5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettM View Post
    As a former Roll20 users, their first implementation of FoW was essentially Line of Sight — you only saw what your vision allowed, regardless of what you saw in the past. (Before that it was similar to FG current system — the DM/GM reveals areas.)

About 1 - 2 years ago Roll20 released “Advanced Fog of War” stylized on WoW apparently (I don’t play Wow). This had three (or arguably four) layers...

• Layer 1 was what your vision currently could see (similar to their ‘original’ FoW);
    • Layer 2 was ‘static’ areas you had previously seen — hallways, rooms, etc.;
    • Layer 3 was ‘dynamic’ items, like NPCs / monsters - they would only appear if in your current vision, otherwise ‘invisible’ to you — think of an NPC around the corner or out of your 60’ darkvision;
    • Layer 4 would be the “GM Layer”, where the GM could place anything and it would only be visible to the GM, regardless the PCs vision — think an invisible creature, or a creature on another plane

The Advanced FoW was a memory hog when first released, so our gang didn’t use it after 10 minutes of trying. It was apparently improved, but we ran into other issues (and we’re a pretty technically capable group), so gave up and continued with the ‘original’ FoW.

I hope that helps .
    A few notes on this:

• Roll20's Advanced Fog of War was based the RTS (Real-Time Strategy) game Warcraft, not the MMO World of Warcraft.
    • Almost every RTS uses the same system. Map is completely blanked out until you see a region of it for the first time. Then, if no one is around to see it, it is greyed out, showing only the terrain and not the creatures/units.
    • It worked fine for my group when I was in Roll20. They have just recently made it more efficient. Or so I've read; I don't play there any longer.
    • A well-written stand-alone application will handle it much better than a browser. That's the biggest problem Roll20 has when it comes to advanced features: almost everything is more complicated to develop using a browser.
    Fantasy Grounds Unity Lives! Good job, Smiteworks!

Thanks Three of Swords. Good to know. Lol - I played the original version of Warcraft. I always assumed WoW when mentioned on the Roll20 forums.

So, I've a question and this might be more for Carl/Moon.

Will FGU have more API for controls like listboxes, radiobuttons, comboboxes, cascading menus or miller type columns? I'm guessing the answer is yes since it's being written in Unity but curious.

One of the things I've ran across at times is when I want to use a standard type of control like a combobox or the like it's actually just a simulated version of it. If we will have access to standard controls I think that will go a long long way to being able to improve the UI.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    So, I've a question and this might be more for Carl/Moon.

Will FGU have more API for controls like listboxes, radiobuttons, comboboxes, cascading menus or miller type columns? I'm guessing the answer is yes since it's being written in Unity but curious.

One of the things I've ran across at times is when I want to use a standard type of control like a combobox or the like it's actually just a simulated version of it. If we will have access to standard controls I think that will go a long long way to being able to improve the UI.
    Eheh, Celestian are you experimenting with Foundry VTT ? That's the beauty of web ui development. I'm not expecting that much on that area but maybe I'm just a bit pessimistic.
    My twitch channel

Currently DMing:
    D&D 5e - "Waterdeep: Dragon Heist"

Language: Italian

Quote Originally Posted by st4lk3r87 View Post
    Eheh, Celestian are you experimenting with Foundry VTT ? That's the beauty of web ui development. I'm not expecting that much on that area but maybe I'm just a bit pessimistic.
    I'm watching it, as I tend to do with all VTTs, for tips/ideas to use for my own ruleset here. My questions originate however from evaluating the UI in my ruleset and how to improve it. One of my friends is a UI design/layout dev and he was giving me some advice. Most of which was not something I could do without some of the UI elements I mentioned. Those pieces are in Unity so I expect we could have those controls but I'm wondering if it's on the table.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    I'm watching it, as I tend to do with all VTTs, for tips/ideas to use for my own ruleset here. My questions originate however from evaluating the UI in my ruleset and how to improve it. One of my friends is a UI design/layout dev and he was giving me some advice. Most of which was not something I could do without some of the UI elements I mentioned. Those pieces are in Unity so I expect we could have those controls but I'm wondering if it's on the table.
    I'm a UI Dev too. I hope they will answer to this
    My twitch channel

Currently DMing:
    D&D 5e - "Waterdeep: Dragon Heist"

Language: Italian

Incase any UI dev's want a side project, PCGen is looking to redo it's UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Three of Swords View Post
    A few notes on this:

• Roll20's Advanced Fog of War was based the RTS (Real-Time Strategy) game Warcraft, not the MMO World of Warcraft.
    • Almost every RTS uses the same system. Map is completely blanked out until you see a region of it for the first time. Then, if no one is around to see it, it is greyed out, showing only the terrain and not the creatures/units.
    • It worked fine for my group when I was in Roll20. They have just recently made it more efficient. Or so I've read; I don't play there any longer.
    • A well-written stand-alone application will handle it much better than a browser. That's the biggest problem Roll20 has when it comes to advanced features: almost everything is more complicated to develop using a browser.
    I agree to ignore FGU, most will be burnt out on D&D or at least ready for a long break before when or even if it is released. Certainly not in 2019. They do not have any obligation or so it appears the knowledge to do so with present team to advance it. It works better than most as is so go with that.

I'm curious as to how many users are closely watching this thread for FGU news? I'd be lying if I were to say I wasn't but I definitely am. I also think being part of this community is a sign to being loyal to FG. I'm going to remain positive and eager to see what's to come. Now that we have news of D&D's next book we know there will likely be a big stream in May or before and maybe a door to introduce the new software..... hehehe!

Until then I continue to watch the Amazing Race of VTT's on the web and am still enjoying all the mechanics of FG for the DM! (It's going to be tough to beat).
    Patou a.k.a: Patmaster
    Challenging players since 1987
    2E, 3.5E & now 5E
    https://twitter.com/PatouLeFou
    Discord = @PatouLeFou

Quote Originally Posted by Cluanar View Post
    I agree to ignore FGU.
    Nothing in the message you quoted suggested ignoring FGU. You're either agreeing with something not stated, or quoting the wrong message.

Thread Information