DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Cold Iron damage type

There is currently an issue with the FG 3.0.3 3.5e and PFRPG rulesets where "cold iron" damage type is being seen as "cold" and "iron" which can screw cold iron DR up and can also make cold energy resistance be applied to cold iron damage. A fix has been requested, but it is not clear when that will be made as it is not an easy fix.

In the meantime, if as a GM, anyone wants to make the manual changes in NPC and PC records to use "coldiron" instead of "cold iron" then they can use the attached extension for the 3.5E and PFRPG ruleset that adds coldiron as a recognised damage type:
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 20th, 2014 at 00:19.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks!

Note: this could be a very short lived extension. A fix for "cold iron" is in 3.0.4 test.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks anyway. I'll get use out of it in the meantime.
    A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, stab it in the back.

This doesn't appear to be working in 3.0.4. I place a character and a Babau in the combat tracker, drag them to the map and start a combat. The character does not have a cold iron weapon, should I expect to see DR applied automatically when his damage is rolled? Because I'm not. In my estimation this shouldn't even be a cold iron issue, since Babau also has DR/good. It appears that all of the Babau's defenses were parsed correctly. This was with no extensions loaded.

I've managed to get it working a few times, but I haven't been able to isolate exactly which change I made to the Babau to make it start working. It seems to be some combination of syntax and cycling through initiative order? I'm confused, any insight would be appreciated.

EDIT: No extensions installed BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by darrenan View Post
    This doesn't appear to be working in 3.0.4. I place a character and a Babau in the combat tracker, drag them to the map and start a combat. The character does not have a cold iron weapon, should I expect to see DR applied automatically when his damage is rolled? Because I'm not. In my estimation this shouldn't even be a cold iron issue, since Babau also has DR/good. It appears that all of the Babau's defenses were parsed correctly. This was with no extensions loaded.
    It's the "or" clause that is breaking it. "cold iron" on its own will work fine, but if there is any "or" clause in DR it appears to break any DR.

I think this issue goes back to the way DR is listed in the bestiary module for this creature (and presumably others, I haven't checked other entries just yet), or possibly the parsing code that turns the information on the NPC sheet into an effect in the combat tracker.

In the library, Babau is listed as having "DR 10/cold iron or good" in its SQ field. When dragged to the combat tracker, this is parsed into the following effect: "DR: 10 cold iron or good", which does not work. It doesn't appear that 'or' is a valid separator there, only comma is. If I change the effect to "DR: 10 cold iron, good" then resistance is applied (I still haven't verified that cold iron and good weapons bypass it correctly, that was next on my to do list).

So, is the issue with the format in the library, or in the code that creates the effect?

EDIT: Oh, beat me to the punch ;-)

And it's only the effect that makes any difference right? The text in the "Special" field under defenses in the combat tracker is purely informational? That's my assumption at this point.

I can get cold iron OR good to work, but I can't figure out a way to have it correctly apply both. Here's what I did:

1. Add two daggers to my character, made one cold iron and the other good (by putting those keywords into the "Type" field under damage).
    2. On the Babau, I tried "DR: 10 good;", "DR: 10 cold iron;", "DR: 10 cold iron, good;" and "DR: 10 cold iron; DR: 10 good;". The first two worked correctly in that one of my daggers bypassed DR and the other didn't. With the second two, neither of my daggers bypassed DR.

Thread Information