DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 15 of 15 First ... 5131415
    I think the TV would be the easiest to use with a laptop or server. But I'm looking mostly the functionality of using the map for lighting and triggers when PC move abut the map. No so much for using the FG for dice rolling. Hoping FG will help with initiative turns and storing character sheets. I also would like to the use of DC planning for encounters and encounter XP tally for all encounter tasks, ie. traps and quest. Just a few thoughts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darce View Post
    I think the TV would be the easiest to use with a laptop or server. But I'm looking mostly the functionality of using the map for lighting and triggers when PC move abut the map. No so much for using the FG for dice rolling. Hoping FG will help with initiative turns and storing character sheets. I also would like to the use of DC planning for encounters and encounter XP tally for all encounter tasks, ie. traps and quest. Just a few thoughts.
    Their is no dynamic lighting in FG, if that is what you mean. Their is a Fog of War mask that the GM manually adds and removes. As for triggers, not sure what you mean. The GM can put links to story entries/encounters/treasure/sound/etc on the map that only they can see (unless they share them) and then click on the link to open the item, but their is nothing like a video game where a something happens automatically when a character moves into an area.

One of the strengths of FG is the combat tracker, used for initiative, tracking hit points, targeting, etc. And if you put in the character sheets and depending upon the ruleset you will have some automation with it, including things like FG telling you if you hit, doing half damage on a save, etc.

And if you haven't, check out the video tutorials to see some of the things you can do with FG.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

But I'm looking mostly the functionality of using the map for lighting and triggers when PC move abut the map.
    1) FG does not automatically provide dynamic lighting. The GM has to manually remove the image mask to reveal/hide the map as required.
    2) Even if FG could do this, if you're using minis on top of a TV then FG doesn't have any idea where your PCs are. Unless you also have tokens on the map underneath the minis - which is a lot of extra effort.

No so much for using the FG for dice rolling. Hoping FG will help with initiative turns and storing character sheets. I also would like to the use of DC planning for encounters and encounter XP tally for all encounter tasks, ie. traps and quest. Just a few thoughts.
    It's really up to you how far you go with using Fantasy Grounds for a face-to-face game. Keep in mind that Fantasy Grounds is primarily designed for VTT play - so some things are limited/require work-arounds to operate well for a face-to-face game.

If you don't have the players connecting to manage their character sheets (which you can, as long as you're happy having all your players sat around the table with laptops), then having up-to-date PC information in FG for face-to-face games requires the GM to spend a lot of time keeping them up to date. I'd suggest just having basic PC placeholders, so that you can have PCs in the initiative order (combat tracker).

All of this is really up to how you run a game, how you and your players want to interact, what data you want to have in FG (keeping in mind that if the data is not available in a FG product, you'll need to enter it all yourself), whether you use it for pre-game prep or in-game assistance.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Here's my setup and the things I love about FG and it's array of tools for the DM:
    * Combat Tracker: Control hub for the DM. Initiative, to hit, damage, single click npc view, effects, etc.
    * Zooming out for long range attacks. Before you were limited by your map size. Now without using minis you can simply pan out and see whether or not you're in range.
    * quick search for basically anything in your libraries

I could go on and on. What I love most about this setup is not having to constantly get up and move the minis, change the tabletop board, or gradually draw or setup props. Now I can add, remove, place token effects from symbol sets, snd the the players only what I want them to see. In this setup I have a player laptop for all at the table. Each of their characters is setup on it. I have my own setup on my end. I use a cabled connection to prioritize over everybody else in the house...hehehe.IMG_20190208_154217.jpg
    Patou a.k.a: Patmaster
    Challenging players since 1987
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    https://twitter.com/PatouLeFou
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

Thank you for the example Patou. Hopefully Unity will provided more custom tools. Basically using computer tools has been my interest since 1982 when my friends started playing AD&D. We crafted a dice roller and a random monster generator with a commodore 64 computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patou View Post
    What I love most about this setup is not having to constantly get up and move the minis, change the tabletop board, or gradually draw or setup props. Now I can add, remove, place token effects from symbol sets, snd the the players only what I want them to see.IMG_20190208_154217.jpg
    That is exactally what I want. Also to save the map with the PC positions at the end of a session.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patou View Post
    In this setup I have a player laptop for all at the table. Each of their characters is setup on it. I have my own setup on my end. I use a cabled connection to prioritize over everybody else in the house...hehehe.IMG_20190208_154217.jpg
    You'l have to show my more of the set up. The players share one laptop for PC sheets?

Blog Entries
    That is exactally what I want. Also to save the map with the PC positions at the end of a session.
    Saving positions is standard functionality for FG. Just exit the campaign and next time you start up, open the CT and the map and you are ready to go.

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Saving positions is standard functionality for FG. Just exit the campaign and next time you start up, open the CT and the map and you are ready to go.
    Sorry LordEntrails, I was mearly stating that is why I like to use FG. NOT that it should be a new feature.

Blog Entries
    Sorry LordEntrails, I was mearly stating that is why I like to use FG. NOT that it should be a new feature.
    No problem, no need to apologize. Just wanted to make sure you weren't waiting for FGU for that functionality

Thread Information