FG Spreadshirt Swag
    Quote Originally Posted by icedern View Post
    Yeah, honestly I'm not a fan of dynamic lighting. I'm not sure what it is, but once something is visible, I always want to see it. I don't actually get to play much as a player as I'm usually DMing, but when I do, the DM I play with uses roll20 and I just hate the dynamic lighting feature. It get kinda wonky in areas and just is a hindrance more than anything
    That seems largely solvable with a fog of war layer thouvh, if something like that gets implemented. Just like in an FPS, a top layer blocks all vision until first uncovered, but then if you leave that area, you can still plot the terrain, but enemy movements therein go unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Caidh Mor View Post
    That seems largely solvable with a fog of war layer thouvh, if something like that gets implemented. Just like in an FPS, a top layer blocks all vision until first uncovered, but then if you leave that area, you can still plot the terrain, but enemy movements therein go unnoticed.
    Implementing line-of-sight with fog-of-war is something that has been teased for FGU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOdUcSCx1-U&t=30m22s

Dynamic Lighting is pretty cool... but takes some time setting up so could take it or leave it.

Dynamic LoS/FoW on the other hand is a game changer, especially when character specific. Having the players call out what they see in character when they peek around the corner for the first time was one of my favorite moments as a DM. It takes away so much meta that most of us take for granted.

Any updates on unity engine update

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if there was any updates on the release of it. After being at GenCon and seeing what has changed in VTT. Some of the advancements on some of them is really neat. I just don't want to be left behind.

There's a sticky'd topic for unity, last I recall there was rumor of an alpha by summer's end.

I often bring up the aging status of the software. There's a ton of hope pinned on Unity solving things, but even Dynamic Lighting is years late on comparison charts. FGU will need something to gain back a fraction of the market share it has lost to other platforms. I have my eye on a few things myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    There's a sticky'd topic for unity, last I recall there was rumor of an alpha by summer's end.

I often bring up the aging status of the software. There's a ton of hope pinned on Unity solving things, but even Dynamic Lighting is years late on comparison charts. FGU will need something to gain back a fraction of the market share it has lost to other platforms. I have my eye on a few things myself.
    For me it is the core implementation and server / client structure that overall keeps FG as my primary driver. I haven't seen any VTT that have goals in the areas I am in interested in personally. But I agree with you, FGU has a lot riding on it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post

That is also my main concern. Taking a while to get a proper product on the market is never a problem. However, i have seen it more than once that certain products are in development fase and dropped in the end due to aging as technology and developtment has passed them.

Hopefully your comment will be noted.

Blog Entries
    In the time that Unity has been in development around 18 new versions of the current software have also been released.
    Along with new rulesets licensed and lots of DLC added.
    Unity may or may not be everything that people hope it will - but the current product continues to evolve and improve.

What I hope for (but probably won’t get) a is proper SDK for doing rulesets, extensions and modifications.

When I was doing GUI programming work long time ago in with WindowsForms, the tools in Visual Studio saved me so much time, pain and agony while adjusting all controls on screen and their settings. I have friends that work in game companies and the most important tools are the one that allow game designer to work without touching the code.
    If FG had proper tools that speed up the work and have “intellisense” experience I am pretty sure the amount of extensions, rulesets and the overall quality will explode. Also better documentation won’t hurt at all

On many boards the FG is introduced as software with great community and community based resources, but today the amount of people who can develop “production quality” ruleset/extension is not that big number. It is rather small. Games as NWN, SC, Skyrim and other, that provided editors to the community flourished. I have few guys that I introduced to FG that loved it, but when asked how they can make things for it such as theme or modification to the ruleset, the LUA and XML were a turn off.

I write code as part of my job, but I don’t want to do that for my hobby. I want something to allow me to do great things without feeling like I am doing overtime...
    Last edited by Valyar; August 12th, 2018 at 09:08.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
    What I hope for (but probably won’t get) a is proper SDK for doing rulesets, extensions and modifications.

When I was doing GUI programming work long time ago in with WindowsForms, the tools in Visual Studio saved me so much time, pain and agony while adjusting all controls on screen and their settings. I have friends that work in game companies and the most important tools are the one that allow game designer to work without touching the code.
    If FG had proper tools that speed up the work and have “intellisense” experience I am pretty sure the amount of extensions, rulesets and the overall quality will explode. Also better documentation won’t hurt at all

On many boards the FG is introduced as software with great community and community based resources, but today the amount of people who can develop “production quality” ruleset/extension is not that big number. It is rather small. Games as NWN, SC, Skyrim and other, that provided editors to the community flourished. I have few guys that I introduced to FG that loved it, but when asked how they can make things for it such as theme or modification to the ruleset, the LUA and XML were a turn off.

I write code as part of my job, but I don’t want to do that for my hobby. I want something to allow me to do great things without feeling like I am doing overtime...
    It is a nice wish but its not really realistic. NWN sold a million copies in its 1st year alone. Its not even in the same ball park.

Thread Information