DICE PACKS BUNDLE

NPCs for RotRL in Fantasy Grounds

Greetings,

I think I have been chasing down a wrong turn, dead end. Please to correct my mistake thinkings.

So, we figured out the PC import from Hero Lab last night. And it works well.

While beginning to work on the actual campaign (that I'm hoping to start this Saturday), I came across a nice piece of work over on the d20pfsrd.com site. There they had the NPCs, in Hero Lab, for each section of RotRL, in a couple of nice zip files - AP01 Rise of the Runelords Anniversay (sic) PART1.zip, and PART2.zip...

I thought, Hey! I've just figured out how to import my PCs from Hero Lab, now I can import the encounter lists of NPCs the same way, and they'll be available to me in FG as I construct my version of the campaign.

But, wait, FG already knows about Pathfinder's goblins, and such... Do these .zip files of NPCs do me any good?

Thanks.

- s.west

p.s. There is So Much Stuff out there, it is really easy to become completely overwhelmed. And then you forget even the little you thought you knew, because it's being crowded out by the sheer volume of good stuff...

HeroLab import into Fantasy Grounds is for PC only, not NPCs.

If you have the PDF of the scenario, you're best using the Pathfinder Creature parser: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...2-Beta-Version

Copy/paste the statblocks from the PDF into a text file and parse using the app. Just pay attention to the beginning of each statblock as the RotRL PDF does it slightly differently to to the usual format - just read the first couple of posts for instructions.

But, there are plenty of GMs on here who have/are running Rise of the Runelords. As the NPC stats are Open Gaming License (OGL) they can be shared with you without breaking copyright. Also, as Rise of the Runelords is sanctioned for Pathfinder Society play, if you can prove that you purchased the scenario (book or PDF) then a GM can share with you their Fantasy Grounds module (including RotRL Paizo copyright material only, not other copyright material) - more info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ilable-modules
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Yeah, sorry, I accidentally edited out the part of my post that mentions the fact that I knew (from one of your other threads) that you can't import monsters/NPCs from HL to FG in the same way you do PCs. Although I'm still not completely clear on why you can't...

However, the reason I was in that frame of mind was the fact that I had found that nicely self-contained collection of the monsters and NPCs that go with each of the encounters of RotRL, and I was keen to make use of it.

I'm off to explore the link that you provided at the end of your post... and then I'm sure I will have more questions after.

Thanks for your continued help.

- s.west

Quote Originally Posted by swest View Post
    Yeah, sorry, I accidentally edited out the part of my post that mentions the fact that I knew (from one of your other threads) that you can't import monsters/NPCs from HL to FG in the same way you do PCs. Although I'm still not completely clear on why you can't...
    PC data is stored completely differently than NPC data in the 3.5E/Pathfinder ruleset. The HeroLab import has been written specifically for PC data import,not NPC data.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

there was a similar post not to long ago, here is a link https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...for-FGII/page3 I hope this helps you out

If you have the NPCs in PCGen however there is a way to export them to FG2.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Module-utility

Carth

Thread Information