FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Blog Entries
    Man if Rolemaster isn't the most detailed system I probably need to rethink my hobby.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Archlyte View Post
    I'm disappointed though because I was hoping for once to have something that was more quantified where combat is concerned.
    Hey, if you don't like it house rule it for your own games. But, as has been mentioned above, you'll probably end up with there being unbalance in the game if you significantly reduce the action percentage for using a bow.

But, as you've just said you're new to Rolemaster I'd recommend holding off messing with game balance that has been developed over decades of play until you've actually played a few sessions - then you can change what you have issues with based off in-game experience, rather than just looking at the numbers.
    Last edited by Trenloe; January 22nd, 2015 at 05:21.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for this reply, I see what you mean. I'm disappointed though because I was hoping for once to have something that was more quantified where combat is concerned.
    There are quite a few optional rules for Rolemaster where initiative and activity percentages are concerned if you can get a hold of some of the older Rolemaster Companions.

Ardem, does give an example from his game which is really close to what you are talking about. In his example using the 70% reload times for the composite bow are really close at 90% for firing a long bow with 40% reload times (40+50).

Trenloe's advice is the best though. At first run it using some of the rules that have been play tested until you get a better feel for the system. It is always easier to make a change that benefits the PCs than it is to do one that takes something away. I doubt your archers will complain if they can reload in half the time but your melee and spell casters might.

One another note becareful about adding more detail combat rules, I was using the new rule system in RMU. This is in test phase it add a lot more combat rules, the reason I went back to FRP was because combat just took too long and the player and I (as GM) was getting frustrated as it was just delaying not enhancing the game.

I love detail, love love love. However not everyone will have the same knowledge or indepth learning of the ruleset, so you are forever looking thing up for other players. I wish I could play with rule gods, that knew every rule without me needing to know it or look it up <smile>

Remember the main goal is fun for all, if you achieve that, that all you need. Good luck in what ever way you go.

I have played RM for MANY years, like som many others here. And I have never used the % thing. I have tried a lot of different initiative system in RM though, but now in FG I just let each player take their turn according to their initiative rolled in the CT. I play with grown people who accept that I decide what they can do and what they can't. They trust in me (SUCKERS!) to make it fair, cinematic and most of all, fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardem View Post
    One another note becareful about adding more detail combat rules, I was using the new rule system in RMU. This is in test phase it add a lot more combat rules, the reason I went back to FRP was because combat just took too long and the player and I (as GM) was getting frustrated as it was just delaying not enhancing the game.

I love detail, love love love. However not everyone will have the same knowledge or indepth learning of the ruleset, so you are forever looking thing up for other players. I wish I could play with rule gods, that knew every rule without me needing to know it or look it up <smile>

Remember the main goal is fun for all, if you achieve that, that all you need. Good luck in what ever way you go.
    Hey Thanks Ardem. I will try to never forget the end goal. I am trying to find a Fantasy system that meets my need for flexibility, and non linear damage which RMC has.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiqon View Post
    I have played RM for MANY years, like som many others here. And I have never used the % thing. I have tried a lot of different initiative system in RM though, but now in FG I just let each player take their turn according to their initiative rolled in the CT. I play with grown people who accept that I decide what they can do and what they can't. They trust in me (SUCKERS!) to make it fair, cinematic and most of all, fun.
    Sage Advice Tiqon. I will use your method for quick mook fights

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Hey, if you don't like it house rule it for your own games. But, as has been mentioned above, you'll probably end up with there being unbalance in the game if you significantly reduce the action percentage for using a bow.

But, as you've just said you're new to Rolemaster I'd recommend holding off messing with game balance that has been developed over decades of play until you've actually played a few sessions - then you can change what you have issues with based off in-game experience, rather than just looking at the numbers.

Wait, don't you only get one attack per round regardless of speed? I was sure that is what it says in the book. So is the danger reducing it to the point of an arrow every round versus every two rounds? Am I wrong about the 1 attack per round thing?

Wait, don't you only get one attack per round regardless of speed? I was sure that is what it says in the book. So is the danger reducing it to the point of an arrow every round versus every two rounds? Am I wrong about the 1 attack per round thing?
    You can only cast one spell per round, regardless of percentages. You can make multiple attacks if you're able (attacks are normally 60%, but some advantages / spells / etc will allow more than 100% activity).

Hey Thanks Ardem. I will try to never forget the end goal. I am trying to find a Fantasy system that meets my need for flexibility, and non linear damage which RMC has.
    Rolemaster is the only system that I've played that really makes me respect combat and the damage you can take. The first game I played in with FG was after many years of not playing and I forgot how you really need to think about the tactics. I volunteered to be the guinea pig by sitting alone at a campfire while 4 or 5 orcs came at me. The rest of the party was waiting to ambush them but they were going to be using ranged attacks. A round or two before they got to me I realized my mistake and by then it was too late. I went as defensive as I could and still came away with a broken hip. I was much smarter after that by doing my best to limit the opponents options and waiting for the best opportunity. No other system makes me worry about fighting like Rolemaster. I like that fact.

Thread Information