DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    What is a Steam popup?
    When you first open steam, steam will load a popup window featuring any latest updates to a program or a new game. This is also included on the FEATURED games on the front window of steam on the store. (it cycles the latest games or those with new features).
    I've seen games do the "FREE Weekend of Civ V" or "FREE Weekend of Left 4 Dead"...
    This will show on both Website (non-popup) but on the rotating marquee, and on the Steam App both popup and rotating marquee. Good advertising.
    ULTIMATE License GM

IVE BEEN HERE FOREVER!

Traveller, C&C, Cypher System!

AKA: ☆𝟚𝟠𝕞𝕞ℝℙ𝔾☆ Youtube

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Other than the organised PFS games we don't specify any slot times to GMs. We recommend GMs look at the currently booked events and work their game in around those (overlapping 2 games is the worst as this reduces the games the players can go to). As we have GMs all over the world and GMs who run different length games, we don't think it is a good idea to have hard-fast slot times so it remains up to the GMs when they book their event. I don't see this changing.
    This is what I was suggesting I guess, that GMs, in general, try and pay more attention to the dynamic of the overall Con... at least the ones who are running multiple games and are heavily involved. Obviously those who only have specific slots that they CAN run in will only and should only run in those times.. but if they have some leeway then certainly some planning based on selecting lower volume times slots would be a good thing for creating more game availability.

I wonder if, from the statistics we do have, we could determine any sort of saturation point for different times. Personally, I had an almost completely full Con run. I played in 5 games and ran 3 (All of them Full.. but 1 no show due to schedule confusion), if one of the GMs hadn't been in a car accident I would have played in one more! (Hopefully she's doing better) and obviously there were plenty of games for me to choose from but I did register early. I moved the game I had scheduled for Thursday Afternoon (US Eastern Time) to Sunday Night because of low player availability (BTW, there was LOTS of interest in Sunday Night and I was the only game on the Schedule) ... although I did have players who signed up and then dropped for the Thursday Slot.

Would it be generally 'good' for us to talk about game slots in the terms we were using for PFS? Slot 1 - 4? At least then we are all talking the same language when we refer to these things.

I guess there is the question of WERE all the games on Saturday for Slots 3 and 4 full? If they were.. we should have scheduled MORE games in those slots! If they weren't.. then less... kinda like that.
    Slot 1 Slot 2 Slot 3 Slot 4
    Primetime Australia Primetime Australia
    Primetime UK Primetime UK
    Primetime US Primetime US
    Last edited by Blackfoot; June 1st, 2014 at 19:36.
    Full License Operator - You must have a 'Lite' License to play in my games.
    Member and GM in the Fantasy Grounds Pathfinder Society Group.
    PFS Fantasy Grounds Forum
    FG Community Teamspeak Server: ts.fg-con.com
    Interested in Custom Character Portraits and Tokens? Contact me.

We've always deliberately shied away from using time slots for general games as we don't want to restrict GMs into a structure that doesn't work for them with their session plans for their game (session length) and for their timezone. GMs should want to run a game how they want to, rather than feel shoe-horned into a rigid structure.

For the next convention it will more than likely be that events will be entered by con admins - GMs will fill out a few fields in a form and submit them to the con admins. For later event submissions the con admins can look at the current schedules and have a dialogue with the GM to make suggestions on minor time changes. We will also consider posting some recommendations on the event submission form to suggest times for the GM to select for their event.

Other than that, we don't want this to be too complex and too restrictive for GMs. We rely on the volunteer GMs to make the convention - with a big increase in those turning out to run games in FG Con IV, we don't want to jeopardise that...

There will always be events that don't fill up for whatever reason and there will always be popular time slots. We can roughly predict both but will never truly know until the actual convention. If we start adding events at popular times or changing event times close to the convention we run the risk of players cancelling one session and moving to another - we saw this at FG Con IV and it resulted in at least one session that I am aware of being cancelled.

