5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

Journal Prototype

Last Update: June 3, 2014

As part of another thread discussion, several members of the forums talked about how records are organized (tabs vs. buttons for Encounters/Parcels, jumping between windows, ability to add new record types easily, etc.).

One of the concepts that came up was the concept of a master journal that could be used to view/access multiple record types quickly. Sort of a one stop shop for campaign data. I have been seriously considering adding something like this to the next version of FG (after v3.0.4). However, one of the challenges I'm seeing is that everyone has a different idea of what the interface should look like.

I've found the best way to find out is to build a prototype, and gather feedback. So, here's a prototype that should work with any CoreRPG-derived ruleset.

Please note, I'm not trying to re-invent everything to do with campaign data management, just accessibility.

Future considerations/discussion topics:
    • Thinking about adding ability to toggle journal entries on/off in Journal screen for quicker access on sidebar. Journal button would always be available.
    • Not sure if PC data should be in Journal. It's sort of a special case. It always is a primary data type, and has a unique list interface for imports which would be hard to integrate.
    • Given this interface, do you think it still makes sense to double up buttons on sidebar?
    • Thinking this could be used to define new record types for any given ruleset (such as Locations database extension, Spells for PFRPG, Powers for 4E, etc.) that could be managed within a campaign and exported. There will need to be more iteration of this code to make it simpler, but it would be pretty straightforward to add with what I have.
    • Thinking about moving library into Journal as well. It's a special case also, but I think it might be worth it. Books on lower left, Topics on lower right. Then, we don't need both buttons on bar, and I think there are synergies long term we can take advantage of.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
    JPG
    Last edited by Moon Wizard; June 3rd, 2014 at 08:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    So, here's a prototype that should work with any CoreRPG-derived ruleset.
    Slightly off topic, but I cannot make this work with 4E, nor with SW4 which is CoreRPG-derived ruleset. I can only use this with CoreRPG ruleset itself. Is this expected feature?
    I like this idea very much, but would not replace current campaign data management with it, but it's good addon, especially if it could be extended easily to support different types.
    "Alright, you primitive screwheads, listen up: THIS... is my BOOMSTICK!" -- Ash Williams, Army of Darkness

Post your SavageWorlds ruleset feature requests and issue reports here!

I wouldn't be implementing and maintaining as a separate add-on. This is meant to be new functionality to integrate with the sidebar and library.

Updated attachment with version that does not limit which ruleset it loads with. It still may not work with rulesets not derived from CoreRPG.

Given that I don't see how we'd lose any functionality, why would you say that it shouldn't replace current campaign management windows?

Regards,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    I dont mind it at all...

some feedback -
    1. If possible when resizing the top section should not also get larger and add whitespace if all objects are already showing?
    2. losing groupings of story/npcs/images etc would be a blow...
    3. It needs to look as good as Zeus's version! although you have used different top levels - that book just rocks

1. I'll see what I can do, though it will probably be based on a maximum height rather than number of records.
    2. Are you talking about the category tabs? I just haven't implemented yet.
    3. I will be hitting up Zeus for graphics.

Cheers,
    JPG

Blog Entries
    1. I understand - I thought that might be the case.
    2. It would be a big back step if it didnt have category tabs...
    3. Of course!

I was a fan of the older tab layout rather than the buttons. But, I don't mind this setup. It is very usable, but I don't think it is necessarily an improvement.
    I love the continuing evolution of FG!
    Last edited by biomage; June 5th, 2014 at 17:39.

It's looking good for a prototype. I can definitely see some use for this especially during prep. Just open the current story item I am working on and have the journal open along side for dragging in links. I would send less time trying to track down the appropriate window for the link I need at the time.

I do agree with damned about not needing the top section to increase when increasing the window.

Could someone please PM me this extension - IE won't parse the php file and using another browser is not an option - thanks.

If anyone know why IE won't parse the php file then please, let me know so I can get the damn thing fixed - again, thanks.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Thread Information