DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 5 of 7 First ... 34567 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by LaiJien View Post
    Thanks for this excellent extension. Question: once the players see the story, will it only appear that one time or continue to appear every time they log in? I'd like to test it out as the DM (5e) first, and don't know if I would then need to create another story for it to appear to the players (because the first one "expired")? Also, if the same story will keep appearing, I'd like to just edit it for each subsequent session. Thanks!
    With the extension enabled, the players will always see a story entry called "MOTD" appear each time they join your campaign - assuming that you've shared a story of that name. If you haven't shared a story, they'll see a blank entry - so make sure you share a "MOTD" story.

The MOTD story will stay available to the players just like any other shared Story entry.

You can update that story entry as needed.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you! I'm fairly new to FGU, so I don't yet have any experience with shared stories and how they behave.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    With the extension enabled, the players will always see a story entry called "MOTD" appear each time they join your campaign - assuming that you've shared a story of that name. If you haven't shared a story, they'll see a blank entry - so make sure you share a "MOTD" story.

The MOTD story will stay available to the players just like any other shared Story entry.

You can update that story entry as needed.

If the players have dismissed the MOTD in a session, will it pop-up on their next connection and every subsequent connection? Or is it dismissed until they want to access it again by going to the Story shortcut?

Quote Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
    If the players have dismissed the MOTD in a session, will it pop-up on their next connection and every subsequent connection? Or is it dismissed until they want to access it again by going to the Story shortcut?
    It'll pop up every time. Player's aren't exactly "dismissing" anything. All they're doing is closing a shared Story record. They can re-open it from the Story list (accessed through the Story sidebar button), and it will re-open every time they join a campaign - as long as the extension is enabled and there is a shared story record called "MOTD".
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Awesome, thank you Trenloe!

With the ruleset release yesterday (v2021-02-01) most of the functionality of this extension is included in the base ruleset - using the "Message of the Day" button in the campaign "Options" window.

You can still keep using this extension if you desire. In the future I probably won't continue to provide updates, but this hasn't required an update since release over 6 years ago, so it'll probably continue to work... The only advantage I can see to using this is if you have lots of formatted text and want to prepare upcoming MOTD entries or copy/create new ones based off a previous one, as you can't copy/paste formatted text (all the formatting, links, etc.) into the new built in Message of the Day window - but once you have your text in there, it's easy to edit as needed.
    Last edited by Trenloe; February 17th, 2021 at 16:07.

Since the most recent update I now see that "Message of the Day" is in the standard options when no extensions are enabled. Has this become included in the base features?

FGC MotD Option Feb 2021.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Norgewalk View Post
    Since the most recent update I now see that "Message of the Day" is in the standard options when no extensions are enabled. Has this become included in the base features?

FGC MotD Option Feb 2021.jpg
    See the post immediately above yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    The only advantage I can see to using this is if you have lots of formatted text and want to prepare upcoming MOTD entries or copy/create new ones based off a previous one, as you can't copy/paste formatted text (all the formatting, links, etc.) into the new built in Message of the Day window...
    With the 2021-03 core release yesterday, allowing story entries to be dragged to the Message of the Day window to essentially copy a story entry, there isn't any need to use the MOTD extension anymore. Enjoy your retirement!

Yes, happy retirement MOTD. Absolutely the best extension ever produced.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information