FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last
    I'm willing to run with whatever as far as forum/calender/etc. Obsidian Portal is just where I have 4 other games. Everything seems to work well, so I just stick with it.

Also, on a separate subject, if anyone would like any tie-ins with my character let me know. I'm still kicking around ideas, and trying to make the concept work 'build wise'. Barb/Wiz is not exactly a popular character class and as I work through the details, I'm finding out why. There are subtleties that I need to investigate. I like the character in my head so far, and I think she'll fit famously with the setting. I see her as being a technophile, and not terribly focused on the consequences of her actions. She's definitely the sort that would push the big red button, just to see what would happen and not really think about the consequences.

Edit: Ok. I've finally managed to convince myself that it's a bad idea. It took me a while to finally abandon the idea as unworkable (Ok, it's not unworkable, but being really clever and creative I've ended up being pretty average). I'm now pursuing the idea of her being a 'different' barbarian. I'll just stop spamming everyone with my failed experiments, and keep working in silence until I come with something that will work!
    Last edited by Old Man Trouble; October 3rd, 2014 at 22:58.

OMT...not pushing one way or another, but have you looked at the Bloodrager at all? The casting wouldn't come until later, and if you're wanting more wizard than barbarian it likely isn't the right answer, but something I wanted to throw out. Another option could be Magus. There's no rage, but it does a pretty good job of making a warrior/caster.

On OP...I'm really not seeing where it's worth the money to have a paid membership, but I like the features of the free membership. Most likely I think we can make it work. If the email reminders are important I can send out emails to everyone at a set period before we play, like a day before game day, or three days before, or whatever. I've a friend that uses google groups a lot, so I'll check with him and see if that has an email reminder thing.

One option is having campaign info put up on roll20. A huge point of why I offered to run this is to get started using FG, so I'm not trying to switch venues....but one of the big things I like about roll20 is the support it has outside of the actual time spent gaming, if that makes sense. The game room is available for players to go into even if the GM isn't logged on, so I can set up handouts for people to read, and if you need to look at them again between games all you have to do is log on and open them. There is also a private forum for every campaign. So what I could do, is open a roll20 campaign for this, and we would have our forum as well as constant access to various handouts, then we would still play the sessions in FG. It's just one idea though, and I think between me putting up info on OP and using the forums here we should be good.

On a completely separate subject...My regular group is always tight on scheduling time, as we have people from one side of the US to the other...so lining things up is...tricky. What we try to do to utilize the time we have, is focus on the tactical/interactive/important bits during our scheduled games, and relegate a lot of down time activities to play by post threads via our facebook group. From time to time we also do roleplaying heavy encounters via play by post too. Play by post certainly isn't for everyone though...and that particular game is probably a little more combat intensive than what this campaign is likely to end up. Thoughts?

OMT is Ascendant, so if you wanted all the features open to the group (and he was willing) he could set up an OP page and copy/paste everything from the existing one.

You'd need to go through him to alter some aspects of the OP page, but calender events and forum stuff can be done by anyone it seems.

Little awkward to set up, but after that it should work fine.

Tryed roll20 and PbP, but I prefer FG.
    Last edited by ThinkTank; October 3rd, 2014 at 23:22.

Indeed I did look at bloodrager. I'm sort of avoiding classes from that book yet, as it's largely untested and what I have seen (Brawler) was amazingly strong. Bloodrager doesn't look nearly as powerful, but the theme of the class doesn't really match what I'm going in for. I tend towards characters that don't necessarily act like the stereotype of their class. I see her as more of an engineer that just happens to fight with the strength of her father and the focus of her mother. I see her rage as being silent concentration, focused on the offensive, rather than 'bite your nose off' unthinking aggression.

I'l admit I usually steer clear of the organization side of things but past groups have typically gotten pretty good results with proboards and similar sites where a headquarters was concerned. Would that not be a reasonable solution?

On the character building front, pencil me in for an Android Investigator until further notice. I should have some additional details prepared in the near future but I am prepared to adapt my design somewhat in accordance with the wishes of my peers.

Should I assume our characters should either be native to the town called Torch or have some other reason for being there? I take it that, in the beginning, this will be Tristram to our "Diablo"? Sanctuary to our "Borderlands 2"? Seattle to our "Fraser"?
    Yes ... Secrets … The mother's milk of an evil genius.

This is what it looks like we have so far:

Android investigator
    Different Barbarian
    Alchemist

I could come in with either a cleric or a front line fighter. Let's see if anyone else follows the thread over before I make a final decision.

Theres a bunch of tech themed archetypes as well to consider. Although considering the tone of the AP, Iron Priest might not be a good choice.

