DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Is 4E unpopular with FG-ers?

Looking at the game list here: https://www.fg-con.com/events/ there is not one D&D 4E session. Why?

Blog Entries
    Can't speak for others. For me 4E is a great ruleset/game to run under FG however after 5 years of running 4E D&D campaigns and adventures, my group feels its time to move on. We've been playing 5E for the last 6 months in an attempt to rekindle our passion for the earlier editions. 5E is still pre-release and the FG ruleset still under test however is quite stable for running games.
    FG Project Development
    Next Project(s)*: Starfinder v1.2 Starship Combat

Current Project:
    Starfinder v1.1 - Character Starships
    Completed Projects: Starfinder Ruleset v1.0, Starfinder Core Rulebook, Alien Archive, Paizo Pathfinder Official Theme, D&D 5E data updates
    * All fluid by nature and therefore subject to change.

Blog Entries
    Hey El Condoro - we dont tell anyone what they have to run at FG Con. Sadly we have not had any 4E at the last 2 FG Con's. Its probably getting a bit late to post a session for FG Con 4 now but we would welcome a 4E session if you want to run one for the next FG Con? If you want to run one this time round make sure you let everyone you normally game with know about it and I will be spruiking it everywhere I can too.

Thanks, damned. I'm one of these 'used it but not DM-ed with FG' people. I was hoping to get involved as a player first and then - maybe - have a go at DMing. I am not that linked into the FRPG community anyway and was just curious as to whether 4E was not popular. It might be that more people are looking for that change that Zeus wrote of. Seems like it might be time to look a bit more closely at 5E for the future.

Blog Entries
    You will find that a *lot* of Fantasy Grounds users use it within their own gaming groups and dont really advertise for players or for GMs here.
    Im sure there are a lot of 4E games going on - there are always requests for help using the parsers etc so there are definitely new people using it all the time.

Whilst there are no 4E games going there are plenty of Pathfinder, Savage Worlds and a stack of other games going. On the rare occasions (1 day a year!) I get to go out and play at a Con I go and play one or two games Ive never played and one or two favourites Its good to try out some new things and you will also learn lots about using Fantasy Grounds and about GMing by playing with people you dont normally play with.

Plenty of AUS friendly gaming slots too. The last 3 games that were added (in the last 24 hours) were Numenera, Rolemaster Classic and DCC! All look like fun. Im running 3 or 4 sessions and helping to organise so my time is limited but I would like to sneak into a Savage Worlds game too.

My group is still playing the 5E Playtest rules (from last year) and we all decided to pretty much stick with that until release. The game sessions run faster (especially combat) and our mid-week sessions are time-limited to begin with. We all started with Fantasy Grounds on 4E but have just found 5E to suit us better.

Quite the opposite, from what I have seen over the years. 4E was one of the big reasons we as a community gained the estimable Moon_Wizard as a permanent developer. It's also the reason we've been the recipients of such an upwelling in support for a standardized set of features that were once only available in the 4E ruleset.

If anything, the reason you don't see many 4E games currently is much of the community have played so many of them, we are looking to other pastures. Pathfinder, 5E, Savage Worlds, Rolemaster, Castles and Crusades and even two games of Mutants and Masterminds (which I would love to see more) are my own rulesets visited after playing years of 4E.

I for one am glad we don't have a staunch cadre of 'edition warriors' that refuse to try other games in our community. As much as I have grown tired of the 4E system due to my high level of exposure, I see a time in my future when I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever in playing a campaign in 4E... just not the now.

It's kind of what I suspected - a popular game or system can become stale when played 'too much'. It's my timing that is the problem - I have had the 4E books for years but never got into it. Now I am, a lot of others are looking elsewhere!

I will be interested to see how 5E goes in FG, too - the reviews I have read seem negative, on balance, of the 5E system (not the FG one) but reviewers are not always reliable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by El Condoro View Post
    I will be interested to see how 5E goes in FG, too - the reviews I have read seem negative, on balance, of the 5E system (not the FG one) but reviewers are not always reliable.
    some people like change some do not. unhappy people tend to complain louder than happy people praise...

Quote Originally Posted by El Condoro View Post
    I'll give 5E a whirl, I didn't think I would like 4E, but I did. I've played and run some of the beta versions. Its biggest advantage so far is its fast to play. The potential worst characteristic is they are trying to please everyone - and if they fail; they might end up pissing *everyone* off instead.

Thread Information