FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

Message of the Day (MOTD) Extension

Message of the Day functionality is now included in the core rules. No need to use this extension.

See this video for guidance on how to use the Message of the Day functionality built into most FG rulesets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN9DxOqQ4CY

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As requested here I quickly put together a message of the day extension for CoreRPG and CoreRPG based (layered) rulesets.

It allows a GM to make a story entry and call it MOTD (it has to be called MOTD all in capitals). In this story entry put info you want your players to see when they log in. Then share the story entry (even if no one is logged in) and it will pop up when they join the session.

V0.1 download at the bottom of this post. Extension name "Message of the Day".

How to use:
    1. Open the campaign story list.
    2. Create a story entry called MOTD
    3. Share it (this will make it public) - make sure the (P) icon appears to the right of the story entry list to show that it is public.

When the players log in, the MOTD story entry will appear in front of the character selection screen:

The message will be fully visible and can be interacted with:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 3rd, 2021 at 23:12.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Techie stuff.

Relies on the User.onLogin event on the GM side to trigger searching of the Story entries for the first one called MOTD. The databasenode reference is then passed to the player logging in via OOB messaging and the story entry is displayed on the player desktop.

Compatibility
    Uses the CoreRPG OOBManager functionality, but no code is extracted/incorporated for this extension. Therefore, as long as OOBManager is not removed from a future version of CoreRPG (unlikely) this extension should continue to function through future CoreRPG upgrades.
    Last edited by Trenloe; October 21st, 2014 at 03:28.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

NIIICEEE!! This is a *much* needed extension -- BRAVO!
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

This is brilliant! Well done and thank you!

Just a quick question, Trenloe. In your example MOTD, you have a URL for FG Con at the bottom - but the players reading it won't be able to click on that link, or even copy the text, will they?

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    Just a quick question, Trenloe. In your example MOTD, you have a URL for FG Con at the bottom - but the players reading it won't be able to click on that link, or even copy the text, will they?
    Correct. If you make the link a chat frame the players can press the chat bubble icon which puts the link in the chat window where they can click on the link.

Any way to make it work in 5e 3.1.7?

It does work in 5e. 5e is based on the CORE rule set.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Sorry I forgot to enable it.

Thread Information