5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: Sneak Attack

Ok,

That is why I asked as the PHB, does not seem to say Magic overcomes Rage.
    Was wondering if I missed an one liner else where.

Yes, you're correct: rage resists damage types whether it comes from a magical weapon or a mundane source. "!magic" is used for resistances like that of some undead, such as a wight.

Sorry top revive a dead thread, but where do I right click after I have added the power to edit it?

Never mind, i got it, Didn't realize I was to but in Action Display!
    Last edited by jamiefluk; July 23rd, 2015 at 01:11.

Old threads never die, they just fade away. See what I did there?

Let me ask about how to create an effect for the Assassinate automatic critical damage when surprise is achieved.

Thanks!

<response> Okay, I will let you ask. </response>
    <reply> Thanks! How would I create an effect for the Assassinate automatic critical damage when the target is surprised? </reply>

Oh, and now that I've tried it, I can't get the ADVATK effect (listed in the Wiki) to work either -- so an example for that would be wonderful as well.
    Last edited by ffujita; October 20th, 2015 at 02:21.

Let me ask about how to create an effect for the Assassinate automatic critical damage when surprise is achieved.

Thanks!
    I don't really think you need an effect and I'll tell you why:

First lets get clear what "surprise" is:
    To have a "Surprise" in 5th edition means that you successfully sneaked into an enemy's chamber or something AND you rolled initiative and came up higher than the enemy you're planning to attack AND the enemy's passive perception is lower than your STEALTH CHECK. If all that happens, then yes, you have surprised an enemy and we move to the next step.

By this time (3rd level) your Rogue would have already programed an effect for the Sneak Attack. Which should be something like:
    Sneak Attack; DMG: 2d6; [ACTION]; [SELF] (change the sneak attack dice if more)

And because making a critical hit this way has a low probability of happening you can simply roll the damage as critical without creating an effect just for that. How to do this?

1. Left Mouse Click on the Effect called "Sneak Attack" one time (this will apply it to the character. must have the "[SELF]" property)
    2. In your actions tab, were you have the weapon you're attacking with, hover your mouse over the Damage Dice
    3. Hold Shift + Left Mouse Double Click and the damage will be rolled as Critical

So, as you can see, its so easy to make the critical damage that you don't even need to create such effect. Additionally if you're asking yourself, the answer is YES, the sneak attack damage also goes critical in this way. Maybe the reason this is so simple to do is the same reason why there's no effect to "make critical damage" as far as I know.
    Last edited by whiteTiki; October 20th, 2015 at 02:34.

whiteTiki: Adventurers League Player
    Experience: 10 years; DM and Player
    Games: D&D, Pathfinder, World of Darkness

As whiteTiki saya there isn't an effect that will roll critical damage. As he says you can hold SHIFT whilst you roll damage and you will automatically do critical damage. You can also click the 'critical' button in the modifiers box and then roll damage as normal to make a critical damage roll.

As regards ADVATK: you just place this effect on the player (or NPC) who has advantage and then roll attack dice and it should work. Both the player and the target must have been dragged onto the Combat Tracker properly and the person getting the advantage must have targeted the target in order for the dice roll to work. (It will also work if the dice is drag/dropped onto the target either on the CT or on a map). No matter how you target the important thing is that both PC and target must have been placed on the CT properly.

Also you can simply use the ADV button at the bottom left of the screen to indicate to FG that the attack should be at advantage.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

If what you want is to have Advantage on your next roll or rolls (if it has duration) then you should use ADVATK.

Examples:
    1. Use it to get advantage for the next roll and make the effect consume after the roll has been made:
      • Name of you Ability; ADVATK; [ACTION]; [SELF]
    2. Use it to get advantage for the next roll and make the effect consume after specified time:
      • Name of you Ability; ADVATK; [SELF] (And you must use the Magnifying glass icon to edit the spell and the duration)

NOTE: On the other hand, you can substitute ADVATK for DISATK and get Disadvantage.

If what you want is to get advantage when you, someone in specific or everyone attacks a specific Target, then you should use GRANTADVATK

Examples:
    1. Use it to grant advantage for the next roll and make the effect consume after the roll has been made:
      • Name of you Ability; GRANTADVATK; [ACTION] (anyone that tries to attack will have advantage)
    2. Use it to grant advantage for the next roll and make the effect consume after specified time:
      • Name of you Ability; GRANTADVATK (anyone that tries to attack will have advantage), (And you must use the Magnifying glass icon to edit the spell and the duration)
    3. Use it to grant advantage for the next roll and that applies JUST FOR CERTAIN CHARACTERS and also make the effect consume after the roll has been made to that specific target:
      • Name of you Ability; GRANTADVATK; [ACTION] (You must use the combat tracker, first apply the effect, then display the effects on the target from the combat tracker windows, last drag and drop target icon <A small target Icon that appears at the right of the effect description> to the character that will be able to "consume" the effect. <this will make the characters targeted the only ones that can trigger the effect>)

NOTE: On the other hand, you can substitute GRANTADVATK for GRANTDISATK and grant Disadvantage.

BTW: I think there should be a Keyboard shortcut to roll with advantage or disadvantage (just like the "holding shift" to roll a critical). These 2 features are used a lot. I know that there's a button in the bottom left corner for this, but I think it's still slow. Maybe a "hold CTRL+SHIFT" for Advantage and "CTRL+ALT" for disadvantage.
    Last edited by whiteTiki; October 20th, 2015 at 19:10.

whiteTiki: Adventurers League Player
    Experience: 10 years; DM and Player
    Games: D&D, Pathfinder, World of Darkness

Thanks to WhiteTiki for helping me out with that -- I got it to work, and it's definitely going to make the flow of the next session more fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteTiki;235502
    [B
    BTW:[/B] I think there should be a Keyboard shortcut to roll with advantage or disadvantage (just like the "holding shift" to roll a critical). These 2 features are used a lot. I know that there's a button in the bottom left corner for this, but I think it's still slow. Maybe a "hold CTRL+SHIFT" for Advantage and "CTRL+ALT" for disadvantage.
    I believe that the reason for this not having a short-cut key is that keyboard short-cuts span a number of rulesets. Advantage and disadvantage is unique to 5e and if there were a shortcut it would give odd results in other rulesets, whereas critical damage is pretty much basic to every ruleset on the planet. However I could be wrong on this one.

Also in your example 3 above (and if I am understanding what your aim is) the targeting needs to be set to 'self'. You can also then SHIFT drag the effect onto the target as well as do the thing in the CT.
    Last edited by Zacchaeus; October 20th, 2015 at 20:08.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information