DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Getting back into mapping, City battle map!

Let me know how you like the style and how everything is taking shape, this will be a large project and I've only done one block so far.

Most of the textures and objects used are from the dundjinni forums, CG textures, and other places around the net, I'm just here to put them in to place and make them look good

Above is one block, most of the blocks will end up filled out like this. I might still search through my files and look for more things to place, if you have any good ideas please share them.

This Link is the entire city, it's quite large so click the link to see the scale!

That will be the majority of the city, there are some outskirts, and it's a port so i need to add a dock and the ocean but this is around the size I decided on.

So, this will be my 2nd project after coming back to mapping, 1st one was just a small blacksmith. If your curious this was/is done with Photoshop.

Also, if you know any good places to get some battle map object let me know!

Nice looking map - thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by bdf1992 View Post
    Also, if you know any good places to get some battle map object let me know!
    If you aren't using it already, the CSUAC is a good resource: https://www.vintyri.org/CSUAC/
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I really like those buildings!

Quote Originally Posted by Irondrake View Post
    I really like those buildings!
    Thanks, there are 4 different sets here so it was difficult getting them to mesh well.

I still think I might need to make each on more unique OR make the darker one closer to the rest because that one sticks out a bit much and the two of similar style look too similar.

Blog Entries
    some cities are very homogenous and others are very contrasting... usually a homogenous looking city will be because of the availability (or lack of) building materials...
    keep them all different i think...
    most cities/towns will also have at least some straight thoroughfares too...

either way - the map looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    some cities are very homogenous and others are very contrasting... usually a homogenous looking city will be because of the availability (or lack of) building materials...
    keep them all different i think...
    most cities/towns will also have at least some straight thoroughfares too...

either way - the map looks great.
    Thanks! This is a recently new port, maybe only 10-15 Years...don't know the specific on building a city but it's suppose to be new.

A main street sounds like a good idea, I might make some wiggle room for it.

I'm currently taking a crack at making my own buildings since I'm gonna be needing quite a few and I don't want to use too much of other people work.
    This is the current building, textures from CG textures, and the smoke is a cloud brush

I have it templated so I can change any texture/colors/shadows on the fly.

Attachment 7048

Ok, so I found a better way to do grass, and that's in this image, and I made a new building!

Now I need to make maybe 9 more building templates and make 2 of each and go from there.

Blog Entries
    Shouldn't a city have cobblestone at least somewhere? Nice work so far though.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Depend on the kind of city.

Well, village this look much more like a village, lots and lots of green and space.

It all depend on the settings, and we don't have anything on it (well there's chimneys, so probably not medieval, but nothing beside that). A somewhat medieval or renaissance town or city will be cramped, with very little to no green, and an amount of dirty things that we can't even imagine nowadays (think Mexico City or rural India being the cleanest there is compared to those kinds of old towns). And very probably no cobblestone, it's extremely expensive to put in place and maintain. Plus, it's a bitch to ride when it's wet.

Took a crack at trees since I need more, they turned out ok I think.

The 5 Greens ones are the default templates and the colored ones are just random variations, I can make them any color I want.

Let me know which ones you like most and which ones you think could do with improvement!

Thread Information