DICE PACKS BUNDLE
    I meant Standard and don't even know what "Lite" was about, since I am looking into FG for the first time (coming from Hero Lab).

Quote Originally Posted by Weissrolf View Post
    As someone looking fresh into FG: Does it even make sense to invest in FG Classic, now that Unity is right around the corner?
    A few other points FGU will not be ready for several months. Anything you buy for classic carries over to FGU so you don't lose anything.

As far as I understand the Kickstarter page the release is scheduled for December 19 already. So it seems that once I wrapped my head around the Classic program it likely just became obsolete and then I pay for the upgrade and have to relearn the Unity version.

I will watch some videos on YT to see how FG works with prebuild Adventure Path content to first a feel how FG handles things anyway, found one that shows the GM view for a PF2 session. The demo does not tell me enough about that.

The beta is PROJECTED for December. They may not sell the beta until they have the real release candidate, which probably wouldn’t be until March if you are lucky. They have not announced any plans about final release. They might publicly sell the beta but they haven’t said that.
    And most of what you learn will translate directly to FGU. Only maps and images are intended to be different.
    Last edited by Bidmaron; August 19th, 2019 at 12:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    The beta is PROJECTED for December. They may not sell the beta until they have the real release candidate, which probably wouldn’t be until March if you are lucky. They have not announced any plans about final release. They might publicly sell the beta but they haven’t said that.
    And most of what you learn will translate directly to FGU. Only maps and images are intended to be different.
    They've already said that they aren't going to sell the Beta at all. If you didn't back the kickstarter, you'll be waiting for the release of the final thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
    The beta is PROJECTED for December.
    Going from one of the Kickstarter updates (#14), general release is planned for december, as long as alpha/beta go smoothly.
    Pathfinder/Traveller GM - Sometimes running CPRed, CoC, AD&D2E, and other stuff - Ultimate License
    Currently running Pirates of Drinax, and Skulls and Shackles
    Check out my little dungeon map blog

Blog Entries
    The general release date was slated for Dec 2019 -- if the Alpha and Beta go well and all significant issues are resolved enough for a release. We just began the full Alpha and we are getting lots of feedback to go along with our other known issues. We don't have enough info to update the release date at this time. A monthly subscription might not be a bad option at this point if you wanted to start playing with FG Classic.

That is good news. When I made my pledge, the KS estimated deleuvery date was December, and I interpreted that to mean the beta was December since all pledges got beta access (or Alfa). Would be nice to have the real release in December!
    That is an awfully aggressive date based upon my personal experience in software projects. But here’s hoping it’s true! They did make alpha on or near projection, so if that was what December meant then great!
    Last edited by Bidmaron; August 19th, 2019 at 14:36.

So with the release date not so far in the future. How much is the UI experience going to change, as in how much will I have to learn two (somewhat complicated) programs within a few months time if I start with Classic now and then go Unity?

Subscription could be a good idea, but then it might cost me more than just paying the update for the one-time version. The worst scenario would be the one were I buy Classic now, then need the next few months to really wrap my head around all of it, just for Unity to come out and make it all obsolete. That way I payed just to learn an already outdated software and then pay again to learn a new one, which I may finally put to full use.

The UI will be very similar, since the rulesets (i.e. game system implementations) drive the majority of the UI. The one exception is that the image features will be expanded dramatically in FGU with new UI and features (to support line-of-sight, enhanced painting, and more).

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information