DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Rule clarification (Totall Defense) - Pathfinder

The way it is written:

Total Defense

You can defend yourself as a standard action. You get a +4 dodge bonus to your AC for 1 round. Your AC improves at the start of this action. You can't combine total defense with fighting defensively or with the benefit of the Combat Expertise feat. You can't make attacks of opportunity while using total defense.

So when a character gets two standard actions can they attack with their first standard action and go into total defense with their second under pathfinder rules?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Ultimate License Owner
    Member: THAC0 group

Quote Originally Posted by JerryRig View Post
    So when a character gets two standard actions can they attack with their first standard action and go into total defense with their second under pathfinder rules?
    What characters get two standard actions?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The answer to your question is yes. Though I have never heard of a way to receive a second standard action. The haste spell grants an additional attack with the full attack action. A couple abilities give free actions that mimic something you would need a standard action for.

The closest I can think of is a monk using Panther Style that uses a standard action for total defense then a move action to provoke attacks of opportunity that trigger free action retaliatory strikes.
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickademus View Post
    The closest I can think of is a monk using Panther Style that uses a standard action for total defense then a move action to provoke attacks of opportunity that trigger free action retaliatory strikes.
    In this example there is only one retaliatory strike as it is a swift action, not a free action. But, yeah, good example of when you can do an attack after spending a standard to go into total defence.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    In this example there is only one retaliatory strike as it is a swift action, not a free action. But, yeah, good example of when you can do an attack after spending a standard to go into total defence.
    The Panther Claw feat allows a monk in Panther Style to make a retaliatory strike as a free action up to a number of times in a round equal to its Wisdom modifier (or GM fiat). So in theory a monk with a 20 Wis could go total defense and move 30' through a group of five enemies getting five retaliatory strikes. With the Panther Parry feat, each retaliatory strike comes before the AoO so the monk, if lucky, could drop each enemy before their attack of opportunity had a chance to happen.

What's sick is that a human fighter can all three of these feats (and the prereqs) by 3rd level.
    Last edited by Nickademus; January 14th, 2015 at 22:29.

The Panther Claw feat allows a monk in Panther Style to make a retaliatory strike as a free action up to a number of times in a round equal to its Wisdom modifier (or GM fiat). So in theory a monk with a 20 Wis could go total defense and move 30' through a group of five enemies getting five retaliatory strikes. With the Panther Parry feat, each retaliatory strike comes before the AoO so the monk, if lucky, could drop each enemy before their attack of opportunity had a chance to happen.

What's sick is that a human fighter can all three of these feats (and the prereqs) by 3rd level.
    Oh right, missed that.

Hopefully it won't get too cheesy, especially with intelligent creatures who probably won't take the attack of opportunity after seeing the first of their group get "panthered".

All I'm saying is that when the zombie apocalypse happens, I'm bringing the monk.

Derails aside, I am curious if Jerry found a way to get multiple standard actions. I know some spellcasters that would love that.

Blog Entries

Yowzers.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Amazing Initiative (Ex): At 2nd tier, you gain a bonus on initiative checks equal to your mythic tier. In addition, as a free action on your turn, you can expend one use of mythic power to take an additional standard action during that turn. This additional standard action can't be used to cast a spell. You can't gain an extra action in this way more than once per round.

I would expect something like that from mythic. Not really a part of the normal Pathfinder though. Besides, still can't cast an extra spell. :P

Thread Information