5E Character Create Playlist
Page 48 of 104 First ... 3846474849505898 ... Last
    it does it with 3.5 stuff also. and yeah its commas. I had the same issue but I just edited all my prices because of the PP GP SP CP string issue. so I wasnt thinking about it earlier.

Yeah, its because costs are recorded as strings, not as numbers/numerics - I've got to strip out the "sh!t" and convert everything over, which basically means using regex, but regex was never my strong suite and lua-regex is just different enough from "standard" regex that it really gives me a headache
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10
    LinkedIn Profile: www.linkedin.com/in/mjblack

Watch our games on Twitch: www.twitch.tv/dulux_oz

Support Me on Patreon: www.patreon.com/duluxoz

Past Games, etc, on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/c/duluxoz

Another thing I've noticed is giving out parcel coins with the 5e ruleset changes their counter to upper case GP which doesn't register as currency with which they can shop.

Quote Originally Posted by spite View Post
    Another thing I've noticed is giving out parcel coins with the 5e ruleset changes their counter to upper case GP which doesn't register as currency with which they can shop.
    Yeah, the "gp" ~= "GP" issue is a known one - still trying to figur out a practical solution
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Quote Originally Posted by dulux-oz View Post
    Yeah, the "gp" ~= "GP" issue is a known one - still trying to figur out a practical solution
    Cool, its not just me doing it wrong.
    Otherwise bloody loving the extension dulux, can't believe it's taken me until now to try it out.
    Thanks!

Hi Dulux,
    I just updated ALL of the DOE extensions and now all EXCEPT the base extension is red "X" on the campaign load screen. Did I skip an instruction or in some other way oops?

Thanks in advance

Sorry, problem found, for whatever reason the DOEBase Ent didn't copy correctly. All is right with the world.
    Last edited by Weepdrag; February 25th, 2016 at 18:51.

only reasonable method I can think of is to use regex to look for capitalized strings and switch them in the holding variable to something else, would potentially be expensive depending on how and when you're parsing that data, but since item instances are copies of item data from somewhere, and your shops make copies that don't affect the original, changing 120 GP to 120 gp should be feasible.

On another topic, this is well ahead of where I am now, but I am currently working on a BattleTech ruleset, hoping to be able to pack A Time of War rules and Total Warfare rules into a single package; hoping to make it compatible with your locations extension in the long run, as locations is a big part of things, possibly the organizations one as well, for merc groups and such, as players often end up part of or running merc groups in such campaigns.

If you'd be willing to chat about this, I'd appreciate the time, thanks!
    Ultimate License Holder

Yeah, I was thinking about the Regex option a s well - but don't forget, it's got to handle all curriency types from all rulesets - a big job. One I'm working on, but it slow going (especially as I need to make a living as well - and yes, that's a not so subtle hint for people who use my Extensions to become sponsors and/or make a donation so I can continue to work on this stuff).

As far as making a new ruleset compatible as long as the new ruleset is based on the CoreRPG (and all new rulesets should be) then making any of my Extensions work with the new ruleset should be relatively easy. Because the Extensions are loaded "on top of" the ruleset, its the Extension's job to make sure it works properly. Of course, if the Ruleset does things in a radically different way to the CoreRPG then getting the Extension to work may not be worth the effort required.
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Oh I hadn't forgotten, I've been reviewing currency options from BattleTech

I am definitely basing it on CoreRPG, the main issue as I'm working on it, is not being aware of what changes (and my changes so far are quite large), will break compatibility, what things I should not be replacing, etc.

The character sheets are nothing remotely related to most setups for characters, which I don't imagine would affect your extensions, but I am unsure on how far that goes. Another for instance there I guess is in the inventory window, the items setup will need to be substantially different.

I was considering coding it up to not allow direct entry of items, and only accept dragged item links, so that all the data is accessible in a format that's guaranteed to fit the combat system I build. So people can equip items, it will calculate encumbrance, change their ability to move, and so forth, the type of automation that's missing from most rulesets. There are also a much larger variety of currencies to care about and convert between, much larger than the list size in the default inventory screens in most rulesets.
    Ultimate License Holder

OK, so all of my Extensions are self contained, except where explicitly stated below. This means that you can change things to your heart's content in FG's various systems and they won't effect the Extensions, except where there is explicit tie-ins. With the tie-ins, normally all they are is a windowreference link (ie a name string and a DB-node string) so again, provided the new ruleset follows the naming-convention of the CoreRPG you should be OK.

For example, all the NPC lists in the Extensions are simply windowreference links, as are the links to Organisations in the Locations Extension, Places in the Weather and Organisations Extensions, etc.

The one issue is around building inventories - these aren't links but are actual copies (this is what allows the price to be "marked up" when an Item is dragged to a shop to "stock" it).

In that case the things to remember is that the price is a string, and the weight is a numeric. The windowclass that is opened when clicking on an item (in a building's inventory) is the ruleset's item-system window, so as long as there is consistency AND the (new) item-system has a price string and a weight numeric it should be OK.

As an example of where things got complicated: in the Savage Rulese Ruleset they use 4 different item-trypes (weapon, armour, etc) and, more importantly, 4 different item-record-types (4 different item windowclasses). All other rulesets use just one item-record type and only one item windowclass (even though it may appear to be more because of tabs or special entryfields, etc). So it getting the shopping function to work correctly with the Savage Worlds Ruleset I had to write 4 different sub-functions - a real PITA.

So please, don't do that in the BT Ruleset!

As far as different currencies is concerned, the DOEs will handle as many different currencies as you can imaging (as consequence of being multi-ruleset-compatable). What they won't do (yet) is convert from one denomination to another - its still up to the players to do these conversions manually BEFORE buying or AFTER selling items. I am working on a co-Extension to do the currency-conversions automatically, but its taking a while - it should be able to handle any currency or set of currencies that you throw at it (at the moment I've got it converting between Pounds-Shillings-Pence and US$-USc, but more work still needs to be done).
    Dulux-Oz

√(-1) 2^3 Σ Π
    ...And it was Delicious!

Alpha-Geek
    ICT Professional
    GMing Since 1982
    NSW, Australia, UTC +10

Thread Information