Starfinder Playlist
Page 19 of 23 First ... 91718192021 ... Last
    FGU works with 5.0 (Ubuntu 20.04) - seems sluggish

winetricks d3dx10 dotnet472 corefonts

Fantasy Grounds 3.3.9 was running great under Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS + WINE under Lutris (lutris-5.5.-2-x86_64).

With the FG 3.3.10 update, the client suddenly became almost unusable. Map elements update at about 3 frames per second (but tokens don't move any faster so they take forever to get from Point A to Point B). The chat window flickers (sometimes super fast, sometimes slow, and sometimes just random rectangular sections of it), and pretty much any other windows flicker or leave ghost trails that persist anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds. Typing (in chat or even at the launcher) is limited to about 1 character per second. My DM tried to change back to the older theme just in case it was a theme issue, but it doesn't seem to be the theme. Something else is going on, and it's seriously borked. A restart of the computer did not help.

I'll do some experimenting and will post updates if I can ascertain more about what's causing the issue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitstream630 View Post
    With the FG 3.3.10 update, the client suddenly became almost unusable. Map elements update at about 3 frames per second (but tokens don't move any faster so they take forever to get from Point A to Point B). The chat window flickers (sometimes super fast, sometimes slow, and sometimes just random rectangular sections of it), and pretty much any other windows flicker or leave ghost trails that persist anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds. Typing (in chat or even at the launcher) is limited to about 1 character per second. My DM tried to change back to the older theme just in case it was a theme issue, but it doesn't seem to be the theme. Something else is going on, and it's seriously borked. A restart of the computer did not help.
    I'm not sure why you are having this issue. I'm running FG 3.3.10 on a couple versions of linuxmint: 19.3 and 18.3. In both lx versions i'm running the latest winehq-staging. Before I installed FG (ages ago as can be seen in this post), I setup wine with the following
    Code:
    export WINEARCH="win32"
    export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_FG
    otherwise i also have winetricks, and besides setting up the above variables, the only other thing i did was to make sure i had the m$ core fonts installed as well.

then i installed FG.

I've not reinstalled until i created the new linuxmint 19.3 machine. But therein I did the very same things mentioned above. No tweaks to anything else. No installing anything else within wine. Nothing!

I've been using FG quite confidently without any big issues. Although back in the early versions of winehq-staging v4.x; there were a couple early versions of that wine that were totally unusable with FG. So I told linux to stop updating wine. Around the release of wine 4.10 or something i figured i'd see if things were ok again ... they were! So once more i just update to the latest winehq-staging release (currently 5.6), and everything is running great.

With FG, I always update whenever it's update button tells me to. Haven't experienced anything breaking. That being said I did hold off on upgrading to 3.3.10 until i was sure all my favourite extensions were compatible. Then I upgraded FG ... no issues.

So all in all, I've not been any help to you. All I've done herein is tell you what my experience with wine and FG has been on the linuxmint distro. I've not experienced anything of the sort in any wine or FG release that matches what you are experiencing.

I have a player that is using Linux and when he connects instead of the FGU them he just sees this
    FGU Linux Error.png

Any ideas on how to fix it would be appreciated.

I am aware of that but others are able to get it working using Wine. Unfortunately that isn't working for him. Since I know nothing about Linux I was hoping that someone here would have suggestions.

Blog Entries
    Personally I continue to use classic, as it works well enough via wine. Am waiting for official LX build for FGU, and so have put zero effort to work out FGU on LX via wine. So, for me, sorry, can't help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolRPG View Post
    I am aware of that but others are able to get it working using Wine. Unfortunately that isn't working for him. Since I know nothing about Linux I was hoping that someone here would have suggestions.
    This thread is all about FGC.

Have him read and look at this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...4-FGU-on-Linux
    Also, https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...n-and-feedback
    I believe after the initial posts their is information on what some people have done to get FGU working in Linux.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Two less complex solutions - Proton on Steam works most of the time without any complications. Lutris also has an install for Fantasy Grounds that works perfectly fine as well. Once FGU is done and we have a Linux client then life will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitstream630 View Post
    Fantasy Grounds 3.3.9 was running great under Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS + WINE under Lutris (lutris-5.5.-2-x86_64).

I'll do some experimenting and will post updates if I can ascertain more about what's causing the issue.
    As promised, a follow-up. I had to do a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS for other reasons, and I tested both FG Classic and FG Unity under WINE (via Lutris). After doing the fresh OS install, both seem to be functioning properly. Consequently, I'm inclined to believe that the issue I had was due to mounting issues in my old OS install, and not with Fantasy Grounds specifically.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Thread Information