am I here? Am I just a screen now?

Blog Entries
    Hey Furentz, welcome to the forums

Your players are lucky, not just because of the tech you use, but because of your interest in what makes the soul of the game.

IMO Technology, and FG, can either add to or remove from the soul and enjoyment of the game. I would suggest you try and make sure where you project FG is "inside" the group or is the center of the focus. And then, as I think you know, don't focus on the technical accuracy, but on the feel. See if you can get your players to use voices, and stay in character.

And, as you probably know, sometimes we have to try something new. You'll find it. Keep looking

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I've been thinking of putting it up on a wall but the joy I having it on the table keeps that board element. Also when it's time for theater of the mind you can simply post an image of the scene area and a few pics of npc's and go from there

I use two laptops and have all character PC s off one player laptop. They share the mouse but have designated a handler among them. I have my set up on my side.

I also miss the minis but I enjoy not constantly getting up to move my npc's or to clear the board. And also locking the tokens is something I enjoy...hehehe.
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

Blog Entries
    Certainly the sword swings both ways as far as technology goes.
    I ran a game the other day only using the drawing tool to create my maps as I didn't have what I needed available. I was able to run a much more fluid session as a result, although the drawing tool is pretty cumbersome. If it were a bit easier to use... it might give you more of the feel you are talking about.. where you describe the scene and draw it out at the same time. Back in the day markers on the battle map were all the maps we ever had... I too have gotten spoiled by the fancy maps with all the 'stone' and other details set out in front of everyone. The freedom of 'drawing it out' definitely changes some things.
    I don't know that I miss fiddling with my miniatures and counters.. sometimes I do miss that too.. and definitely the feel of the dice in your hand just isn't there virtually... but hey.. I have SOOOO much more opportunity now with FG.. playing with people all over the world. It's very awesome.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Enjoyed reading the thread. I have thought it would be nice to run a campaign with digital maps in a table top setting. But definitely don't want to lose the use of mini's and rolling dice. I would to read more current experiences with this kind of set up.

Welcome to the FG community and forums Darce.

Quote Originally Posted by Darce View Post
    Enjoyed reading the thread. I have thought it would be nice to run a campaign with digital maps in a table top setting. But definitely don't want to lose the use of mini's and rolling dice. I would to read more current experiences with this kind of set up.
    Welcome to the forums.

What do you want to know? I used a TV laid flat on the table all the time for my face-to-face games. I used FG to display the maps. It works really well for me and my players. Some info (and photos) in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-To-Face-games
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information