5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

using a laptop to create a campaign

Hello all,
    I've been trying to use my laptop to setup and create a campaign. I have an Ultimate licence, Could anyone show me where I'm going wrong, cos I can't get it to work.
    I DL'd FG onto the laptop, (using my licence key). It installed and ran fine.
    I then copied the campaign from the appdata/campaign/mycampaign, and when I try to load it, it crashes FG.
    What am I doing wrong?.. how do I get the campaign I'm working on, onto my laptop?, and will the reverse be true??.. when I copy the newer campaign back to the desktop, will that crash FG too???.. any help would be great!.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    That is not normal behaviour.
    Many people do what you are trying to do.

Exactly what files/folders are you copying?
    What error if any do you get when it crashes?

hi, thanks for the response,
    Its the folder that has the campaign in it, its held in the AppData folder (in windows).. this is the path
    C:\Users\????\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II\campaigns\MyCampaign
    when I transfer this to the appropriate place on the laptop, start FG I wait, usually about 3 mins, then FG just closes.. no alert, no message.

Rather than just copying it over, have you tried exporting it to a module then copying that to the modules folder on the laptop?

no... How do I do that???

In the chat window, type: /export

tick everything you want to explort (which I'm guessing in your case is probably everything), give it a filename, description, etc. Then copy the module to the modules folder in the User/????/.../Fantasy Grounds/Modules and load up FG then open the module from the library.

Thanks for this help, Mistamichal,
    I followed that /export info, but when I open the module from the laptop, I get a lot of xml errors (most of the data)..
    Some of the data does export tho', do you have any ideas?

Are you running the exact same version of Fantasy Grounds on both computers? That is V3.0.9 live?

Are these both Windows PCs?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yep
    My desktop and laptop are both up to date.
    The desktop is win 8.1, and the laptop runs Vista.
    One thing I've noticed.. when I do the export, and the screen appears where you tick to add whats exported... there are 3 tickboxes which have no title????
    theres titles like Story, Images, etc.. but lower down the list there are just 3 ticks and no titles.
    I note that if I export ANOTHER campaign, those invisible tickboxes don't appear.
    I'd really like to be able to develop my campaigns on the laptop, so I hope this is just a bug , or better yet, just something I'm doing wrong.

What ruleset is this campaign using?

Do you have any extensions enabled on the laptop? If so, make sure you have the exact same extensions enabled on your desktop.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information