STAR TREK 2d20

Thread: Grim Press Auto

Grim Press Auto

I was wondering if folks could weigh in the Grim Press effects coding, as compared to what is available in the core books as well as Rob Twohy's stuff.

Thanks.

The products you mention don't add new effects; those are built into the ruleset. So anything that is in those products you can do yourself. Additionally the ruleset creates effects from language used in spells etc to create the effects when they are added to the character's action tab or to the Combat Tracker. The in-built system however isn't perfect and some effects are not create, because the language isn't understood by the ruleset, or effects aren't strictly necessary.

What the above products do is fill in the gaps where the ruleset doesn't create effects; and adds in some effects for other things that the ruleset doesn't even look at or attempt to make effects. In short what they do is (possibly) save you time in learning and creating the effects for yourself. I would always recommend that you learn how to create effects yourself so you know how effects work and what their limitations are; before diving into such products. In doing so you'll have a better understanding what these packages do and you'll then know whether they are worth the time saving possibilities.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard203 View Post
    I was wondering if folks could weigh in the Grim Press effects coding, as compared to what is available in the core books as well as Rob Twohy's stuff.

Thanks.
    What Zac should have said was that the enourmous pain in the *** of doing your own effects and not having them pre configured by FGU has caused two different attempts to solve this irritation. Looking to the relevant discord sites for Twohy's and Grim Press would be a better place to ask about these. But I recommend you find someone who has used both and get your input from them. I've only used the Grim Press one as it works in conjunction with one of my extensions and some others in Grim Press area. Twohy's works with their own extensions and I have no personal knowledge how they work so I'm a bad reference. You need to find someone who has used both.

Look in the forum threads for each of these FORGE items though the discord is probably better. Always research before you buy is my advice. And as Zac says if you enjoy doing hundreds of definitions yourself - or just as you gradually encounter them in your game you can do them yourself. I'm WAY to lazy for that so want automation so I never have to think about them again in the 5E PHB, MM, MtoM, and DMG manuals I use. Again no idea about other manuals and their supplemental data - just that FGU does not handle supplemental data well without extensions.

Plus standard FGU does not handle all the effects they should so your stuck with extensions like BCEG to expand those capabilities.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    What Zac should have said was that the enourmous pain in the *** of doing your own effects and not having them pre configured by FGU has caused two different attempts to solve this irritation. Looking to the relevant discord sites for Twohy's and Grim Press would be a better place to ask about these. But I recommend you find someone who has used both and get your input from them.
    I mean, that's why I asked.

I have been using Rob's for years now. I was trying to figure out whether there was an advantage to using grim's.

I would avoid this discussion in the forums as it often leads to mud slinging.
    Feel free to DM me on Discord at dud_in and I will give you my opinion. I own both products and would be happy to give feedback

One thing to be aware of is that they are "packaged differently". Grim Press does it by each *book*, Rob does it by *categories*. If you use everything it doesn't matter if you don't it may.

Thread Information