Starfinder Playlist

All the link in the PHB does is open the tables window with the PHB group selected.

Quote Originally Posted by immotus View Post
    No, I am referring to a different Tables button. In fact, there is no button to this Table of Tables. There is only a shortcut and its only in a specific place. You can drag the shortcut to the Hotkey bar at the bottom BUT only when you have the PHB module open. Otherwise you are digging through the pile looking for a Table of Tables named Tables ... which is the same name as the Primary Table of Tables named Tables. I am sure that the ability to create Groups came into existence for this very thing. Unfortunately, that table of tables I am referring to is not in any group; at least not that I can find.

That brings up another issue ... Namespaces. That's where the [Prefix][Title][Suffix] kludge comes into play when trying to organize your content.

Ah! HA! There is a group! Its just not organized consistently.
    I'd suggest that once you have the modules opened that you need for your campaign that you access the content from the buttons down the right. If you click on the Library button you'll see at the top of the window that opens a number of check boxes. Tick the buttons that you want to see down the right or select one of the pre defined options at the top. When you click on one of the buttons on the right you will see (as you discovered) that you can select a group, or do a search for items across of the module you have open in the window that opens.

As we generally say to new users don't try to fight the UI; try to get used to how it works and after a while it will become normal.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by immotus View Post
    Yes but, more intuitive.
    Every user has a different set of experiences with other applications and so each user comes to FG with a different definition of what is intuitive.

One of the things I do is teach technical software. And the same comments come up often when training someone new to any piece of software and many users feel the new software is not "intuitive" because it doesn't look and behave like what they have used before.

Not that the FG UI can't be improved, but I always suggest people learn and master the current UI before worrying too much about changing it to something they as new to the s/w thinks might be better. Their might just be very valid user experience reasons why the UI behaves like it does.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Every user has a different set of experiences with other applications and so each user comes to FG with a different definition of what is intuitive.

One of the things I do is teach technical software. And the same comments come up often when training someone new to any piece of software and many users feel the new software is not "intuitive" because it doesn't look and behave like what they have used before.

Not that the FG UI can't be improved, but I always suggest people learn and master the current UI before worrying too much about changing it to something they as new to the s/w thinks might be better. Their might just be very valid user experience reasons why the UI behaves like it does.
    Agreed with this, the UI while lacking features I would like (bindable hotkeys in a settings window to any keyboard combination, eg. ctrl-t for table and such. Which I could then macro to mouse buttons) is far more functional than it initially seems to be and can be used very effectively, even if it takes a bit of learning.

There is more sense to some of the design decisions than initially presents, and other decisions that have come from the limitations of the program its self from what I can tell. Othertimes like the droplists for story groups Smiteworks has listened, so it is well worth taking the time to put forward desired changes in the relevant area

I love FG and am still discovering features.
    Maybe what I think is most confusing for me is syncing maps; not being able to know if my
    players actually see what I see after I change the map. Syncing is so important, but always a couple of clicks away...
    Not sure if you share this "issue" with me? If the GM would know what the players see on their screen (at least the maps), that might work.

Hi mir2, welcome to FG.

Since everyone (players and DM) can independently change their view of a map, zoom in and out or even close the map altogether you can't be sure what the players are seeing. In order for the DM to be able to view what the players are seeing you'd need an awful lot off screen space. If you have six players you'd need the space to see six different maps. I think such would be impractical. You can right click on a map and select 'Sharing' and the 'Sync Client View' to force the players view to be the same as yours at any time. In almost all cases everyone is concentrated on the same section of a map anyway - where the combat is taking place - or the area that the DM has just revealed. It isn't an issue I've come across, except maybe when a player closes a map and syncing the view cures the problem. It may be different if you use a lot of overland maps where you might be describing a journey or some such. For that kind of thing I use a shared story entry called 'You are here'. By pinning that story to where the PCs are on the map and then sharing the pin the players have a green pin to see where they are.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by mir2 View Post
    Maybe what I think is most confusing for me is syncing maps; not being able to know if my
    players actually see what I see after I change the map. Syncing is so important, but always a couple of clicks away...
    Not sure if you share this "issue" with me? If the GM would know what the players see on their screen (at least the maps), that might work.
    I could make it into a single click button for the image pane with an extension if you really need it. Personally I don't find much use in synching images that frequently though.

Maybe once every 6 sessions. The rest of the time I will simply draw an arrow.

The biggest help for most GMs learning FG is to start another instance of FG on the same computer as the GM instance and "Join Game" with a server address of localhost

This will allow you to see what's been shared, what the players see on the combat tracker, etc.. You shouldn't need to "sync" the map to update things like tokens, masking, lines, drawings, etc. - these are done automatically.

Syncing an image can change the size and view of that image, which can actually be quite annoying to players. As a player I'll spend a couple of second resizing/zooming an image to have it displaying nicely on the FG desktop with all the other things I have open. If the GM then syncs the image view, it can screw that up.

Try using the second instance as mentioned above. This will help greatly in learning what the players see and when.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks to all three above!
    I also used the suggestions above with a second localhost account.
    Just thinking that for some applications - for example when you are just using a second notebook/pad as live map and movement/exploration tool (with everybody sitting at the table) - a mode where you live feed what the screen sees would be cool. This can include images (of monsters etc.) you share and then also close remotely. I believe such a mode could make this program even more versatile and intuitive.
    I hope this makes sense. As I said FG is really cool as it is.

Thanks to all three above!
    I also used the suggestions above with a second localhost account.
    Just thinking that for some applications - for example when you are just using a second notebook/pad as live map and movement/exploration tool (with everybody sitting at the table) - a mode where you live feed what the screen sees would be cool. This can include images (of monsters etc.) you share and then also close remotely. I believe such a mode could make this program even more versatile and intuitive.
    I hope this makes sense. As I said FG is really cool as it is.
    You can do this either by joining your game using localhost on the same computer and sending the joined game to a second screen or join your game with a second computer on the same network using the local IP address of the host computer rather than the alias. This instance would be a player instance to which you can share maps, images etc.

Thread Information