We'll see what FG Con V brings, keep monitoring how things go and check feedback from the community - which can be very fickle once the rubber hits the road!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Blog Entries
    Because PFS has so many tables and because many players (and GMs) are involved in multiple sessions the set times works really well. Im sure there are some players and GMs though who might have to do some adjusting to RL to fit those table slots. There is no way to accomodate everyones needs perfectly.

As part of the organising team and wanting things to be organised I truly do see the value in the fixed timeslots but just as much I see the medium (internet + fantasy grounds + worldwide participant pool) lending itself to people being able to schedule games into the slot that best suits them. If people schedule a session at a time that doesnt attract players then they have an opportunity to reschedule the event.

Without players we have no FG Con. But before we have players we need GMs so my preference is to make it as flexible for the GM as possible firstly and then for the players

That doesnt mean we are not listening to all of your comments and feedback

There are definitely times that are more attractive to both GMs and Players. We could include that info on the GM Event registration forms as a guide. With more games being run we did have much better coverage around the clock especially once we got into Saturday.

Blog Entries
    Really.. that's what I'm trying to say.. if we can make use of the statistics we can gather from the last Con to better inform GMs as to when are the best times to schedule games... that'd be great.

Also agreed that GMs need to schedule slots when they can, but if they CAN work with a loose schedule ... that too will improve the amount of overlap between games. We know that the more slots a game overlaps, the more games that will not be accessible to the players who play in it. As coordinators it is our obligation to give the GMs as much information as possible so they can make the best decisions they can about when to schedule their slots, obviously after that point it is up to them.
    Last edited by Blackfoot; June 2nd, 2014 at 05:19.

I ran a very niche game and was delighted that I had a couple of players.
    To quote The Knights of the Dinner Table: 'The Game Must Go On'
    What I was wondering about was this: Is there any mileage in having a specific mini-con for non Fantasy genre games -maybe an SF weekend?
    Borusa32

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by borusa32 View Post
    I ran a very niche game and was delighted that I had a couple of players.
    To quote The Knights of the Dinner Table: 'The Game Must Go On'
    What I was wondering about was this: Is there any mileage in having a specific mini-con for non Fantasy genre games -maybe an SF weekend?
    Hey borusa32 - i think the idea has merit but by the same token if we are running an event we may as well run everything... i know that it feels like the PFS stuff crowds everything else out but in reality PFS was approx 40% of the sessions so there were still a lot of other things going on. We had 49 sessions published at one point but I think only 41 went ahead. I think we will crack 50 sessions at GF Con 5 and I would love to see more of the niche games being run. I see a lot of the new players are looking for games other than Pathfinder so there is hope yet! I personally play Castles&Crusades - so whilst still fantasy its not Pathfinder/PFS.

Blog Entries
    The advantage the PFS stuff has is that it is pathfinder society ORGANIZED play. That tends to be why it's more organized than other stuff... and why there tends to be more of it. Members of the group are heavily involved in the organization of the Con and in making the whole thing happen. Does that mean that those same members aren't promoting, running, and playing in other games and rulesets? Absolutely not... but I think before we could go about organizing a Con that catered specifically to other genres and/or rulesets... some of those other groups would need to get 'organized'.
    Honestly though.. joking aside.. there was a large push for Savage Worlds games at FGCon IV. (I'm not sure if they all came off or not) Which I thought was great, I don't know if those guys were organizing themselves or if it just worked out that way. Communicate with the community in the area where you want to see more action, run some games, make it happen. That's what I do. I've been running 3 games a Con for .. well ... 4 Cons.. and I play in as many games as I can. This thing is growing and growing.. but if you want to organize a bunch of games that cater to a specific group. Go for it!
    Damned's estimate about breaking 50 games is a small increase IMO... but it all depends on who is organizing what... and the whole thing only happens if GMs are running games.

I think if Doug utilizes the Steam advertising for the CON, we will get a HUGE turnout next con.

I do plan on running a Battletech/MechWarrior scenario for FGV and a couple of C&C games.
    ULTIMATE License GM

IVE BEEN HERE FOREVER!

Traveller, C&C, Cypher System!

AKA: ☆𝟚𝟠𝕞𝕞ℝℙ𝔾☆ Youtube

Thread Information