5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last

Channel Divinity; Paladin; Vow of Emnity Effect

Is there a way to add an effect to a foe that will allow only a single player to gain advantage against it?

Ive looked over the effect wiki, but im still not sure if it can be done.

You'd need to use the IF (or IFT) conditional effects - see the "Special Components" section of the 5E Effects Wiki page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ial_Components

The gotcha here is that the ruleset will only recognise valid conditions using this functionality, so you can't just add free text conditions (a PC name, for example) the conditions need to be defined in the ruleset.

I developed an extension that adds in new conditions based off alignment that allows an alignment condition to be placed on a creature and then only specific effects kick in if a targeted creature has a specific alignment. The base functionality could be used for what you want to do, it's for the 3.5e/PFRPG rulesets, but it will be easy enough to adapt for 5E. The theory behind it is mentioned in post #2: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...tion-extension

People have used the principles of this to add things like smite, quarry, mark, etc. as valid conditions. The a player can "mark" a target with a specific condition and use the IFT: xxxx (where xxxx is the new, valid, condition name) to only activate effects after the IFT if the target has the condition.

For example, you could create an extension that add "vow-of-emnity" as a valid condition. That would allow "vow-of-emnity" to be added to a target and the following effect (active on the Paladin) would give that PC attack advantage: IFT: vow-of-emnity; ADVATK
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Gotcha =)

I have no clue how to do the extension stuff.

But a friend of mine has done one so ill talk to him =)

Thanks for the info !

Third party targeting should work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    Im not sure what that means...
    Can you tell im new LOL.

Trenloe: this is super stuff and I would certainly like to add a whole heap of things into 5E so that the IF and IFT means I can add more functionality into the combat tracker. First you must know that my knowledge of scripting is basic to say the least. So before I attempt this and get it horribly wrong can you let me know if I'm on the right lines here. I have managed to figure out how to open the files in your extension; there are only two that I need worry about. The first is the extension.xml file which I have opened (I didn't know windows had a built in .xml editor) and in that file it would seem that all I would need to do would be to add the 5E ruleset just by following the code for the others.
    The next file called 'alignment_conditions.lua is the one where all the excitement occurs. It would seem that all I need to do would be to add whatever conditions I want to the list of those already there - or indeed replace those altogether. It looks like they should all be bracketed by inverted commas and separated by a comma. I'm assuming that the syntax has to be precise.
    Once I have done this I can then save the file, and put it into the extensions folder of the 5E ruleset.
    This all sounds too simple but maybe it is. Am I on the right lines, or is there something else I need to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    The next file called 'alignment_conditions.lua is the one where all the excitement occurs. It would seem that all I need to do would be to add whatever conditions I want to the list of those already there - or indeed replace those altogether. It looks like they should all be bracketed by inverted commas and separated by a comma. I'm assuming that the syntax has to be precise.
    Yep, it is precise, but just follow the examples in the file. Don't use any spaces in the condition name.

Once I have done this I can then save the file, and put it into the extensions folder of the 5E ruleset.
    Yep, repackage your .ext file. Zip the modified extensions files - do this from within the directory where all the files are, don't zip from outside the directory as FG expects the extension.xml to be at the top level of the .ext file and won't display it as a selectable extension if it can't find it. Then rename your .zip to .ext and put it in your FG extensions directory.

This all sounds too simple but maybe it is. Am I on the right lines, or is there something else I need to do?
    Nope, that's it.

EDIT: and use the basic alignment condition extension, not the PFRPG specific one that parses the alignment - it's very specific to PFRPG and might even break some aspects of 5E.
    Last edited by Trenloe; December 23rd, 2014 at 18:13.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Excellent! I'll have a play around with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Griogre View Post
    Can you remind me how to third party target? I'm at work and can't tinker with it.
    "We all take our risks, here in the dungeon." --Bargle
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM
    Watch for Falling Meteors (YouTube Playlist)
    Xorn's 5E @ FG Tutorials (YouTube Playlist)

Ok so i created an effect of ADVATK [SELF]

Target a monster and drop it on myself.... it says ADVATK targets ankylosaurus
    But it still gives me advantage even when i attack something else.

I dunno ...

I also tried GRANTADVATK ...targets that ends up giving stuff advantage but not to a single pc.

I was able to give a single monster advantage against myself but cant seem to reverse it.. ?
    Last edited by Draca; December 25th, 2014 at 05:55.

Thread Information