STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Question on paying someone to parse information...

I'm seriously considering running a 5e game, however, (big however) I don't have the skills or patience with coding to do the parsing, would it be against the rules to pay someone to Parse things for me? And would anyone be interested in doing it for a reasonable rate. Mainly what I would need is the core books, and monsters, I can handle story entries etc once in FG. I would rather focus on the in game experience vrs the back end experience. The minimum I would need would be monsters and spells...

IF interested pm me price and time, for projects.

It's not the time or cost that is the issue - it's copyright.

Ahh but the way around that is I'm not paying for the product, which I already own, I'm paying for their time to make it usable for me... If it's trading money that's the issue I'd be willing to barter for gaming product... So that eliminates them making a profit off of it.

Blog Entries
    In the hey-days of shareware and before most people were connected to the Internet some people would distribute shareware software and charge you for the media and for compiling the collection and not the shareware itself. I dont know how this would go but if you did the parsing on the OPs computer via TeamViewer and using the OPs PDFs you should probably be ok doing this - but if you are transferring those files from one persons computer to another you would be in a very grey area. I am not a lawyer so dont take my response as anything other than my 5c worth...

I'm hoping very much that Wizards of the Coast and SmiteWorks comes to an agreement that at least the Basic D&D rules are able to made available with Fantasy Grounds much like 3.5/PathFinder's OGL set is. You can make use of the rules without parsing anything. It just means typing everything in, all the monsters, all the abilities, all the spells...on an as-needed basis of course. That's how I ran my first few 5E games...my first few 4E games...etc

It wasn't until 5E that I really started messing with parsing because I got tired of typing stuff in

I mean, It's always possible for someone to just create an automated script that will compile all the rules into a module.

Basically Parse, but it would apply the markups itself so all you have to do is run it and point it to the text file.

However unless every PDF is written the same every script would have to be different for every pdf.

Basically like the scripts that people write to make tokens, but for books

That's true, I assume maybe incorrectly that the basic rules would be the same format. Tbh, the only thing I could see as must haves for characters would be spells, as you can always switch them up. For gm only thing I would really like to have is monsters...

Ok. I'm going to take the plunge and do data entry for the monsters and such, can someone explain how to enter the attack and damage entries screen shots would be awesome!

Please and thank you!

The example in the DOC is actually very good for getting a baseline of what's needed for the PAR5Er.

Here's what one might look like:
    Code:

Raging Lizardman
    Medium Humanoid (lizardman)
    Armor Class 16 (natural, dex, shield)
    Hit Points 27 (4d8 + 8)
    Speed 30 ft.
    Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
    Str 14 (+2) Dex 14 (+2) Con 15 (+1)
    Int 9 (-1) Wis 10 (+0) Cha 7 (-2)
    Alignment chaotic evil
    Languages Common, Lizardfolk
    TRAITS
    Deadly: When the raging lizardman hits with a melee weapon attack, the attack deals 1d8 extra damage to the target (included in attack actions).
    Water Breathing: A lizardman can breath indefinitely underwater.
    ACTIONS
    Trident: Melee weapon attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d8+2) piercing damage.
    Javelin: Ranged weapon attack: +4 to hit, range 30 ft./120 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6+2) piercing damage.
    ENCOUNTER BUILDING
    Level 1 XP 200
    ##;
    He's part lizard, part man, and all angry.

No I mean hand typing into fg. Like under action, how do I create an attack, just seems to be a blank box.

Thread Information