DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 95 of 158 First ... 45859394959697105145 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    As noted, no decisions have been reached regarding how window management will be improved. Specifically regarding independent child windows that can be moved outside of the application window, the architecture does not support this and will likely continue to not support it.
    Understood.

That said, there are probably some creative ways around this.

For example, in this thread the user is asking about being able to open a second instance of FG so they can, essentially, simulate a child window for the combat tracker. And while this can be done with a second Standard or Ultimate license, that's hardly a reasonable solution to the issue.

So, why not allow multiple "dependent" instances of FG to load that aren't "full" instances? By allowing special dependent instances focused on the most common persistent screen elements (Chat Window, Combat Tracker, Character Sheet, maybe a core tabed Map asset window etc.) people would be getting the functionality that they are asking for. Being able to do it within the existing app ("Spawn External Combat Tracker") would be perfect. So while Unity may not allow for native child windows, FG's client/server model could simulate the same functionality.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Bleed View Post
    Understood.

That said, there are probably some creative ways around this.

For example, in this thread the user is asking about being able to open a second instance of FG so they can, essentially, simulate a child window for the combat tracker. And while this can be done with a second Standard or Ultimate license, that's hardly a reasonable solution to the issue.

So, why not allow multiple "dependent" instances of FG to load that aren't "full" instances? By allowing special dependent instances focused on the most common persistent screen elements (Chat Window, Combat Tracker, Character Sheet, maybe a core tabed Map asset window etc.) people would be getting the functionality that they are asking for. Being able to do it within the existing app ("Spawn External Combat Tracker") would be perfect. So while Unity may not allow for native child windows, FG's client/server model could simulate the same functionality.
    It is an interesting idea.
    You would lose a lot of functionality though - you cant drag actors from the CT onto the map if they are not in the same "application instance" for example.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    It is an interesting idea.
    You would lose a lot of functionality though - you cant drag actors from the CT onto the map if they are not in the same "application instance" for example.
    You may be right... but depending on the data-structure/asset being moved, there might be a way to use Unity's app-to-app drag-and-drop asset support (I don't know what its limitations are.)

Or, the dependent app could just use a slightly different way to move the assets (i.e. click a button and it transfers to a parent app staging point... or to the parent app window that has focus... or something else.)

Quote Originally Posted by Full Bleed View Post

I've recently started doing something similar both as player and DM - and FG hasn't shouted at me to use a second license to do it, though I do have several, and the OneDrive/dropbox thread I read earlier suggests I should be using two separate installations. So, as a player I've been launching a second instance of the program on my secondary monitor and joining the same game, but not selecting a character. All the images that are shared to the group, in particular the main map, are kept open on that second instance, and the main screen can be used for the combat tracker my character sheet, any spell descriptions I want open etc. Found that makes things a lot easier to keep organised. As a DM I get the players view of the map, which I have also found very helpful, and if I select a character (can be a blank character) I can drop links on there for reference as well (story, DM maps, etc.).

What would be incredibly useful in this case is the ability to designate the second FG instance as an assistant DM, which I think others have brought up before, to have full access to the story, maps, npc's, and most especially the combat tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by The High Druid View Post
    I've recently started doing something similar both as player and DM - and FG hasn't shouted at me to use a second license to do it, though I do have several, and the OneDrive/dropbox thread I read earlier suggests I should be using two separate installations. So, as a player I've been launching a second instance of the program on my secondary monitor and joining the same game, but not selecting a character. All the images that are shared to the group, in particular the main map, are kept open on that second instance, and the main screen can be used for the combat tracker my character sheet, any spell descriptions I want open etc. Found that makes things a lot easier to keep organised. As a DM I get the players view of the map, which I have also found very helpful, and if I select a character (can be a blank character) I can drop links on there for reference as well (story, DM maps, etc.).
    This, again, strikes me as seeing users using FG in an unintended way to address (insofar as it can) a very common problem/criticism of the platform.

Which is why it would behoove FGU to learn from this trend and provide a more intentional and well-developed method to achieve the same (or better) utility without the potential side-effects of hammering a square peg into a round hole.

What would be incredibly useful in this case is the ability to designate the second FG instance as an assistant DM, which I think others have brought up before, to have full access to the story, maps, npc's, and most especially the combat tracker.
    Whether they call it an "assistant", "dependent", "child", or something else entirely... multi-instances of FG on the same computer should certainly be explored in lieu of just accepting Unity's lack of multi-monitor support or architectural limitations. If people are improving their FG user experience going outside the intended use-model, then one can only imagine what intentional support for the method could provide.

Quote Originally Posted by The High Druid View Post
    I've recently started doing something similar both as player and DM - and FG hasn't shouted at me to use a second license to do it, though I do have several, and the OneDrive/dropbox thread I read earlier suggests I should be using two separate installations. So, as a player I've been launching a second instance of the program on my secondary monitor and joining the same game, but not selecting a character.
    Do not do a second installation of FG on the same computer - you'll get issues updating and using data as you can only have one installation without constantly messing around with Windows registry settings. There shouldn't be a need to do two installs, just launch a second instance of FG and "Join Game" with a servername of localhost - which I'm guessing is what you're doing?
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog45 View Post
    To many other companies have announced dates that were never met and really kind of spoiled there reputations with the community. I'm glad that you guys are not.
    I like to see the updates like they've been doing (but more often!) just to see the progress. Giving tentative dates isn't a bad thing. You can't take the wailing and gnashing of teeth of a few squeaky wheels as "spoiling the community" with information that changes because of unexpected delays. As long as the updates explain what is going on and details on blockers most REASONABLE people are not going to make a big deal of it.

Not saying anything can be worse IMO because even your reasonable people will not know what is going on an eventually think it's just never coming.
    Last edited by celestian; May 17th, 2018 at 00:21.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Do not do a second installation of FG on the same computer - you'll get issues updating and using data as you can only have one installation without constantly messing around with Windows registry settings. There shouldn't be a need to do two installs, just launch a second instance of FG and "Join Game" with a servername of localhost - which I'm guessing is what you're doing?
    Yep. Reading the One drive backup thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post308611) made me think that having two instances of the program accessing the same data folder simultaneously might have the same effect as the syncing (possible data corruption), I guess that's not the case from your warning here. - Thank you.

Blog Entries
    The GM session reads from a different set of files than then player session does - so the localhost session is using different files to the GM session. However running two localhost sessions would see both of those clients accessing the same files and could have unpredictable results.

I know the devs are fully underway with this project and probably past the point of no return from a systems and architectural standpoint. But something to consider, is if building the UI from the ground up around an MVVM structure using WPF as the default GUI (supported on nearly every platform using Xamarin). This does allow multiple windows independent of the parent window as a possibility. It's not easy, and I've gotten lost spending hours on Pluralsight trying to wrap my head around it all. But it's there.

Thread Information