5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 12 of 23 First ... 2101112131422 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminimonka View Post
    Tested with players. So far so good. No latency or noticeable problems.
    Tried today - streaming on twitch and playing - lots of connection issues for players, so I need to investigate possible causes. I will report what I find.

Quote Originally Posted by sturtus View Post
    My pleasure!

Has anybody had success doing this on Steam? Does it work automatically in Linux in Steam?
    It does now (go to Steam, Settings -> Account, opt into the Steam Beta and click OK, restart steam. Go to Settings again, Steam Play tick both the Enable Steam Play for all titles and Use this tool instead of.... boxes. Click OK, and restart Steam. Now FG will install under Steam using Valves Proton system (which is wine with bells and whistles methinks).

Blog Entries
    Tried today - streaming on twitch and playing - lots of connection issues for players, so I need to investigate possible causes. I will report what I find.
    Start by lowering the bandwidth (quality) of what you are streaming

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I have a 200m connection. Doubt it is that. Linux doesn't eat bandwidth. I'll test it of course though lol

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    7946867514.png

I think I made a boo-boo - for some reason in Steam Play settings I didnt have both the "Enable Steam Play for all titles" and "Use this tool instead of game-specific selections from Steam" ticked.

So far testing has been ok, another live test tomorrow with several players.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skj310 View Post
    Crap! Noticed that winehq-staging v3.18 and v3.19 seem to be causing me some grief. I think it's related to the windows d3dx9_43 library. Unfortunately I don't have time to work out what will fix my issue, so therefore I've done the following to keep my FG running smoothly:
    Code:
    sudo apt install wine-staging=3.17.0~xenial wine-staging-amd64=3.17.0~xenial wine-staging-i386=3.17.0~xenial winehq-staging=3.17.0~xenial
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt hold winehq-staging wine-staging
    Happy to report that winehq-staging v4.0-rc5 is working and I don't have the problems experienced with v3.18 and v3.19. Therefore to unhold simply:
    Code:
    sudo apt unhold winehq-staging wine-staging
    sudo apt upgrade
    and with that you should be running the latest v4+ of wine. If this doesn't work for you, then you can revert to a previous version as i spelled out in the quoted text. Cheers LX peoples!

It works, and it works great.

This week I decided to quit my personal relationship with Windows after an unwanted, forced update nuked my box - I had used a "debloat windows" script to get rid of all the crap Win10 installs on computer, like windows apps, cortana and telemetry). If I can't have control of my own operating system, I will rather kill it than use it. After all, machines taking control are scary enough on science fiction...

Anyway...

I loaded Linux Mint 19.1 on my machine, installed Wine Staging 4.1, and my first shot was to check out all the hassle about Lutris. However, while Fantasy Grounds has a Lutris script to take care of the installation and 38 reported users running FG through it, I only got a "missing DirectX9" error. After the first time, I tried to activate d3dx9_43.dll in all possible configurations of "built in" and "native", but the result was ever the same. Also tried to install it through winetricks but got the same error again and I gave up.

Then, before trying the good and old approach of installing it directly in Wine, I decided to give Steam Proton a shot and, well, it worked. Out of the box, flawlessly, just like if I was installing FG through Steam in a Windows machine. I didn't noticed any performance change compared to Windows (for batter or worse), but FG colors look more vivid and font resolution/rendering look much better than in the previous times I installed Fantasy Grounds on Linux - it may be just me and my current anger against Windows, but I even think FG looks better in Linux than on Windows.

Yesterday I had two of my players connecting to my machine to level up their characters and it seemed they took a bit longer to actually load their characters, but after that it all went great, I didn't used it on a "full" game session with 4 players and a lot of rolls, so I can't say it is working perfectly - but installation through Steam Proton was a very pleasant surprise and I don't intend to try doing it directly on Wine anymore if things work out on our next game session.

System Specs (DELL Inspiron 5547 laptop):

CPU:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz

Graphics:
    Device-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
    Device-2: AMD Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360 / M440/M445]
    driver: amdgpu v: kernel
    Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: amdgpu,ati,modesetting
    unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 2560x1080~60Hz
    OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile
    v: 4.5 Mesa 19.1.0-devel (git-7188e2b 2019-02-16 bionic-oibaf-ppa)

RAM
    8GB Generic DELL DDR3 (non-ECC) 1600Mhz

Disk:
    240GB Crucial CT240BX500SSD1 SSD (R550 Mb/s, W500 Mb/s).

Yep! It's good Proton. Connection to table is a bit slower but other than that it's fine for a session. I've run several now and streamed them too.

It does now (go to Steam, Settings -> Account, opt into the Steam Beta and click OK, restart steam. Go to Settings again, Steam Play tick both the Enable Steam Play for all titles and Use this tool instead of.... boxes. Click OK, and restart Steam. Now FG will install under Steam using Valves Proton system (which is wine with bells and whistles methinks).
    Will this method also work for someone who has a Chromebook?
    Ultimate License holder.

Server Alias: idle jump epic luck
    Chat type: Teamspeak3 Server: fgts.servegame.com:9152 Password: Dungeoneers
    Please make sure you have a headset and mic.

Quote Originally Posted by hangarflying View Post
    Will this method also work for someone who has a Chromebook?
    As far as I am aware, Steam Proton works on any Linux. However, I never saw the insides of a Chromebook (OS speaking), and I don't have any idea if ChromeOS is really a Linux, so I can't say if it works.

However, if ChromeOS is a Linux, and of you can install Steam, theoretically the answer is yes.

Thread Information