5E Character Create Playlist
Page 3 of 8 First 12345 ... Last

Thread: Dice features

OK, a couple of things:

First: Definitions - call me stupid (or maybe the coffee hasn't kicked in yet) but I think it would be helpful for someone (& I'm looking at you Moon ) to actually clearly define what is meant by the terms that we are throwing around - WITH examples. I'm talking about the terms "exploding", "compounding", etc, etc, etc.

I think I can follow things, but I'm not too sure - and if there's one person like this willing to speak up then you can be sure there are at least 10 who aren't.

Second: you could use "^" and "v" for sort ascending and descending, respectively.

Third: You could change/add to a die field to do a string interpretation of what you wanted to roll ie record the roll as a string and then parse the string to produce the result. This would allow for relatively easy modification of the "string die" interpretation code to expand the system at a later date, if required. I don't know how to keep this backwards compatible - maybe the first cell of the diefield array could use a special character or sequence of characters to signify a "string die" that the original diefield code will ignore?

Forth: Red for rerolls actually makes sense, since it is being discarded. As far as other colours are concerned, I think you should make the decision and I believe we'll accept it - we do that for the Radial Menu Button and Category Ribbon Icons, so why not for this - FG belongs to SW, after all. For my own sake, as long as the colours are contrasting enough (see the rules on Heraldry, for example) and make some sort of logical sense, then I'd be OK with it.

Fifth: Instead of using "1" for success and "0" for failure, could you put up a "S" or an "F", followed by a number to indicate degree of success or failure. You could extend this to x[S,F]y for multiple successes failures (not at the same time, obviously) with y=the largest margin eg 3S7 = three successes with the largest margin of success being 7.

Sixth: For displaying on a UI diefield, you could use a small widget with the corresponding die phrase code (eg a "e" for exploding). Having said this, I'm not so sure you need to display this type of info - I mean, everyone who plays a given RPG knows how their die mechanic works, so it this necessary?

OK, enough for now

Cheers
    Last edited by dulux-oz; June 28th, 2014 at 06:00.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

On the Drop dice or Keep dice, is it specified to drop the highest or lowest? Rolling stats, 4d6 drop the lowest... or Advantage in 5E, 2d20 keep highest...etc?

Irondrake,
    There will be keep high/low and drop high/low. The default for keep is high, and the default for drop is low.

Dulux-Oz,

1) Compounding is when the multiple dice triggered by a die mechanic (exploding, open-ended low, etc.) are summed together into a single die icon, instead of shown as separate die icons for every triggered die.

2) Interesting suggestions, I might use those.

3) I don't think I want to encode the dice notation formatting into the database. What if the dice notation needs to change, or the notation expands through features in the ruleset? The idea of some sort of leading character is an interesting idea, but not sure I want to go there yet. This needs more thought and usage feedback, which is why I might wait.

4) I've actually been using grayed out for rerolls (see pictures above) which seems to be common among dice rollers that drop dice. I'll probably just pick something as you say.

5) I can't tell if we're talking about same thing here. Success is a value of 1, Failure is a value of -1, and if not success/fail then value is 0. This is common in some game systems like World of Darkness (Vampire, etc.) and Shadowrun.

6) As above, I'll probably wait on this, since I feel that it's too ambiguous at this point.

7) Thanks for the feedback.

JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Compounding is when the multiple dice triggered by a die mechanic (exploding, open-ended low, etc.) are summed together into a single die icon, instead of shown as separate die icons for every triggered die.
    OK, but what is meant by "exploding", "open-ended low" (& I assume there's a corresponding "open-ended high"?) and the others as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.
    You're welcome - as always

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

An exploding die denotes a die that when a certain range is rolled, another die of the same type is rolled and added to the roll.

An open-ended low roll is essentially the reverse. When the range is rolled on an open-ended low die, another die of same type is rolled and subtracted from the roll. If the open-ended low die can continue to explode low, then range is typically reversed.

Exploding == open-ended high

Role master open-ended rolls are a perfect example of both these mechanics. If a 96-100 is rolled, then roll again and add the result; and continue rolling and adding as long as you get 96-100. If a 1-5 is rolled, then roll again and subtract the result; and continue rolling and subtracting as long as you get 96-100.

Regards,
    JPG

OK, so let me put this in my own words to make sure I got it right:

An example of an exploding die is a Shadowrun v3 die - on 1d6 if you roll a "6" (the range) you then roll another 1d6 and add that to the total, and keep going until you fail to roll a "6". (BTW I always knew these as "open-ended" rolls)

A compounding die is the same as an exploding die, but you only see one die icon in the Chat box, not all of the die that go into the total.

Is that right?

Oh, and another suggestion - a way of rolling a Warhammer-d66: just like a d100, only the ranges are 11-16,21-26,31-36,etc. If it was written right, you could substitute any die (ie Warhammer-dXX) - maybe use a wd66 nomenclature.

Thanks for indulging my ignorance

Cheers
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Blog Entries
    Well, walked right into that one.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    call me stupid
    ok.
    stupid.
    There's always one!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Well, walked right into that one.
    And sometimes two!
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

That's great news. This is The essential feature for RPG, and it was seriously lacking in FG.

One thing though. Is this backend or frontend? Ir this something that would have to be accessed through LUA by the ruleset, or could it be used directly by a client (GM or player)? If it's frontend, it needs something seriously more user friendly to be used.

Since we usually are in a campaign paradigm, it would need some kind of alias system. If I play Vampire Masquerade, I don't need access to d20 mechanics, to roll&keep mechanics, to Rolemaster mechanics, etc. Maybe some way to describe the current dice system, like in JPG's posts, that would leave out variables. Those variables would be called by /die or displayed in the graphic dice launching system. Again with Masquerade, there's three variables: # of dices, target, and explode or not explode. If FG “sees” this from the complex dice formula, it should be able to know to expect three variables in /dice (like here /dice 6 7 r for example for 6d10 target 7 with ten rerolls) and what to output (number of success, maybe kind of success/failure). Always keeping the basic dice system activated with it though, sometimes any GM might need 1d4 thugs, 1d8-1 days, or a 1d100+20 table.

Thread Information