Starfinder Playlist
    Quote Originally Posted by Patou View Post
    You above 16GB?
    My system has 32GB, but even fully loaded for FG I dont think I currently go above 16GB. Even when FGU comes out I dont plan on bumping up the usage that much because of my players limitations. Some are on older hardware, so I keep them in mind for maps and stuff.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Quote Originally Posted by whiteTiki View Post
    This is my fourth year in a row checking out this thread, and usually each October I posted something like "let’s hope next year we can have the new version". 2018's october went through and I forgot to make my yearly post, now I’m 3 months late but all I can say is: "let’s hope this year we can have the new version".

Before my Fantasy Grounds life, I was a Roll20 user and I remembered switching to Fantasy Grounds because I saw this thread. I actually told the players on my game: “we’re switching platforms but don’t worry, dynamic lighting and all this stuff is coming soon just like in Roll20”. Little did I know the meaning of the word “soon”.

Anyways, now its 2019 and even though I still don’t have dynamic lighting and some other cool features Roll20 has since it was basically created, I don’t regret my choice in any way. My experience has been better in many ways and the community is greater than ever before! So just to say that I’m convinced that Fantasy Grounds is really a fantastic software as its name says, and the support from all the people involved is better than any other software support I’ve known in my entire life.
    This is hilarious. I went through the same thing, telling my players that Dynamic Lightning and other features we're used to from Roll20 are coming soon when I convinced them to switch. It just wasn't as long ago. I didn't realize until a few months ago that this thread was four years old.

I still don't regret the conversion, but I'm not holding my breath on Unity coming out any time soon, if ever. After 4+ years of development, they might just scrap it and start over on a different engine. Other developers have done similar things in the past.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

Quote Originally Posted by Three of Swords View Post
    This is hilarious. I went through the same thing, telling my players that Dynamic Lightning and other features we're used to from Roll20 are coming soon when I convinced them to switch. It just wasn't as long ago. I didn't realize until a few months ago that this thread was four years old.

I still don't regret the conversion, but I'm not holding my breath on Unity coming out any time soon, if ever. After 4+ years of development, they might just scrap it and start over on a different engine. Other developers have done similar things in the past.
    I'm a recent convert from Roll20 as well (Oct/18). I think it's also important to note there are a lot of things in FG that Roll20 is just getting to, or haven't even implemented as well -- so similar comments can be made on both sides. For example, Roll20 just (where "just" = 2 days ago) released Xanathar's Guide to Everything. If I'm correct they haven't released DMG, and only released PHB & MM last year. (To say nothing of the FG add-ons on DMs Guild for D&D players, that based on Roll20's platform doesn't seem as easy to do?)

Finally, re: FGU, I believe Doug mentioned in the Dec.8 FG weekly video that, although he had planned and hope for FGU by the end of 2018, it obviously didn't happen. However they have internal (non-public) timelines for a closed alpha.

So, although I'm not holding my breath either, I would like to think we're closer then further away...

As a Mac user, I had a lot of problems with the current FG (the wine wrapper used through Steam seems somewhat unstable, at least on error messages from extensions and modules), and have for a long time been eying for FGU. I believe a native Mac build from Unity would allow for a much stabler platform than a wine wrapped windows executable.

If any FGU developers are interested, I am more than willing to do Alpha and Beta testing of a Mac build of FGU, and have experience so if necessary can compile the builds myself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skippern View Post
    As a Mac user, I had a lot of problems with the current FG (the wine wrapper used through Steam seems somewhat unstable, at least on error messages from extensions and modules), and have for a long time been eying for FGU. I believe a native Mac build from Unity would allow for a much stabler platform than a wine wrapped windows executable.

If any FGU developers are interested, I am more than willing to do Alpha and Beta testing of a Mac build of FGU, and have experience so if necessary can compile the builds myself.
    Native Mac and Linux clients are very much a core aim of FGU.

Quote Originally Posted by skippern View Post
    I had a lot of problems with the current FG (the wine wrapper used through Steam seems somewhat unstable, at least on error messages from extensions and modules)...
    Are you saying you get error messages? If so, report these error messages (not in this thread). If FG is raising error messages then this is more than likely not due to running on a Mac, but due to running incompatible/out of date versions of extensions (and maybe an old ruleset) in your Mac installation.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I asked about the Unity version on Steam about a year ago and it was said that an alpha would be released by the end of 2018. That's not happened. Do we have any ACCURATE time-line as to the new version? It seems that this company has been talking about a "new" version for literally years.

teak421 - FG provided a bit of info on this recently. I posted about it above.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM View Post
    Finally, re: FGU, I believe Doug mentioned in the Dec.8 FG weekly video that, although he had planned and hope for FGU by the end of 2018, it obviously didn't happen. However they have internal (non-public) timelines for a closed alpha.

So, although I'm not holding my breath either, I would like to think we're closer then further away...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teak421 View Post
    I asked about the Unity version on Steam about a year ago and it was said that an alpha would be released by the end of 2018. That's not happened. Do we have any ACCURATE time-line as to the new version? It seems that this company has been talking about a "new" version for literally years.
    No. It will be ready when its ready.
    In the meantime - the company releases major upgrades to the current engine every 2-4 months. In addition they make minor upgrades, patches and updates pretty much every Tuesday of the year. In addition if you are on the test channel you might multiple updates a day.
    The fact that Unity is taking far longer than anticipated is not a reflection on the activity or productivity of the team nor on the status of the application.
    The current application is very actively developed and supported and improving.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    No. It will be ready when its ready.
    In the meantime - the company releases major upgrades to the current engine every 2-4 months. In addition they make minor upgrades, patches and updates pretty much every Tuesday of the year. In addition if you are on the test channel you might multiple updates a day.
    The fact that Unity is taking far longer than anticipated is not a reflection on the activity or productivity of the team nor on the status of the application.
    The current application is very actively developed and supported and improving.
    OK. We'll see. But, that's not what I asked. I asked about an accurate time-line... Software development does indeed take time, but a good development shop will be able to provide some reasonable time frames. Its been 5 years.

Thread Information