5E Character Create Playlist

View Poll Results: Which character sheet window layout do you prefer as a 5E "player"?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single window, one tab per section

21 91.30%
  • Multi-window, one window per section

2 8.70%
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    I'm currently playing in a 5E intro game with Talen. I'm using a laptop with a fairly good screen (17 inch, full HD) and I am struggling with screen real estate with all of the multi windows. I didn't know about being able to drag the link to each character sheet page, which helps a little bit, but it's still not as quick to switch between pages as tabs would be.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Just did the same as Trenloe and while I like having the option to have every thing open, I can see people having problems with screenspace. I more or less used one of my 27' monitors just for the character sheet, which is excessive.

I am honestly in two minds. I do like it, but I can see how it can be cumbersome for others.

Vires Animi

Again, I'm not a player, but just to throw out my 2 cents anyway

To get to powers, you open a character sheet, then switch to the powers tab. To get to equipment, you open the character sheet, then switch to equipment. The assumption here is you are not keeping your character sheet open here.

With the multi-window, you want to see your powers, you press F1. You want to see equipment, press F2. The assumption here is you drug the powers link to to the F1 slot, the equipment link to the F2 slot, etc, etc.

If you keep your sheet open, then you're not saving any time with either sheet, its still one button either way...but to me, it seems quicker, and a way to save screen real-estate, by having multi-page sheets the way they are.

This is just my opinion and I'm honestly fine with however it ends up. It really does need to be how the players want it in the end.

Blog Entries
    After reviewing the feedback, we've taken the decision to revert the sheet back to a single multi-tabbed window. This should meet the community's majority preference. Moving forward we will continue to explore the possibility of introducing a hybrid window for CoreRPG rulesets which allows for sheets to be docked and undocked, thus providing a single codebase for the developers to maintain as well as providing optional charactersheet views for players.

Introducing said functionality will require some re-writes and as such we would prefer to focus on delivering a stable ruleset that meets the core ruleset requirements at this time. Once the dust has settled, you can expect the usual improvements to be introduced over time.

I just finished up, updating PAR5E to support all the new Basic Rules content; Backgrounds, Classes, Equipment (Gear, Armor, Weapons, Tools, Vehicles), Races, Spells and reference manual text are all in. Expect the usual drag/drop references to be updated to allow drag/drop to charsheets. We are also re-working the character creation wizard to handle Background Characteristics (Personality Traits,Bonds,Ideals,Flaws).
    Just working on Starter Set NPCs at the moment.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

You guys are awesome to solicit and accept this feedback.

I just hope you keep the graphic style of 5E. I dig it.

Vires Animi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by viresanimi View Post
    I just hope you keep the graphic style of 5E. I dig it.

Vires Animi
    Its staying as is (as far as I'm aware) that is unless we are successful in petitioning Wizards for a licensed rule set. In which case we might look to mirror the official style.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

After some more extensive playtime, the multi-sheets are become more accommodating as people get used to assigning them to the function keys. In fact, there was some hope amongst the players that even if it goes back to tabbed, that tabs can be assigned to function keys.

Regardless, there's a lot of approval and appreciation of what we've got already and even more excitement for the future.

Thread Information