DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Isometric View

Blog Entries

Isometric View

Since the maps can overlay square or hex grids, would it possible to include a way to lay out a grid for isometric view maps at some point? Or is that something you are considering for the next FG update on the Unity platform?
    Writer for Just Insert Imagination and co-host of the Wild Die Podcast.
    Find me on G+ to get in on one-shots, check out my YouTube and Twitch channel and follow me on Twitter @Mask_of_Winter

I think the biggest challenge with isometric map grids is that the overhead viewing angle and view direction for the scene shown in the map will have a big impact on drawing a grid. To build a feature like that, we would need to add the capability to "skew" the grid on both axes, and provide an interface to manage that.

Currently, the FG grid system only supports straight lines well, which you will see since hexes have more limited support. We're looking at updating the grid subsystem as part of Unity push.

Regards,
    JPG

If you look closely at a lot of Isometric Views there are very close to, or actually are, Hexagonal Grids.

Of course, using the existing Hex Grid "locks" us in to only one viewing angle - but how is this different from the single viewing angle of "top-down".

I would make the suggestion that if the ongoing work with the Hex Grid System were continued (& maybe even speeded up a little - please please please please please) then we'd kill two birds with one (Hexagonal) stone.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Blog Entries
    Yes please to isometric squares/hexes for maps.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

I fourth this! Reviving an old thread. Perhaps in Unity

re-reviving... Do we know if Unity does have isometric map grids included? If so, are they hex based, or something entirely different?
    Ultimate License: Fantasy Grounds Unity
    Timezone: Eastern (GMT -4)
    Play Time: Prefer 6 p.m. Eastern, or later
    Playing and GM: Savage Worlds Adventure Edition / D&D 5e
    Discord: vripley#8567
    youtube.com/c/vaughnripley

Yes, Unity supports isometric grids. They are diamond shaped as far as I can see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Yes, Unity supports isometric grids. They are diamond shaped as far as I can see.
    To conclude that: One can also change the width and height of the grid to try to simulate a isometric grid One definition (and probably the most common?) for isometric grids is "width/height = square root of 3" and therefore one has to adjust the sizes a bit, e.g.: (I rounded the square root of 3 very roughly)

screenshot0008.png

EDIT: Hopefully okay to show
    Last edited by Kelrugem; October 24th, 2019 at 20:50.

Still diamond shaped
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Thread Information