5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
    I still haven't decided what sort of license I'll buy, though I'm pretty sure I'll buy something; I'm really impressed with the software. One question I have is about pricing and Steam. (I like using Steam because I like having all my game stuff in one cloudy place, retrievable if and when my current PC dies!)

Is the lump-sum Ultimate License on Steam a bit more expensive than through the website here? Steam says you have to buy the $39.99 license first, then upgrade to Ultimate by paying $114.99 -- a total of about $155. Whereas the lump-sum license here is about $150. Do I have that right?

Thanks in advance.

You can buy it here and when Doug sends a list of retail license keys to Valve you can register it in the Steam interface.

Blog Entries
    Nylanfs is correct. I just sent a batch of keys over to Valve that were purchased on our store last Friday (1/2). It could be another month or two before I send over a new batch for activation.

On our site, there is a slight discount if you go straight to the Ultimate versus upgrading here as well. The Steam price is slightly higher because we weren't able to support the direct purchase of the Ultimate on Steam without creating a completely new app. That, in turn, would have caused us issues with keeping the DLC separate, but in sync. Long story short, it ended up being slightly higher.

Thanks; that sounds reasonable. I'll think on it.

I hope I don't sound silly. I'm still trying to figure out how to buy this. I don't have the amount to just by the license so the best way for me is to do the subscription but do I have to still buy the DnD 5th edition items or are they part of the subscription. This may sound like a dumb question and I'm sorry if it is or as been asked. I want to get my group into it but they are already put off by the price. I told them I would pay the 10 dollars a month but I just wondering how the different campagins work. Thanks for any infomation you can give and I know the money doesn't go to help us buy the license but is there any way you guys could come up with a system like that. I would love to get all your items but being a poor teacher has a draw back. We don't make much money. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by sillyxander View Post
    I hope I don't sound silly. I'm still trying to figure out how to buy this. I don't have the amount to just by the license so the best way for me is to do the subscription but do I have to still buy the DnD 5th edition items or are they part of the subscription. This may sound like a dumb question and I'm sorry if it is or as been asked. I want to get my group into it but they are already put off by the price. I told them I would pay the 10 dollars a month but I just wondering how the different campagins work. Thanks for any infomation you can give and I know the money doesn't go to help us buy the license but is there any way you guys could come up with a system like that. I would love to get all your items but being a poor teacher has a draw back. We don't make much money. Thanks again.
    The subscription just gives you the base product - which includes the framework to play a number of games, but no data (unless it's an OGL product like 3.5e or Pathfinder). The 5E products require purchasing, although the base 5E framework is provided with your subscription. "Ultimate" means that the players don't need a licence. You still need to purchase the add on products (library modules, adventure modules, etc.) if you need them. You can enter your own data if you don't want to buy the extra products, but this can take many hours.

If you live in North America, you can use the PayPal option to pay off a purchase above $99 over 6 months interest free - this might be an option for you to pay installments and get to keep the products.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Alternately what you could do is get a reloadable pre-paid credit card and have everyone in the group chip in to put the required funds on it every month or so till you have enough to make the purchase.

Blog Entries
    get the Ultimate Sub and buy the Basic Rules for $3.
    if your players declare they want to play more classes have them chip in $15each and you can buy the D&D Complete Core Class Pack.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    get the Ultimate Sub and buy the Basic Rules for $3.
    if your players declare they want to play more classes have them chip in $15each and you can buy the D&D Complete Core Class Pack.
    Just to add to that, if you buy Lost Mines of Phandelver it includes the Basic Rules for DM & Player. Doesn't say so in the notes

Thread Information