STAR TREK 2d20
Page 6 of 23 First ... 4567816 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    You know ... that is GOOD to hear. To be honest I never looked into the differences between those 2 repos. I just chose staging arbitrarily. The only thing I WAS certain of, was that the default wine 1.6 on 16.04 was not doing the job. wine 1.8 was not much better. Since switching to winehq and running the 2.x versions of wine ... things have been a lot smoother and simpler.

Otherwise, well done on your step be step. I do have 1 point that I might disagree with:
    Check the “Cross-platform compatibility mode for Linux and Mac” selection box
    This is not necessary and just causes some serious CPU spiking. In the FG 3.1.x days it was necessary, but with FG 3.2.x I've noticed that it is no necessary.

Other than that my only difference to your install, other than winehq repo, was that I didn't change default folders. I was too worried that something would break. Instead I put in some symbolic links in my home folder, that gave me access to those folders. In fact I set it up such that I installed FG on a VM, and had that VM point to the same folder locations on my host. In this way whether I started FG from linux or from a Windows VM, the look & feel and cache were all the same!

It'd be nice if we can see the original post updated to include your instructions! Can a moderator make that happen?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skj310 View Post
    It'd be nice if we can see the original post updated to include your instructions! Can a moderator make that happen?
    Done.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Done.
    Thanks!

I'm going to update my "no terminal" method as well.

I also went full re-install (switch back over to Ubuntu ... 17.04). I followed this and it worked well, just as it had before, but still was missing all of my data modules. I figured that out though. I originally bought FG as the basic version. I had eventually bought Ultimate because I am wanting to DM and I don't want people to feel pressured to have to buy another thing, so you have to have BOTH of those codes entered, not just the latest or greatest. Now I am all good.

I did notice a lot of errors, though, especially when running winetricks (also you have to enter winetricks --gui), all to do with errors in getting fonts to download. But it all seems to work fine now.

I'm not able to update my initial post due to a limited character count after the mods added the business to the bottom, so I will post here in hopes somebody please updates the original:

Fantasy Grounds in Ubuntu/Linux/WINE

Updated 4/18/17

Updated the front post to reflect these updates. Not much has changed except a few version numbers.
    Last edited by sturtus; April 19th, 2017 at 01:25.

Quote Originally Posted by skj310 View Post
    Otherwise, well done on your step be step. I do have 1 point that I might disagree with:

This is not necessary and just causes some serious CPU spiking. In the FG 3.1.x days it was necessary, but with FG 3.2.x I've noticed that it is no necessary.

For some reason, some of my newest modules were downloaded only after I had checked that option. Howerver, i can confirm that keeping it checked will make FG havier while running a game (I monitored both situations with a top command on terminal).

Quote Originally Posted by sturtus View Post
    I'm not able to update my initial post due to a limited character count after the mods added the business to the bottom, so I will post here in hopes somebody please updates the original:
    Can someone edit my text to remove this piece of text in the front post?

"Good evening

Since there are some other people around who are trying Fantasy Grounds in Linux environments, and taking advantage that I just formated my disk and reinstalled my OS, I created this tutorial on how to install FG in Ubuntu and its forks.

When writing it, I was assuming my reader as a complete beginner in Linux, so if you already know your way in this OS, and want to check what I had done, just skip the explanations and read the commands

This guide is basically the same one provided by skj310, with a bit more explanation and some steps (which may not be necessary) to prevent rendering errors when showing applications fonts.

Installing Fantasy Grounds in Linux – Ubuntu Based Distros.

DISCLAIMER

This method was tested and successfully completed in April 4, 2017 using WINE version 2.4. The steps described here can or cannot work in the future, with new releases of Fantasy Grounds, WineHQ or Ubuntu ant its forks. The steps described in this tutorial were accomplished in a KDE environment, and Unity UI can behave differently as it is well known in Linux community.
    -------------------------------------------------"

That way, I think Sturtus will have space to update his guide too.

Blog Entries
    Sturtus - do these instructions replace your original ones or are they additional ones?
    I removed some of Galachs post (see above).

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Sturtus - do these instructions replace your original ones or are they additional ones?
    I removed some of Galachs post (see above).
    They replace my original ones. Let me see if your edit gave me back enough characters.

Thread Information