STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

5E - Sentient Items

DM's can now bestow wonder onto the party in the form of Dynamic Items. The items contained in this extension and module, with more modules to follow(which will sell for 500 coins), will work with the extension to allow the DM to bestow upon the party items that modify their description. This is the sentience hiding it's abilities until one "worthy" of it's abilities comes around.

What this means is this extension scans the character sheet for the classes and race of the PC. If either class and/or race matches the requirements set forth by the item, it leaves that section of the description available for review. Otherwise it deletes that section and displays only a basic description of the item.

::UPDATE::
    Extension now takes into account character level, not class level, and Alignment in the form of abbreviated text like LG for Lawful Good or CE for Chaotic Evil. Neutral should be TN for simplicities sake.

:: DM NOTES ::
    These items do not require attunement as the item attunes to the user. Any Dynamic Items made by yourself should NOT be attunable.
    Any custom items made by yourself must come from a module and be identified.
    User made modules can be updated in session by simply reloading the module after exporting, for quick fixes.

The extension can be found here.
    A video showcase is available here.

Syntax Required:
    [Race: whatever] (Only goes off primary race)
    Display whatever abilities the item gives the race.; (End section with a ~ )
    [Class: whatever whatever](two classes allowed)
    Display whatever abilities the item gives the class/es.(End section with a ~ )
    [Level: number]
    Display whatever abilities the item gives the level.(Character Level).(End section with a ~ )
    [Level2: number]
    Display whatever abilities the item gives the level.(Character Level)(End section with a ~ )
    [Level3: number]
    Display whatever abilities the item gives the level.(Character Level)(End section with a ~ )
    [Alignment: abbreviated terms](examples: LG, TN, CE)
    Display whatever abilities the item gives the alignment.(End section with a ~ )
    [Curse]
    Hides whatever abilities the item curses the player with from the player.(End section with a ~ )
    [Base Description]
    (Add the items base description after this)
    Last edited by MyGivinOpinion; November 12th, 2023 at 04:21.
    FG License: Unity Ultimate License
    Timezone: -5 EST/EDT

NOW INCLUDED

Self-updating Items. The items will now reveal their abilities automatically when the character makes the necessary changes without the dm needing to drag a new item to the inventory list once the requirements are met!

The DM will need to reset the item one time after this update if they are already using a Dynamic Item.
    Last edited by MyGivinOpinion; November 6th, 2023 at 10:29.

Sorry about the long break from maintaining this extension. I had school and another massive project on my hands, it's still not finished but I've earned a break after 9 months of development. For my break, I've returned to FGU to try and fix my extension. Which is exactly what I have done. This extension has returned and been more optimized from it's prototype phase. Working on a new update to follow this one soon. It should be a nice one!

Sentient Items has been relabeled Dynamic Items. Dynamic Items has undergone another update, this one makes Dynamic Items fully compatible with Advanced Effects. So that any descriptions containing effects coding will extract that coding and pass it onto the combat tracker by way of Advanced Effects.

This will be very useful for my campaign, I have weapons that evolve as the characters level up, this will simplify things for me.

If you need any assistance in setting it up please let me know.

I love the concept, but I can't get it to work. I had a couple of screenshots, but they aren't uploading here. I'm trying to create a cursed item, but the curse info is showing on the players' screen. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Description

This carefully polished dwarven skull has fine leather straps to secure the skull on the top of the owner's head. When worn, it give +1 to strength and immunity to acid damage.~

[Curse]

At midnight, the skull will excrete a gelatinous cube that will attempt to engulf the owner. Once engulfed, the victem suffers strength drain STR: -1 per round and the acid immunity is removed. Left unchecked, the gelatinous cube will grow to gargantuan size.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Toth View Post
    I love the concept, but I can't get it to work. I had a couple of screenshots, but they aren't uploading here. I'm trying to create a cursed item, but the curse info is showing on the players' screen. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Description

This carefully polished dwarven skull has fine leather straps to secure the skull on the top of the owner's head. When worn, it give +1 to strength and immunity to acid damage.~

[Curse]

At midnight, the skull will excrete a gelatinous cube that will attempt to engulf the owner. Once engulfed, the victem suffers strength drain STR: -1 per round and the acid immunity is removed. Left unchecked, the gelatinous cube will grow to gargantuan size.
    I've not tested this EXT in a bit, but is the item in a module?

@MrDDT... he's everywhere!

Yes, I created the item (the dwarven skull from Dungeon of the Mad Mage), exported into a module, opened the module in the campaign where I created it, dragged the exported item into the player's inventory, opened a second instance on my computer... and the player view still has the "cursed" info. There are some warning and errors when I open the item from the player's inventory:

Warning: window: Anchored static width ignored for control (name) in windowclass (charsheet_overview)
    Warning: window: unable to locate control (properties_label) specified in insertbefore attribute for control (advance_effects_contents) in windowclass (item_main)
    Error: FormattedText SetValue XML.Error: Unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed: p.Line 1. position 198

I know the next step is to try without other extensions- haven't had time to try that yet. Does anything speak to you from the error? To me, it implies I'm using the ~ wrong.

Thread Information