5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... Last

D&D Basic Rules PDF Parser

Parses Monsters & Spells from D&D Basic Rules PDFs into modules (Players Rules v0.2, DM Rules v0.1, Hoard of the Dragon Queen Supplement, The Rise of Tiamat)

Important! If not using English then you must change your settings when you run this for it to work:
    Control Panel -> Clock, Language & Regional settings -> Change format of numbers -> set it to English (U.S.)
    (Thanks to kane280484 for this fix)

Still a few minor issues such as spells missing tables.

This application (which requires .Net 4.0) will:

1) Download Basic Rules from wizards.com (unless already selected or present)

2) Parse the files for Spells and Monsters

3) Create modules for Spells and Monsters

4) Attempt to move the modules to your FG modules directory (overwrites existing file)

5) Creates npcs.txt, spells.txt, backgrounds.txt, equipment.txt, tables.txt, races.txt, referencemanual.txt for use with Par5E
    Last edited by valeros; December 30th, 2014 at 20:12.

Parse puts the first sentence from the spell description in Summary. That's what displays on the character sheet in "Summary" mode. The first sentence is typically a brief description of what the spell does. Source in Par5e is "cleric" or "wizard" currently, depending on which spell list it came from. Nice upload though--I'm battling Par5e trying to get it to kick out a spells module, so I'm happy using this at the moment!
    "We all take our risks, here in the dungeon." --Bargle
    Watch For Falling Meteors (Twitch.tv) Wednesday @ 7:00 PM Mountain - 5E World of Mystara
    Ultimate License DM
    Watch for Falling Meteors (YouTube Playlist)
    Xorn's 5E @ FG Tutorials (YouTube Playlist)

Thanks! Par5e is like black tongue to me...

Vires Animi

Blog Entries
    Nice tool Valeros.

As Xorn says, I use a source field (containing the class title) to populate the Spell Summary field. You can also now ignore Descriptors, this was left-over from play test material and is no longer used since BR was released.

As for PAR5E being difficult to use, can you guys elaborate a little? Is it the engine interface, the language used to markup source text or a combination of both thats proving to be challenging? In the case of Spells, the required markup is quite straightforward and consists of an index of each classes spells followed by a serialised copy of the pdf formatted spell descriptions? Granted, if you want to nicely format embedded tables etc. there's a little more work to do for those spells but in general the vast majority of spells parse as is.

If I can improve the tool to make it more user friendly, I'd be happy to but I first need some feedback as to what you guys would like to see improved.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Honestly, its been a while since I tried it, so remembering what didn't work is kinda hard. But I think I had no idea what I was supposed to do in the first place. I think I tried to do what this gentleman's program here does. You point at a file and it just does the work. But I don't think that is the case. And the following steps... eh... "mind melted".

Vires Animi

Updated to output "spells.txt" to use with Par5E, fix a couple bugs, and put components in Summary field for now since components do not seem to part of the displayed spell record.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by valeros View Post
    Updated to output "spells.txt" to use with Par5E, fix a couple bugs, and put components in Summary field for now since components do not seem to part of the displayed spell record.
    Here's the structure being used by PAR5E for use with 5E (note you won't see some of the fields until JPG pushes the latest test build). If you mirror this Valeros, you will be set until Wizards release the PHB and we see whether the format has changed at all.

Code:
    <aid>
      <name type="string">Aid</name>
      <description type="formattedtext">
         <p>
           <b>Your spell bolsters your allies with toughness and resolve.</b>Choose up to three creatures within range. Each target's hit point maximum and current hit points increase by 5 for the duration.</p>
         <p>
         <b>At Higher Levels.</b>When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, a target's hit points increase by an additional 5 for each slot level above 2nd.</p>
      </description>
      <level type="number">2</level>
      <school type="string">Abjuration</school>
      <source type="string">Cleric</source>
      <castingtime type="string">1 action</castingtime>
      <range type="string">30 feet</range>
      <duration type="string">8 hours</duration>
      <components type="string">V, S, M (a tiny strip of white cloth)</components>
    </aid>
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

YAY! Thanks Valeros! Man, can I donate to this? I would.

Also, here's the PDF for Items and Monsters from the new hardcover adventure Horde of the Dragon Queen. Hint! Hint!

https://media.wizards.com/2014/downl...upplement1.pdf

This is official and free, FYI.

Please take questions and discussions about Par5E to the Par5E thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Project-Par5e

This thread is for Valeros's excellent took to create a spell module from the D&D Basic Rules PDF.

I've moved all Par5E related posts to the above thread. Thanks.
    Last edited by Trenloe; August 11th, 2014 at 00:50.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Doesn't seem to be working for me. When I press the button I get an exception error with the following details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices.IAsyncStateMachin e' from assembly 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.
    at PDFReader.Form1.ShowFileDialog()
    at PDFReader.Form1.selectFileButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1022 (RTMGDR.030319-1000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    PDFReader
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/RPG%20Books/D%26D%20Next/Basic%20Rules%20Parser.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1002 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1001 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1001 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Thread Information