STAR TREK 2d20
Page 11 of 23 First ... 91011121321 ... Last
    Blog Entries
    Happy to help. LX forever!

I finally got it to work fine under Linux Mint 19. Instead of POL and following the guide in the OP, I just installed wine and wine32 via apt.

Blog Entries
    Crap! Noticed that winehq-staging v3.18 and v3.19 seem to be causing me some grief. I think it's related to the windows d3dx9_43 library. Unfortunately I don't have time to work out what will fix my issue, so therefore I've done the following to keep my FG running smoothly:
    Code:
    sudo apt install wine-staging=3.17.0~xenial wine-staging-amd64=3.17.0~xenial wine-staging-i386=3.17.0~xenial winehq-staging=3.17.0~xenial
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt hold winehq-staging wine-staging
    That keeps me using winehq-staging v3.17 and will block further updates of wine.
    If someone else has bumped into this problem and worked out the solution, love to know. For the moment, my IRL job has taken away the time i'd like to spend on working out why a new release of wine breaks things. Shouldn't happen ... but directx 9 is like ... oof ... so old!

Bring on FGU!

Fedora 29 Issue...

About the Install...
    This is for a 32bit install. x86 FG comes up after installing via POL. There was an error during install, but it was ignored per the OP directions.

On first run...
    This produced the same error encountered during the install. Both errors indicating a version of wine later than 2.6.

All subsequent attempts...
    Switched wine versions in POL config for the prefix to 2.6, and FG is up, but there are no fonts.

POL debug shows the following...
    https://www.freetype.org
    Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to
    use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
    or equal to 2.0.5.
    err:syslink:SYSLINK_SetFont Failed to create link font!

What? I do have it installed?
    [root@trix yum.repos.d]# dnf list installed | grep freetype
    freetype.i686 2.9.1-6.fc29 @updates
    freetype.x86_64 2.9.1-6.fc29 @updates
    freetype-demos.x86_64 2.9.1-6.fc29 @updates
    freetype-devel.x86_64 2.9.1-6.fc29 @updates

About the Install...
    This is for a 64bit install. x64 FG comes up after installing via POL. There was an error during install, but it was ignored per the OP directions. This was the same error as encountered during the 32 bit install.

On first run...
    FG looks brilliant! Try to load a campaign... Crash. This was the same error as encountered during the 32 bit install.

All subsequent attempts...
    Switched wine versions in POL config for the prefix to 2.6, and FG is up, but there are no fonts. Like before Wine Mono Installer and Wine have invisible or ultra tiny windows with no fonts.

POL debug shows the following...
    Wine cannot find the FreeType font library. To enable Wine to
    use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
    or equal to 2.0.5.
    err:syslink:SYSLINK_SetFont Failed to create link font!

and...

[root@trix yum.repos.d]# dnf list installed | grep freetype
    freetype.i686 2.9.1-6.fc29 @updates
    freetype.x86_64 2.9.1-6.fc29 @updates
    freetype-demos.x86_64 2.9.1-6.fc29 @updates
    freetype-devel.x86_64 2.9.1-6.fc29 @updates
    [root@trix yum.repos.d]# dnf list installed | grep Gecko
    [root@trix yum.repos.d]# dnf list installed | grep gecko
    mingw32-wine-gecko.noarch 2.47-2.fc26 @fedora
    mingw64-wine-gecko.noarch 2.47-2.fc26 @fedora

So, I don't see why Wine Mono Installer and Wine have invisible or ultra tiny windows with no fonts.

Any ideas?

BTW... I know the hardware is good because I got FG working on the same hardware using CentOS 7.5.

I tried Steam Proton (Valves Wine) and FG worked perfectly first go!

Had to enter the licence code twice to get rid of the upgrade button but other than that...

I have yet to test it in a live game environment, so to speak, but I will report back.

Manjaro Linux (Arch).

Heres a Youtube video that shows how to get Proton working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb9RupIkhQ8

EDIT: Also it seems to include Steam Purchases as well..... I got the DMG off Steam, PHP and MM off Smiteworks, and they all show up.
    Last edited by Jiminimonka; December 27th, 2018 at 23:15.

Nice! Well played! Will check out Proton this week while I have a junk Linux box to test.

Now I just need to make it so Discord works properly and I can make the full switch to Linux!

Fedora 29 is now working... Here are the complete steps.

1. Installed from uefi usb with Fedora 20 Workstation ... using these steps to create the usb stick and install Fedora. https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...llation-image/
    2. Install Play On Linux (PoL), Wine, and Mono ... sudo dnf install playonlinux wine mono-core
    3. Test PoL by installing notepad++ from the install list ... just use search in PoL. Notepad++ triggers the installation of wine 3.0.3. Test Notepad++. If it works, continue. I've never had an issue, but you never know.
    4. Install FG using the same basic approach in the OP, but instead pick "Use another version of Wine" and select the already installed 3.0.3 32bits version that Notepad++ installed. You should run into no errors.

Testing Done... loaded several campaigns from several rulesets: D&D 5E, 4E, and StarFinder.
    Stay tuned for testing results on the GM and Player side.

Tested with players. So far so good. No latency or noticeable problems.

I have set FG to use the same drive for Data & Apps in settings, and Windows and Linux version both run fine. However, I do have to update twice, once in Windows, and once in Linux, whenever there is an update, which seems odd. I assume that the launcher stores the latest update in the Steam folder, which is separate for Windows and Linux.

Thread Information