FG Spreadshirt Swag

Nested links in exported modules

I recently completed converting a large module into Fantasy Grounds. I have exported to a module for later use. However, I seem to remember seeing somewhere that you can delete some of the story entries and only have them nested within other entries. Unfortunately, I have not been able to figure out how to do that yet. Can it be done or am I remembering incorrectly? Thanks

I don't think this is possible without editing the base module XML. If, through the GUI, you remove the story entries that you want to nest within other story entries you'll actually remove the whole entry.

The way I usually do nesting is move the entries that are going to be nested into a separate category tab - which keeps the entries valid but out of the way, then work off the entries in the main category tab with any nesting you need.
    Last edited by Trenloe; July 28th, 2014 at 20:33.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Technically, this is possible, but it will require a fair amount of manual XML manipulation. Also, you won't be able to re- export the module without doing the manual changes again.

Each link within the formatted text entries points to an XML path, and a window class. This defines which XML subtree to use as data for the window opened by the link. The window class defines which window to show (i.e. "Encounter" for story entries). So, technically these links can point anywhere in the module, and use any window type.

Most rulesets assume that all campaign story entries are stored in root.encounters (double check, in away from my machine). If the story entries are stored elsewhere (i.e. root.singles.encounters), then they will not show up in campaign encounters list or library. Then, they can be linked to from any formatted text link.

So, after exporting, you would need to move any story records you don't want displayed in campaign list to a different path in the module XML file, and then update any links to those records.

As an alternative approach, you could create a separate category tab for master entries vs. individual entries.

Regards,
    JPG

Thanks for the info. I'll probably just stick with the tabs.

Thread Information