FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

HotKey Party Sheet Skill Roll Extension

Version 3.2.1 of this extension should be compatible with FG 3.3.0.

This extension allows the GM to drag party skill rolls from the Party Sheet to the HoyKey bar for quick and easy acccess of frequently used skill checks.

v3.2.1 download at the bottom of this post. Extension name "HotKey Party Sheet Skill Roll".

Extension name: HotKey Party Sheet Skill Roll
    Rulesets: 3.5E and PFRPG version 3.2.1.
    Extension Version: 3.2.1

Change log:
    • v3.2.1 - 3.5e/PF v3.2.1 compatibility. Fix to (re)allow loading for 3.5E campaign.
    • v3.1.7 - Modifier not clearing bug fix.
    • v0.3.1.3 - 3.5e/PF v3.1.3 compatibility.
    • v0.3b - 3.5e/PF v3.0.11 compatibility. 3.0.11 code allows modifiers to be applied to all rolls, not just the first.
    • v0.3a - 3.5e/PF v3.0.10 compatibility.
    • v0.3 - minor update to DC = 0 handling. Dice icon in HotKey bar is darker - easier to read the description.
    • v0.2 - Initial release.

Description: allows the dragging of Party Sheet Skill Rolls to the hotkey bar - includes the skill name and the selected DC at drag. Do not change the name that is auto populated, this is used to make the correct roll.

Gotchas: previously created hotkeys won't work until the GM has opened the Party Sheet Skill tab at lease once after starting the campaign (steps 1 -2 below). The Party Sheet doesn't need to be open, but it does need to have been opened once to the Skills tab (to initiate the code).

How to use: (Step numbers refer to screenshot below).
    1. Open the Party Sheet.
    2. Go to the "Skills" tab.
    3. Create a party skill roll (with or without DC) and drag to the HotKey Bar.
    4. When needed, click the skill roll button in the HotKey bar.
    5. The skill name listed in the HotKey description will be rolled by all characters currently in the Party Sheet. This roll uses the GM die reveal settings (i.e. the dice roll results will be hidden or revealed to the players based off the normal campaign settings).

Attachment 14265

(Previous version downloads = 49)
    Last edited by Trenloe; April 15th, 2017 at 02:24.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Standard 3.5e v3.0.8 Ruleset files used/modified:

• ps\ps_skills.xml - purely copied to allow the modified ps_roll_skill.lua file to be loaded from the extension.
    • ps\scripts\ps_roll_skill.lua - this is the LUA script file associated with the Party Skill Roll hotkey control and is where the modifications have been made.

These will need reviewing and updating as necessary if these files change in future 3.5e ruleset releases.

Techie info:
    This extension operates as follows:

• Adds an onDragStart function to ps_roll_skill.lua that populates the drag data needed to allow the Party Sheet Skill Roll button to be dragged to the HotKey bar.
    • Adds an onHotkeyActivated event handler to the ps_roll_skill.lua file. This extracts the skill name and target DC (if available) from the HotKey entry and passes it to the Party Sheet Skill Roll action function.
    • The Party Sheet Skill Roll action function in ps_roll_skill.lua has been modified to accept the skill name and target DC as input parameters and to check for these during operation to see if they have been passed from a HotKey - if not present it assumes the button has been pressed in the Party Sheet and extracts the skill name and target DC from the Party Sheet.

The actual dice rolling mechanics are those used in the party sheet.

HotKey label

The HotKey label is created based off the skill name and target DC selected in the Party Sheet before the roll icon is dragged to the HotKey. The description is used to decode the skill and DC when the roll is made - therefore editing the description could break the functionality. The skill name and the target DC are separated by a vertical bar (pipe) with no spaces between the skill name and the target DC. If no target DC is provided then the roll will not report success or failure.

For example, a description of:
    1. Bluff|15 will roll a Bluff skill check vs DC 15 for all PCs in the party sheet.
    2. Bluff| will roll a Bluff skill check with no DC for all PCs in the party sheet.
    3. Bluff will roll a Bluff skill check with no DC for all PCs in the party sheet.

These are shown in the screenshot below:

Last edited by Trenloe; October 22nd, 2014 at 18:44.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Two questions about this extension (well, really, questions about the whole 'roll-a-skill-check-for-the-entire-party' capability):
    1. Under what circumstances do you find the 'roll-a-skill-check-for-the-entire-party' capability to be the most useful?
    2. Don't your players prefer 'rolling their own'?

1) Rolling perception in the background so the players don't know about it. Rolling sense motive without giving away that the players might want to sense motive. etc., etc.. Many uses.
    2)Maybe - but it can give away what's happening.

Ok, that makes sense.

Plus, I looked again (and, more importantly, I paid attention to what I saw) at the collection of Skills that is available to the GM in the Party List. It hadn't occurred to me before (probably because I hadn't actually tried to use this feature), that not all Skills are even present. I realize now that the Skills available for this purpose are only the ones that 'roll-a-skill-check-for-the-entire-party' even make sense for.

It all becomes clear .

So, thanks!

And thanks for going to the time and trouble to create the extension in the first place. Now that I understand the mechanic better (i.e., the fact that the entire-party rolling capability is available as a feature of the Party List) it seems like an oversight that drag'n'drop to the HotKey Bar wasn't already built-in to FG. Surely THEY'll add it to stock FG, no?

Till next time,

- s.west

p.s. I thought of something right before posting this, and went back to check. You mentioned that the Group roll uses the GM 'die reveal' setting from the Options, but it is also the case that, when that Option is set to 'on', an additional visibility icon shows up on the Group roll function, which allows one to hide these rolls, even though other GM rolls are visible. That's a great feature! I ordinarily want my rolls as GM to be visible, but as you pointed out in your previous answer, there are clearly situations where that is undesirable...

Blog Entries
    OK.. I just noticed this extension... I may never ask for a perception/sense motive roll again.
    Thanks!
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

Knowledge skills are also very useful using this extension - the party sheet roll tells u if they are trained in the skill, and I like that the DM can make the secret knowledge roll without tell the pcs which knowledge check to use (possibly giving away too much info before the roll...
    Ultimate License
    FG Server: brawny ogre firm gate

Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Teamspeak Password: Dungeoneers

Discord: Lord Kavos (UTC+10)#6088

You could always do this from the party sheet, it isn't anything new. This extension just allows dragging it to a hot key.

Roger that.

However, I, for one, only discovered the Party Sheet functionality while reading about the Hot Key extension...

- s.west

As a GM you dont use your hotkeys for much else...so I end up adding hot keys for the usual PC skills (perception, sense motive) as well as all the knowledge skills. Very handy.
    Ultimate License
    FG Server: brawny ogre firm gate

Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Teamspeak Password: Dungeoneers

Discord: Lord Kavos (UTC+10)#6088

Thread Information