FG Spreadshirt Swag

modified existing fantasy font ext; looking for sharing guidelines

hi.

i am not up-to-speed with copyright and re-use / re-purpose community-created extensions. i certainly do not want to infringe / violate any either.

i modified an existing extension: expanded language fonts

i had intended to keep it private and use this modified version for campaigns i gm, but think it would be really cool to for any table to enhance the rp'ing aspect of fantasy languages.

i didn't like the fonts that are set in current extension, plus i wanted to add more (mostly pathfinder ones - see image), so i looked for others fonts that i thought visually better represented the list that i currently use.

what i did:
    - downloaded all fonts from the internet that i thought would be considered public domain
    - i did not convert any font to .fgf format
    - rather, repurposed the "ttf" directory to house and reference fonts from there using, e.g.: <ttf file="ttf-fonts/Elvish.ttf" name="Elvish" size="18" />
    - adjusted each font size so that they all appear uniformly similar size in chat (see image)
    - repackaged, clear out all languages from db.xml, then reload fg

i'm really happy with result, and as i said would like to share it here. however, instead of scouring fg forum and learning about all the nuances of copyright, can someone tell me if what i did is enough -- satisfied copyright guidelines -- for sharing to the fg community, or what other steps do i need to take? or is it even allowed to share modified extension created by someone else?

thanks.

my updated list

few examples

Attached Images Attached Images
    -----
    roll dice. it builds character.

Blog Entries
    There is generally only two things you need to do.

- Ask the original extension author if you can fork/use their code (Trenloe I think always gives such permission when someone asks). Then credit them in your post/extension.
    - And second, make sure what you are using/sharing you have licence to share. In this case it's the font. Just make sure it is public domain or otherwise open to use and share. You said you think it's public domain, but not sure why you think that (some people think anything not marked that they find on the internet is public domain). If uncertain, ask someone else if they can verify and link to where you found the font and I suspect someone will help confirm.

Thanks for being conscientious of IP and for wanting to share your creation with us

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    You said you think it's public domain, but not sure why you think that (some people think anything not marked that they find on the internet is public domain). If uncertain, ask someone else if they can verify and link to where you found the font and I suspect someone will help confirm.
    this is a good question: as we all know, what we find on the internet for download may not always be legit. fonts are in this category. i tried to stay clear of questionable sites and only visit those listed on the first page results of google search. even this, i am always uncertain of infringement when it comes to fonts. i work with fonts a lot professionally. there are free fonts that have been "re-cut" from originals and served up on the internet. this is my biggest hesitation.
    -----
    roll dice. it builds character.

Thread Information