Starfinder Playlist

Enabling Armor Modifiers Does Not Modify Skill Rolls...

As in the Title, enabling Armor Modifiers on the inventory tab does not result in modifications to skill rolls.

For example, if the "Skill Check" (ACP + encumbrance) is -2 and the checkbox is enabled, skill rolls should show base+mod-skillcheck.

Similarly, when ASF is non-zero, it would be nice if there would also be either an automatic spell failure roll on casting or maybe a printed note in the chat that ASF must be rolled, but the auto roll would be better.

Finally, "Max Stat" should ideally cap Dex-related bonuses.

Is it just that the "Enable Armor Modifiers" has not yet been hooked up or is there some other intended function of the related checkbox?

The skill roll won't report the ACP modifier. The ACP reduces the total in the skill field. For encumberance, I am pretty sure you would have to input the penalty to misc field, or use the scrolling temp mods since encumberance goes up and down when packs are dropped, etc.
    Last edited by Paul Pratt; July 8th, 2014 at 02:15.

OK - thanks - I see - my error. Glad to see that it's hooked up. I was expecting to see it as a separate modifier in the roll.

But, the implementation does not appear to be correct. It is not applying the ACP to skills with 0 or negative modifiers (or modding beyond 0). For example, if a Fighter with 7 Charisma and -2 on Bluff has an ACP of -2, the resulting skill value is not -4 (still at -2), and it should be.

Also, I checked Max Stat and it looks like it does cap (I checked DEX/AC) - so, great. Also, I think I previously discussed the Arcane Spell Failure rolls in a different thread, but it would still be nice to have some indication that one is required even if there is no auto-roll. There are too many details to remember during active battle and things tend to get lost.
    Last edited by HoloGnome; July 8th, 2014 at 02:23.

Quote Originally Posted by HoloGnome View Post
    But, the implementation does not appear to be correct. It is not applying the ACP to skills with 0 or negative modifiers (or modding beyond 0). For example, if a Fighter with 7 Charisma and -2 on Bluff has an ACP of -2, the resulting skill value is not -4 (still at -2), and it should be.
    ACP doesn't apply to bluff, only specific DEX and STR based skills. FG indicates the skills that ACP will be applied to with the little shield graphic to the left of the rank entry on each skill.

As far as I can tell the implementation is correct - even for negative modifiers.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks, Trenloe - that really helps! I went back and confirmed that all the skills on the character I was looking at adjust correctly, including swim at 2x ACP. Sorry - it was my error/red herring. There are still things in 3.5 that I am adjusting to vs. 1E/2E.

And...aha! So that's what those little symbols are for on the skills page (kind of look like blobs unless you know what they are ;-) ). I would suggest a tool-tip and maybe color change. Make them reddish and add a tool-tip that says "Armor Check Penalty Applies". (or something similar) It might help make the interface a little easier to understand.

In terms of the 3.5 rules, I'm surprised that there is no ACP for disguise or ride checks. Also, all the penalties make me wonder why there are no AC bonuses for skills like intimidate. Maybe I will House Rule that one!

Thread Information