5E Character Create Playlist
    Blog Entries

5e Ruleset hopes

So, the new version is the first DnD version since AD&D I have honestly shown any interest in and I am really looking forward to it's release . I am curious if it'll get the full 4e ruleset treatment in Fantasy Grounds . . . in other words, an extremely robustly featured and functional ruleset, minus the data of course?
    Last edited by GunnarGreybeard; June 29th, 2014 at 06:12.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Timezone: UTC-6/CST (My 'Current' Local Time)
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

As far as I am aware, the 5E ruleset has roughly the same set of features of 4E (based on October play test material). Is there something specific you feel is missing that is 5E specific?

Regards,
    JPG

One thing that might be nice to have: when a monster is dragged onto the combat tracker, its hit points are rolled randomly. Perhaps as an option if DMs want the base HP. So an ochre jelly (6d10+12) hp can have that rolled as it is dragged onto the CT instead of getting the base 45 hp - like initiative is done.

This was mentioned in another thread, and its something that I think Moon will look at a little later. 5E is based on the Core RPG set which doesn't use the same Hit Dice feature I understand...so random Hit Point rolling for NPCs wasn't built in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondrake View Post
    This was mentioned in another thread, and its something that I think Moon will look at a little later. 5E is based on the Core RPG set which doesn't use the same Hit Dice feature I understand...so random Hit Point rolling for NPCs wasn't built in.
    C&C is a CoreRPG ruleset and we have the option to have average or random or max hitpoints for npc's....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    Is there something specific you feel is missing that is 5E specific?
    Nothing off the top of my head. Just hoping that once the final rules are released, the 5e ruleset gets updated/revised as needed. I love the extent of the 4e ruleset functionality (pathfinder too), just not personally a fan of those 2 systems and looking forward to seeing that kind of attention come to 5e.
    FG:Unity Ultimate License Holder: Meaning anyone can join my games, even those with just the Demo . . .
    Currently Running: An Old-School Essentials campaign, set in Hârn . . . Here is the discord channel -> Hârnic OSE.
    Current Design Project: Developing a stand-alone "Hârnic 5e" setting for OSE and Fifth Edition . . .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnarGreybeard View Post
    Nothing off the top of my head. Just hoping that once the final rules are released, the 5e ruleset gets updated/revised as needed. I love the extent of the 4e ruleset functionality (pathfinder too), just not personally a fan of those 2 systems and looking forward to seeing that kind of attention come to 5e.
    I think JPG is telling you that this is a full featured ruleset and will get all the bells and whistles
    I think major dev is paused right now until the actual rules get released so as not to waste resources on things that turn out to be different in the final product.

Very very soon. The character creation rules are going to be out on July 3rd. Some people have already started receiving their Starter sets. I'm not one of them :/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    I think JPG is telling you that this is a full featured ruleset and will get all the bells and whistles
    Yeah, that's what I'm expecting, just wanted to chime in on it. I'm really likely the ability to add the tables.

Blog Entries
    With the new layered ruleset approach all NEW ruleset functionality that gets introduced into CoreRPG should auto-appear under 5E (unless deliberately disabled). Also given that JPG, Doug, Trenloe, myself and other community members all actively play D&D (and plan to play 5E) as well as actively develop for the rulesets you can be assured the 5E ruleset will be loved as much (if not more) than 4E.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Thread Information