STAR TREK 2d20
Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Taking the PHB rules as written:

The definition of a "corner" ("Variant: Playing on a Grid" sidebar, PHB page 192): "Diagonal movement can't cross the corner of a wall, large tree or other terrain feature that fills its space.

(You mention this above).

As creatures don't fully fill their space and they aren't terrain features then, taking the rules as written, a creature should be able to move diagonally between two creatures on the other diagonal. Additionally, as far as this specific rule is concerned, one character isn't considered to have a "corner", so two characters standing diagonally adjacent won't have corners too.

But, hey, if you're the GM play it however you wish!
    I agree with this ajudication and the "simple" ajudication of diagonal movement (1 square = 5 feet any direction). I had a player who did not and this player has decided to leave the table. Thanks for all your input guys!
    Ultimate License Holder
    Timezone: UTC -6

DM: 1e Ruins of Adventure, Curse of the Azure Bonds
    DM: 5e Descent into Avernus
    D&D 1e to 5e adventures converted: Keep on the Borderlands, White Plume Mountain, Tomb of Horrors, Against the Giants, Descent into the Depths of the Earth, Shrine of the Kuo-Toa, Vault of the Drow, Queen of the Demon Web Pits
    Transitioning from D&D to DCC

May your dice rolls be ever in your favor.

I don't know if I am reading the other comments right.... but the 5e movement on a combat board used the more than 5ft foot for a diagonal move, as it uses the Pythagorean movement and reads it in
    When I get a player to move.. and I have token lock on , it does a diagonal 5ft then 15ft move for two squares, and when I range attack a line of monsters, all at 35ft, because of the movement I get a 35ft - 45ft range of ranges.... is this right ? If you cant change it, then the 5e rule set conforms to a set of optional rules in the DMG that you cant change ?

true ?

Mavrik there are three sets of movement rules in play here. The base rule for combat is actual distance as explained in the PH on pg 190. In my still somewhat limited experience this seems to work best with "theater of the mind" encounters which, ironically, are usually less precise. So the base rules work best when - there is no grid at all.

On pg 192 of the PH there is a variant (optional) rule for "Playing on a Grid." This is the 1 space of movement in any direction (including diagonals) is treated as 5 feet we were talking about in some posts.

In the DMG pg 252 the variant grid rules are expanded upon which some other optional rules, one of which is the first diagonal is treated as 5 feet of movement and the second diagonal as 10 feet and you keep alternating with the 3rd counted as 5 feet and the 4th as 10 and so on. This is similar to the D&D 3.x movement rules.

Given all that background, I believe FG uses the basic non optional rules - but the movement, target and pointer lines are rounded to the nearest 5 feet. However it is possible they are using the optional rule to approximate the actual rule. The whole every other diagonal move equalling 10 feet is a pretty good approximation of diagonal distance if you are going to round to 5 feet squares.

Thanks Griogre.... I do know all the variants of the rules on movement, and options in the DMG. I was trying to get a definitive answer on which rules/options are used in FG, as it seems to be the 'DMG Optional Rule: Diagonal ' not the PHB Variant : Playing on a Grid. Is this changeable ?, can I play as per the PHB ?, or is this Optional Rule coded in

I guess I was't clear. I believe they are using the PHB basic movement rule rounded to the 5' grid. FG doesn't measure distance without a grid.

I personally would like an option to use the Grid Variant rule of diagonal movement = horizontal movement.

I think you where clear, it just seems my FG does use the Variant, and not the PHB basic movement

Thread Information