DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Adding an effect, "invisibly" to CT

Rulesset: 5E

Is it possible, via extension or straight effect wording, to add an effect to a character on the CT and have it not be visible to players, as it is being applied?

Specifically, if an effect is on a target and a second character is adding the exact same effect to that target, for the second effect to be applied but invisible on CT to all except DM? Or even better to all but the DM and the applying character?

I know the GM can turn on/off "Show Effects" as a general rule and that the effect can be made visible to all/GM Only from the CT.

Thanks.

Moved to the 5E forum for discussion. The "Extensions" forum is where people post their extesions. Please don't post there, unless you're posting an extension, as it dilutes the great community contributions. Thanks.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Sorry about that. I just assumed questions regarding extensions would go there.

Yes. If you create your effect in the effect dialog (small running man icon top right of the menu) you can click the eye icon beside it. When applied to the character on the CT it will not be visible to any of the PCs.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thank you. I was not aware of that.

So it should be possible then to build into an extension that when a player applies an effect, from their character sheet, to a target in the combat tracker that it would be applied invisibly?

That I don't know. But seemingly anything is possible with an extension. But why would you want a player to apply an invisible effect?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I am using KentMcCullough's AURA Extension to help teach myself a little bit about extension making by creating "light source" effects, thinking along the lines of a DM putting out "torch" tokens with lighting effects on them. (I think of it as allowing a rogue-type action where a player could move along the map in and out of lighted areas. I have this part done). But what happens is that each "torch" token then applies this effect to the character and the character can end up with mutliples of the exact same effect on them. I am trying to keep the CT as clean looking as I can for the players and thus I am looking to see if I can have FG check to see if the exact same effect is on a target already; and if it is then the new applied effect would be applied invisibly, from the player side of things.

Might not be worth it as an extension for anyone but, like I said, it is hopefully helping me learn extension making limits; without beating my head against a wall with something that is not possible.

Edited part below:
    I have looked at having FG check if the exact same named effect is already on the target and not applying a second instance of it. This has led to a different set of issues, so I thought I would look at it from the above angle of perspective.
    Last edited by DragonsDen13; June 22nd, 2020 at 21:42.

Thread Information