DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Custom 3.5e with editable skills?

Greetings, I'm a recently nominated DM for my private group for 3.5e play. My players decided they wanted me to come up with the next campaign so I had this crazy wild idea to make a custom Scifi 3.5e game and that leaves me with this question: Is there any way to keep the 3.5e core set but modify/delete the obnoxiously long skill list into a simplified 5th edition or pathfinder style? I'm new to Fantasy Grounds we decided to use it instead of meeting in person.

Quick answer - you can edit the skill list in the 3.5e ruleset. the scripts\data_common.lua file has a skilldata list that is used to create the default skills when a PC is created.

See this thread for info on modifying a ruleset: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...oreRPG-ruleset But use the 3.5e.pak file instead of the CoreRPG.pak file.

Once you've got it looking good in a dev version of the 3.5e ruleset we can talk about making it into an extension so that you're not directly modifying a ruleset and can take advantage of future upgrades with the minimum of fuss...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks for the reply I read the thread in the link you posted and now I'm even more lost I have 0 experience in coding/scripting. My group and I may have to move on to pathfinder ruleset after all.

Blog Entries
    the ruleset capabilities of pathfinder are fantastic - the coding is not for the fainthearted...
    if you want sci-fi have you looked at the Numenera ruleset or you could even use Fate.

You could create a new PC and then delete/edit the skills list. Then, once you have that list to your liking, export that PC as a template and then import the template back in to your campaign to create the number of PCs you need based off the template you created.

See Export a character and Import a character under the GM Actions section here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...ter_Management
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by vahngalvan View Post
    Thanks for the reply I read the thread in the link you posted and now I'm even more lost I have 0 experience in coding/scripting. My group and I may have to move on to pathfinder ruleset after all.
    It's not that hard if you only want to change the list of skills but I understand it could be daunting if you have not done anything similar before.

Send me a list of the skills you'd like and I can give it a go for you, if you like.

Well the skills I was looking for were the simplified skills like perception instead of listen and spot at the same time. I'm going to talk with my group more and see if they are interested in pathfinder the only reason I hadn't liked pathfinder before is because it introduced some things unfamiliar to me but this gives me reasonable incentive to learn it anyways. Some other skills are also things like demolitions computer skill or hacking, etc. Thanks for your replies its giving me some things to fall back on in case what I'm trying to do doesn't work out. I will definitely consider looking at Fate and numenera. Again thanks for your input and time.

I'd like to ask a question while I'm here about pathfinder ruleset. I'm looking at the PFRPG essentials the basic rules etc. and Im wondering if i can edit the rulebook to make my own classes/races/feats/spells/equipment. This would give my group all of the tools they need to create characters at their disposal. I'm wondering if I can try doing Export Import thing Trenloe was talking about.

I also just downloaded and installed notepad++ I'm hoping I can figure out a way to just open the pfrpg essentials and just edit the displayed text with new classes and races.
    Last edited by vahngalvan; November 7th, 2014 at 06:24.

Thread Information