Starfinder Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Rappan Athuk Reloaded - DnD 3.5 - Sword and Sorcery

First Post updated 8/20/14

Hello all! I am currently making these maps for my own campaign to do with my group in the future, and I thought, 'why not post it for others as well?' So here I am.
    I will be updating this first post with all the links to the maps. If you have any questions at all, you can feel free to ask the questions and I will get to them as soon as possible.

These maps are intended to be used in conjunction with Rappan Athuk Reloaded by Sword and Sorcery.
    You can purchase the campaign here.

Keep in mind, these maps are quite large and will take a minute or two for them to load for your players.

Maps:
    Ground Level
    Ground Level Player Overview
    Ground Level Section Overview
    Ground Level Section 1
    Ground Level Section 2
    Ground Level Section 3
    Ground Level Section 4
    Ground Level Section 5
    Ground Level Section 6

Level 1
    Level 1 Section Overview
    Level 1.1
    Level 1.2
    Level 1.3

Level 2
    Level 2 Section Overview
    Level 2.1
    Level 2.2
    Level 2.3
    Level 2.4
    Level 2.5

Level 3
    Level 3 Section Overview
    Level 3.1
    Level 3.2
    Level 3.3

FAQ:

Q: What symbols do you use?

A: Some of the materials I use are made directly by myself, however most of my prop images are from the Dundjinni community. This is a community of tabletop players who have created materials for the use of making maps.

Q: Will you be making a map for the Wilderness?

A: No, I will not be posting any images of "The Wilderness" map, as it will have not been made by me. I suggest googling a color version of the map for your players to have a map of the surrounding wilderness of Rappan Athuk, as the map that comes with the campaign itself really gives much away due to it numbering everything and it being in black and white...

Q: What pixel size should I set my grid to in Fantasy Grounds?

A: If you set your grid to 40, you will have the exact size grid needed, and may need to just adjust the pan of the grid unless otherwise noted.

Q: My Fantasy grounds moves extremely slow when trying to mask these large maps.

A: I had noticed this issue and have started to make sectional maps with overviews for the DM. There are a few that are still large, but they are significantly smaller than the others and should provide a much faster gameplay than the large full maps.

Q: I have some suggestions for you! How can I reach you?

A: I suggest using this board to give your suggestion. PMs are nice, but maybe someone else has the same question or idea, and I'd like to be able to address questions here. Major questions will be answered both in a post and here on the FAQ. Quick easy answers will be answered as a reply only.
    Last edited by krag; August 20th, 2014 at 15:08.

Sharing any maps you make would be really cool. Just be careful if you use copyright protected content (symbols, etc.) as you shouldn't share material created with those. Some symbols available for download however do allow distribution of maps made with them - it all depends on the symbols and the publisher/provider.

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing some Rappan Athuk maps - that would be cool!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The items (tables, torches, ect.) I would use i got a while back and are made by a community where they freely allow each other to use them, so they are allowed to use in projects with no problems.
    Last edited by krag; June 6th, 2014 at 17:31.

Quote Originally Posted by krag View Post
    The items (tables, torches, ect.) I would use i got a while back and are made by a community where they freely allow each other to use them, not to add I have no intention of making money off it.
    That's cool.

Just as an FYI - not charging money for something you produce does not release the burden of adhering to copyright on the materials you use. However, most community use agreements allow the use of material if it is not sold; however it can get quite complex depending on the particular use agreement. But the best way is what it sounds like you plan to do - use only community material and don't charge for anything you produce.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Here is what I have done so far on the first level. There's a lot of material before level 1, so I started in a wonky area, but it'll get you an idea of how I intend to distribute everything on the maps. The images are going to be quite large, which kinda sucks, but it's necessary as Rappan Athuk is literally "huge".

If others want to jump in and do different levels so this goes faster, that'd be really cool. I'm doing a grid system of 40x40 with 300 px/sq. in. I count how many 5ft squares the map in the books are, add 10-15 more, than times that by 40 to find out the total pixel width and height. That way everything is evenly on the 40x40 grid, and the image sits VERY well in Fantasy Grounds.

For materials, I have about 1GB of textures and patterns for photoshop, some of them were created by myself, the "decor" is mostly community produced for use in RPG elements.

Here is level 1 of Rappan Athuk, halfway done (top half of map completed):
    https://i.imgur.com/rwl9vGk.jpg

Let me know what you think, and what I should look into with making it better. I'll see what ideas I can actually incorporate with my skillsets.

Looking good!

I finished Level 1. I found my Level 2 that I had done before, but it's not as nice looking as the level 1 is, so I'm going to redo it. Thankfully I can just copy over it's old textures with new ones. But before that I am going to do the ground level with the mausoleum, because you can't have a Level 1 without going through that first. It's much larger and will take more time to complete however.

Very nice!!!

Looking forward to more...

I guess I'll necro-post my own thread... Sorry it's taken so long to get the ground level finished, it's quite large, and there are a lot of tedious grave sites that I had to place one by one. I'll be working on level 2 next.

The Ground level map has been updated in post #1

To answer any random questions, no, I will not be posting any images of "The Wilderness" map, as it will have not been made by me. I suggest googling a color version of the map for your players to have a map of the surrounding wilderness of Rappan Athuk, as the map that comes with the campaign itself really gives much away due to it numbering everything and it being in black and white...

---------------------------------

7/22/14

Editing to not double post

Level 2 has been finished, and I imagine I'll be changing the mapping style. I looked around at other mappers of the community and I can see that most of them have realistic looking maps instead of maps that look like... maps. So I'll try to emulate this style from now on. I'll be taking about a week off from making these maps, so if you support the idea of the change or if you don't support the change, please let me know, so that I'll be more sure about my decision in future maps.

What other maps for Rappan Athuk are you guys interested in other than what is naturally going to be made? (a town outside the reaches of the wilderness?) let me know.
    Last edited by krag; July 22nd, 2014 at 14:33.

Thread Information