From what I gather androids simply wake up from time to time as whatever system keeping them offline kicks the bucket. Mostly they try to keep their nature hidden, due to being surrounded by a bunch of thick as bricks barbarians who tend to swing between luddite machine breakers and ammoral corporate scrap dealers. As none of them remeber exactly how they turned up wandering the steppe, investigator works, although you'll take a hit to charisma crunch wise.

Class wise I'v got mid-range damage, traps and sneaking covered pretty well. Build Im going for is pure demolition.

I'm guessing the Investigator is our indiana jones and party face.

Whatever OMT is brewing up looks to tackle combat.

So mechanics wise we could probably do with someone to patch people up.

Although some sort of golemancer creating shambling monstrosities out of scrap would be fun.

Same goes for a rust focused machine-breaker druid.

Also pretty sure a Gunslinger will come in handy somewhere down the line.
    Last edited by ThinkTank; October 4th, 2014 at 15:59.

I was wondering if you would allow me to join as a warpriest either of a crash landed kasatha or aasimar

TT...I think working out something with OMT was brought up originally, so that might be an option. The biggest thing for me, is I don't really see much that you get for paying being all that impressive outside of having a private forum. Like I said, it shouldn't be a thing for me to email people reminders. It might just be that I'm so used to OP I'm missing something, but it reminds me a lot of when I was subscriber for roll20...after realizing dynamic lighting didn't function for my purposes I just couldn't see a point.

On the party composition, I'll let people give out what they want to give out for their own characters, but I will say we don't really have a face as of yet In the first two books I haven't seen a lot that makes me think the group needs a dedicated social character, though having one or two people who handle social situations as a secondary ability would probably be good.

Dr. B...Just having a reason to be in Torch should suffice, though being a native or someone who's been there a while is good too. I think for Diablo references it would be better to say the Rogue Encampment from D2, rather than Tristram. Torch is where the campaign begins, and there's some exploring out and inside town to be done, which leads to the second book that takes you out of Torch for that entire book. It looks like there might be a little bit of downtime between book two and three, and the default assumption is you go back to Torch for that, but it's my understanding after book three starts you're likely done with Torch as far as the published material is concerned, and if for whatever reason you didn't go back after book two that would be fine.

As for good reasons to be there, generically there is the extinguishing of the torch. It should be mentioned in the Player's Guide, as the beginning of the adventure assumes the PCs know about it...but the torch that gives Torch its name has gone out, and there is a a sizable reward for anyone who can get it going again...so it could be as simple as you were passing through on your way to somewhere, heard there was a problem, and thought "money is always nice".

D1...OP invite sent. Someone with divine spellcasting could be good (course the next person I'm answering mentioned playing a Warpriest...). Depending on how the Investigator, Alchemist, and Warpriest turn out there might be plenty of healing to go around, but someone with full divine casting is often a nice addition.

Zakanex...I'm a little hesitant on having a kasatha but I'm not going to shoot it down right yet. Let me do a little research on them and some mental percolation. Aasimar would be fine, and Warpriest is a good choice for fitting into the group we have at the moment. Did you have a deity in mind?

Lots of homework this weekend, so while this is one of the times I'm not traveling to see my daughter, I'm still likely to be a little sparse....though the beginning of the week all that will be over and I'll likely be a lot quicker to respond.

Looks like we have 5 players so far, so I'm going to go ahead and declare a cap of 6.

OMT...cool cool. Just want you to know classes from that book are allowed. I played a Warpriest and Arcanist/Rogue through the playtest, and wrote up NPCs with a couple of the other classes. After publication the Warpriest has taken a level of Brawler (the archetype that gains a mutagen)...so that's what I'm most familiar with, that and Investigator, as a friend in that game is playing one, so I've been helping him update. Haven't looked at the Bloodrager much since publication. The engineer bit is one reason I suggested Magus...but the original idea of Barbarian/Wizard is good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by FraustTheSnowman View Post
    TT...I think working out something with OMT was brought up originally, so that might be an option. The biggest thing for me, is I don't really see much that you get for paying being all that impressive outside of having a private forum. Like I said, it shouldn't be a thing for me to email people reminders. It might just be that I'm so used to OP I'm missing something, but it reminds me a lot of when I was subscriber for roll20...after realizing dynamic lighting didn't function for my purposes I just couldn't see a point.
    True enough, though as OMT already pays for it aint a problem if thats the way you want to go.

Seeing as there is an all out crusade against a demonic incursion just north of the nation the campaign is set in, the Aasimar Warpriest idea has legs.

Thread Information