DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 3 of 24 First 1234513 ... Last
    I would like to also recommend that you include Fractal Mapper in this thread. I would describe it as a very light version of Campaign Cartographer, with reduced feature depth... but along with that, greatly reduced price and complexity. It's a decent mapping program at a reasonable price point, and as Magnatude showed above, does a lot more than a tiling or web-based freebie program. A good mid-priced option.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." - John Shedd
    "Why is it every time we need to get somewhere, I get waylaid by jackassery?" - Dr. Thaddeus Venture
    -- CA (Pacific time zone) --

Blog Entries
    Toyed around with both FM and CC, but nothing beyond demos. I couldn't produce anything close to being half as good as what has been thrown up in this thread...really nice stuff.

It takes a little time to get used to the software, but its really about letting the software do what its best at. CC is CAD based mapping, there's a steep learning curve to it...just like with Photoshop and GIMP, but once you get past that, you can produce some pretty amazing results quickly. That dungeon map wasn't "quick" but I've produced some in an hour or two. the campaign map...well, its still not finished. I have lots of open areas in it but that's my fault

Blog Entries
    When I GM'd tabletop it was mostly in Kalamar or the Forgotten Realms so didn't need much in the way of maps that I couldn't do by hand. Then in the lull in my playing there was no reason for me to make maps. So it was more from not needing to make maps, then lack of a desire, that I didn't spend a lot of time trying to learn any kind of mapping software.

Though I did pick up Campaign Cartographer (with both Dungeon and City Designer) today so I will force myself to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortar View Post
    Toyed around with both FM and CC, but nothing beyond demos. I couldn't produce anything close to being half as good as what has been thrown up in this thread...really nice stuff.

Just keep in mind tho...
    You have to get used to the tools. FM doesn't have much tutorials out there, I'm one of the few mappers that use it and actually makes his own vector symbols within it. I've used CC3 for years as well, and there is a lot more learning with that as well.
    I'm also using one of those fancy WACOM Cintiq's, (a pen/tablet or tablet PC or your touch-phone with an app will work great as well)

The Vector mapping tools (FM and CC3) are excellent for zoom in/out and keeping the shapes nice.
    Using bitmap (even in the Vector based mappers) distorts the pixels when you zoom in.

Story is key tho... yeah nice maps are cool, but I also play in games where the GM makes due with simple drawings or "borrowing" images... and I like their storytelling skills, which keep me coming back. I know, yeah, some people just like hacknslash over a nice backdrop of mesmerizing color...

If you can draw... scan it! Take a photo of it... try different things, sometimes even "Paint" works in a pinch.

Remember the old Middle Earth map? .. so simple yet brought so much imagination.
    Attachment 6596

Oh yes... sometimes I just find a picture of the inside of a Tavern, not a map, just a picture, there are quite a few online using Google Images. AND I also have photos I bring in, of swamps and stuff...
    Attachment 6598

GM: You're going to ride the horse and cart through the swamp?
    Player: Yeah, swamps are no big deal... I'll make a Riding/Animal Handling skill check, be through there in no time...
    GM:
    Attachment 6597

Player: Oh... I guess not.
    Last edited by Magnatude; May 31st, 2014 at 07:37.
    ULTIMATE License GM

IVE BEEN HERE FOREVER!

Traveller, C&C, Cypher System!

AKA: ☆𝟚𝟠𝕞𝕞ℝℙ𝔾☆ Youtube

Anyone know what happened to https://quickanddirtymaptutorials.com/ ?

I've been following that site waiting for the book to be released in August, and as of a few days ago the web site no longer works. It just redirects to some other weird site. It was a kickstarter that made WAY more than the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by TalonKaine View Post
    Anyone know what happened to https://quickanddirtymaptutorials.com/ ?

I've been following that site waiting for the book to be released in August, and as of a few days ago the web site no longer works. It just redirects to some other weird site. It was a kickstarter that made WAY more than the goal.
    Follow Michael Turney (the author) on his Google+ page: https://plus.google.com/114973083292...8/posts?cfem=1

He posts lots of maps he is working on. I download them all and add them to my map library!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

He is still an active member of Library of Gaming Maps Google+

He makes a lot of creative maps
    ULTIMATE License GM

IVE BEEN HERE FOREVER!

Traveller, C&C, Cypher System!

AKA: ☆𝟚𝟠𝕞𝕞ℝℙ𝔾☆ Youtube

Cool.. I'll follow him there. Is he still planning on releasing the books?

Quote Originally Posted by TalonKaine View Post
    Cool.. I'll follow him there. Is he still planning on releasing the books?
    I haven't heard anything to the contrary. He's been a bit quiet on the subject after posting that the first book might have been out early. The original schedule was for August 2014...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information