5E Character Create Playlist
Page 93 of 158 First ... 43839192939495103143 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    Some more FGU features displayed.
    Added to the FAQ
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    IMO, it's not about which way(s) are correct or incorrect. It's about ways in which one can use the software to it's most useful for the user. Often times it is best to use software to the best capabilities of the software. Not to try to use it in a manner that you want or think would be best if the software is not capable of that way.

I have this same discussion on other software programs, ones that cost $20000 USD per person, and ones in a similar market to FG like Campaign Cartographer. You can chose to fight the software because it doesn't "work like you want it to", or you "can learn to use it to it's best."

To paraphrase (badly); 'an interface may be perfect for some, and may work all, but it can never be perfect for all.'

Also, remember that redesigning the interface is NOT one of the stated or hinted-at objectives for FGU. So while it is great to give Smiteworks ideas for how the interface could be improved, don't expect any changes in the near future. And, speaking from experience, when the UI is overhauled, it will most likely be done over many versions and many years. And there is good reason for taking years to do a UI overhaul, one part is simple that you have to allow the current users to learn the new UI in bits and pieces. (While a whole sale change might be welcomed by those new to an application, it always alienates a very large percentage of existing users. You know, those customers who helped make you successful.)
    This guys says it best, and that was all I was really saying. I posted a video from DDM Dave that shows how he organises his windows, and that's the method I use and it works best for me. I really don't think you need all of those windows open at the same time and as has been said they CAN be minimized and the pogs moved around as you please. I'm just saying that I can organise my windows in a way that works for me. I don't want a full overhaul nor do I think it's necessary. I also hate the way GIMP is set up personally and do NOT want that for FG.

I'll also mention, I do this all on ONE monitor, and find I do not need more than one.

Quote Originally Posted by shadelon View Post
    This guys says it best, and that was all I was really saying. I posted a video from DDM Dave that shows how he organises his windows, and that's the method I use and it works best for me. I really don't think you need all of those windows open at the same time and as has been said they CAN be minimized and the pogs moved around as you please. I'm just saying that I can organise my windows in a way that works for me. I don't want a full overhaul nor do I think it's necessary. I also hate the way GIMP is set up personally and do NOT want that for FG.

I'll also mention, I do this all on ONE monitor, and find I do not need more than one.
    I'm very glad the current UI works well for you, and I'm sure many others. As I said, nobody's asking for a complete upheaval of the current UI or removal of any features, just additional options and easier, more familiar ways of doing things. Perhaps my mention of GIMP earlier was confusing. I don't think a change to a completely GIMP-like model is appropriate, but I wanted to demonstrate that having the windows not constrained to the main FG window would solve the multi-monitor need and make the UI generally more flexible. I used GIMP as an (imperfect) example to more easily illustrate what I was thinking. Sorry if that caused confusion.

It's worth noting that the #1 requested feature on the wishlist is multi-monitor support. While some don't need it, clearly many do, and I don't see how it existing would take anything away from anyone.
    https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=54190

Cheers!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notrealdan View Post
    It's worth noting that the #1 requested feature on the wishlist is multi-monitor support. While some don't need it, clearly many do, and I don't see how it existing would take anything away from anyone.
    https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=54190
    I believe it was Carl, though maybe John, that has elsewhere (or earlier in this thread) mentioned that the libraries for disconnected windows (like Gimp) in Unity are not very robust. And though Unity is reported to have that function, it's not mature enough for SW to use it. Hopefully that will change in the near future though.

I'm sure multiple monitor support is something that will be adopted as soon as SW thinks they can do so with a reasonable amount of effort and that's it's always near the top of their list.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I believe it was Carl, though maybe John, that has elsewhere (or earlier in this thread) mentioned that the libraries for disconnected windows (like Gimp) in Unity are not very robust. And though Unity is reported to have that function, it's not mature enough for SW to use it. Hopefully that will change in the near future though.
    Honestly right now I'd be happy with just "window containment" a bit. So when I click on a story from the Story records list it doesn't open a new "story" window if one exists, it just opens that story into the story window already on the FG desktop. Maybe hold control while clicking the entry to open in another window. Same for NPCs or encounters/etc. I rarely if ever need more than one window of these items and if I do... control-click would be the solution.

I've actually been prodding around in the code tonight trying to see if I can do this but so far I've not found a final solution.

Yeah, I know about the <- and -> at the bottom of stories for the next/previous ones... thats kinda the idea I want but for any story I click on, not just the prev/next ones on THAT story.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by celestian View Post
    I've actually been prodding around in the code tonight trying to see if I can do this but so far I've not found a final solution....
    Ken posted something in the workshop? earlier today with something you might like...

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Ken posted something in the workshop? earlier today with something you might like...
    I just found that! Saved me figuring this out

Here is the link for the Extension for anyone else that might find it useful.
    ---
    Fantasy Grounds AD&D Reference Bundle, AD&D Adventure Bundle 1, AD&D Adventure Bundle 2
    Documentation for AD&D 2E ruleset.
    Custom Maps (I2, S4, T1-4, Barrowmaze,Lost City of Barakus)
    Note: Please do not message me directly on this site, post in the forums or ping me in FG's discord.

Quote Originally Posted by Andraax View Post
    Well, heck, I wish Microsoft had stayed with the original UI. Creating something new is bad, dontcha know?
    Exactly, the current users of FG fear a change to the UI...

Quote Originally Posted by shadzar View Post
    Exactly, the current users of FG fear a change to the UI...
    I fear a HUGE change to the UI that invalidates so much hard work by community developers over the years or completely breaks the way I use FG at the tabletop.

Luckily, unlike some, SmiteWorks don't have the opinion that old users or other people's hard work should be ignored or thrown away.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    The primary goals for FGU v1 are:
    - Native PC, OSX, and Linux
    - Improved networking with IPv6
    - 64-bit executables
    - Improved memory management
    - Improved drawing and mapping tools
    - Backwards compatibility
    - Better support for non-English languages (I'll stop short of saying Unicode. There are currently 136,000 characters in Unicode.)

John and I have discussed other improvements, including better window management. We agree that the organization of minimized windows is clunky and should be updated. We have outlined the potential requirements to include faster access to minimized windows and easier identification of what the minimized windows are. No decisions have been reached regarding how this will ultimately be implemented. As has been mentioned previously, there is a mountain of official and community developed content and we do not intend to break the existing content. Where possible, we are including fallback cases so that FGU v1 content will still work in some capacity in FGC.

We read this thread and others (the Wishlist is not a black hole, we do regularly check it) with interest and the ideas presented are considered. As noted, no decisions have been reached regarding how window management will be improved. Specifically regarding independent child windows that can be moved outside of the application window, the architecture does not support this and will likely continue to not support it.

I humbly submit that Fantasy Grounds has better support for a rules systems and better integration of additional content (modules and sourcebooks) than any competing VTT. FGU v1 is intended to bring the rest of the features in line with the expectations of a modern VTT.

Thread Information