All the link in the PHB does is open the tables window with the PHB group selected.

Quote Originally Posted by immotus View Post
    No, I am referring to a different Tables button. In fact, there is no button to this Table of Tables. There is only a shortcut and its only in a specific place. You can drag the shortcut to the Hotkey bar at the bottom BUT only when you have the PHB module open. Otherwise you are digging through the pile looking for a Table of Tables named Tables ... which is the same name as the Primary Table of Tables named Tables. I am sure that the ability to create Groups came into existence for this very thing. Unfortunately, that table of tables I am referring to is not in any group; at least not that I can find.

That brings up another issue ... Namespaces. That's where the [Prefix][Title][Suffix] kludge comes into play when trying to organize your content.

Ah! HA! There is a group! Its just not organized consistently.
    I'd suggest that once you have the modules opened that you need for your campaign that you access the content from the buttons down the right. If you click on the Library button you'll see at the top of the window that opens a number of check boxes. Tick the buttons that you want to see down the right or select one of the pre defined options at the top. When you click on one of the buttons on the right you will see (as you discovered) that you can select a group, or do a search for items across of the module you have open in the window that opens.

As we generally say to new users don't try to fight the UI; try to get used to how it works and after a while it will become normal.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea to the wish list http://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by immotus View Post
    Yes but, more intuitive.
    Every user has a different set of experiences with other applications and so each user comes to FG with a different definition of what is intuitive.

One of the things I do is teach technical software. And the same comments come up often when training someone new to any piece of software and many users feel the new software is not "intuitive" because it doesn't look and behave like what they have used before.

Not that the FG UI can't be improved, but I always suggest people learn and master the current UI before worrying too much about changing it to something they as new to the s/w thinks might be better. Their might just be very valid user experience reasons why the UI behaves like it does.

Current Projects: Ultimate Undermountain (NYDUM)
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets
    DMsGuild Content: Balance Disturbed (Adventure), Dungeon Room Descriptions
    FG Product Reviews: Virtual Scribe Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Every user has a different set of experiences with other applications and so each user comes to FG with a different definition of what is intuitive.

One of the things I do is teach technical software. And the same comments come up often when training someone new to any piece of software and many users feel the new software is not "intuitive" because it doesn't look and behave like what they have used before.

Not that the FG UI can't be improved, but I always suggest people learn and master the current UI before worrying too much about changing it to something they as new to the s/w thinks might be better. Their might just be very valid user experience reasons why the UI behaves like it does.
    Agreed with this, the UI while lacking features I would like (bindable hotkeys in a settings window to any keyboard combination, eg. ctrl-t for table and such. Which I could then macro to mouse buttons) is far more functional than it initially seems to be and can be used very effectively, even if it takes a bit of learning.

There is more sense to some of the design decisions than initially presents, and other decisions that have come from the limitations of the program its self from what I can tell. Othertimes like the droplists for story groups Smiteworks has listened, so it is well worth taking the time to put forward desired changes in the relevant area

Thread Information