STAR TREK 2d20
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe
    Sure, its a permanent bonus and Craft (alchemy) is crafting alchemical items.
    I wouldn't neccessarily say so. The ability doesn't say "alchemists get a bonus equal to their level on all Craft (alchemy) rolls" but it says they get the bonus on "Craft (alchemy) rolls to craft alchemical items". This is a situational bonus, and using Craft (alchemy) doesn't always involve crafting an item. The day job can also include identifying alchemical substances.
    As far as I know, permanent bonuses only apply to day job checks if they are granted to the skill check without any condition what the check is for. But if you can give me an official quote that says otherwise, I'd be happy to know I always left out a nice bonus to my day job rolls.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
    - Abraham Lincoln

83 % of made-up statistics use the number "83 %".

For best results, don't fail.

Blog Entries
    To be completely honest.. that particular bonus hardly seems 'fair' as it gives all alchemists a big day job boost that other classes do not get... although certainly there are some vanities that switch day jobs from 'useless' craft skills to primary skills and have a similar effect... potentially an alchemist who is loaded up on alchemy (a skill they actually can use in PFS), crafter's fortune, AND this bonus could have a very high skill roll.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

The max you can get for a day job is 150gp (40+ roll), no matter how high you roll. If the alchemist in question is at such a high level that their level bonus seems unfair then maxing out at 150gp is not actually a huge game changing value. At 7th level (+7 to craft alchemy), for example, our example alchemist would still be pushed to roll 40 for their day job - and at this level 150 gp is just over 3% of what they'd normally get for a completed subtier 7-8 scenario.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    You make an excellent point.
    A full tilt alchemist with 7 ranks + level 7 + crafter's fortune 5 + 20 INT 5 + Gnome +2 + alchemist's lab (not sure if you can buy one in PFS or not) 2 + class skill 3 = 31? Take 10 and you roll a 41 every time. So yeah.. it's meaningless at higher levels where the bonus actually gets big.

33*150=4950 if you roll 40 every time from day 1 to level 12
    That's an extra something pretty.... you probably blew it on alchemical supplies that you threw to blow up something.
    Last edited by Blackfoot; August 15th, 2014 at 05:11.

Yeah, it is pretty crazy to think I will have a +18 Day Job roll at the very start of my character. Also I didn't think this question would provoke so much of a response.

Ranks +1
    Class Skill +3
    Int Mod. +5
    Trait +2
    Masterwork Tools +2
    Spell +5

Blog Entries
    You can't have masterwork tools unless you buy an Alchemist's Lab.. I think it costs 200gp.

You're right on the noise with an alchemist lab, but I'm not an Alchemist. I'm a wizard who crafts (Books), artisan tool's are much cheaper then a lab.

Perhaps some confusion as I had asked the question regarding an alchemist. But yes, the OP was regarding books.

I'm going to have to resurrect this thread again for a new questeion. I don't a rule where it's legal or illegal, but in between session can I purchase additional legal spells using the Core Rulebook rule on page 219.

At 10gp per spell?

Quote Originally Posted by kwarner1986 View Post
    I'm going to have to resurrect this thread again for a new questeion. I don't a rule where it's legal or illegal, but in between session can I purchase additional legal spells using the Core Rulebook rule on page 219.

At 10gp per spell?
    You need access to the new spell - either from a spellbook found in the scenario you played or from a scroll either found in a scenario (if you have time to scribe the spell during the scenario) or one you bought. You need to pay the cost required for the materials to scribe the spell into your spellbook (5gp 0 level spell, 10gp 1st, 40gp 2nd, etc.)

You also need to make the Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell’s level) to understand the spell before you can copy it. This roll should be done in the presence of a GM (at the start of your next session is OK). If you can take 10 and succeed automatically then there is no need for a roll. Either way though, you should ask the GM to initial the new spells gained in the notes section of your chronicle sheet (as per step 8 on page 36 of the Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play PDF).
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information