DICE PACKS BUNDLE

How do you use DR in FG ?

Hi,

I'm trying to create a few effects and magic weapons for my characters, but i have a problem with DR.
    I m not sure how it works, and how FG handles it.

For example; one of my characters is a magus. With his Arcane Pool ability at 1st level, a magus can expend 1 point from his arcane pool to grant any weapon he is holding a +1 enhancement bonus for 1 minute. For every four levels beyond 1st, the weapon gains another +1 enhancement bonus. These bonuses can be added to the weapon, stacking with existing weapon enhancement to a maximum of +5.

I read somewhere that a DR 5/ cold iron can be cancelled by a +3 magic weapon.

So my question is, how do you do that in FG, if the character is a magus using his arcane pool with a +2 sword ?

When the Magus activates their arcane pool to make the weapon they are using +3 add the "cold iron, silver" Dmg Type to your weapon in the actions tab. Press the magnifying glass icon after the damage entry of the weapon to show the weapon editing fields.

Note: you could usually apply a DMGTYPE effect to the PC with a duration, which would actually be the better way of doing it so that it expires. However, there is currently (FG 3.0.3) an issue with "cold iron" being seen as cold and iron so DR (and energy resistance) do not work correctly. When this is fixed you can use the: DMGTYPE: cold iron, silver effect to the PC for the duration of the ability.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Oki thank you again Trenloe

I thought that FG was able to autocratically cancel the DR, when an enhancement bonus was big enough.

I mean a +3 bonus should cancel a DR / cold iron, silver
    a +4 bonus should cancel a DR/ adamantine etc...

by the way, do i need to add DMGTYPE: magic for magic weapons ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eternall View Post
    Oki thank you again Trenloe

I thought that FG was able to autocratically cancel the DR, when an enhancement bonus was big enough.

I mean a +3 bonus should cancel a DR / cold iron, silver
    a +4 bonus should cancel a DR/ adamantine etc...
    There is only the "bonus"within the FG weapon linked entry (the extra info window) that says "this is a +X weapon", but this is only specifically applied to the actual weapon action entry in the actions tab when the weapon is dragged to the tab, if you change "bonus" afterwards it does not adjust the weapon entry - so there is no easy way to check what the actual bonus is and apply the damage type as needed, hence there is no such code in the ruleset.

So, the best way is to add the damage types that the relevant weapon uses. For a +3 weapon add: magic, cold iron, silver - plus whatever base type the weapon is, e.g. slashing for a sword. So a +3 longsword would have: slashing, magic, cold iron, silver

Quote Originally Posted by Eternall View Post
    by the way, do i need to add DMGTYPE: magic for magic weapons ?
    If it is a permanent enchantment the best way is to add magic to the damage type in the weapon entry. Don't use an effect as this could get removed at some point, or you could just end up with effect overload in the combat tracker and you can't work out what is what. Also, the DMGTYPE effect when added to the combat tracker applies to all damage rolled - so this could cause issues with different weapons unless all of the creature's weapons were magical.
    Last edited by Trenloe; May 16th, 2014 at 17:42.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information